• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carolina Aviation Museum-Charlotte, NC

FrankUSMC

A couple of notes on some of the birds in the photos.
The Ch46 Marine helocopter in the photo, was called the Medal of Honor bird by the squidrons that had her. I can try to look up the story she was involved in a firefight in Viet Nam and one of the Marines she had just picked up ran off her to rescue another wounded Marine. The Marine was later awarded the Medal of Honor. I read the story years ago when the CH46 was given to the museum.
The F4 in the photo is one lucky bird. We had alot of F4s here and were converting them into drones. One way flight to shot down. A few of the F4s were pulled from the program and sent to museums that wanted them. Most were made into drones.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

mtnrebel

your right frank, i didn't mention about her, the Medal of Honor bird. She actually was in the sandbox, being used over there, when they found out about her. Being shipped by truck to the port, the tail section hit a low overpass and ripped her tail section off, but it was fully repaired. The chopper is beautiful! and she was named blood, sweat, and tears, cause that was the pilot's favorite group back in the day.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

WOW they built a hangar!!! Nice to see that stuff all get inside!!! The CH-46 came out great since the last time I was there. She was outside and they had some of the repairs done. She was still in her Sand box colors at the time. Do they still have the C-47 or is it gone now???? They also had more than one Mowhawk. BTW, the Mowhawk is a flyer!!!

FrankUSMC

I saw the write up on the CH46 here at MCAS Cherry Point. She might have been rebuilt and repainted here because they did do a write up on her about going to a museum. That is were I work at now is the rebuild facility. We get in HC46s and send them out as new birds. We do get birds in here that are trucked in, then trucked back out for museums.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

asgtoolman

Is this the museum that will house the USAir plane that Captain Sully landed on the river and everyone lived to tell the tale?
I understand it is on the way from New Jersey to Charlotte to a museum.

downeast

Just visited the museum last month. Well worth the trip. FYI, there's a little hamburger stand about a half mile west of the place that makes awesome cheeseburgers. Unfortunately, the name of the joint slips my mind.

asgtoolman

Just visited the museum last month. Well worth the trip. FYI, there's a little hamburger stand about a half mile west of the place that makes awesome cheeseburgers. Unfortunately, the name of the joint slips my mind.
I think that the cholesterol in cheeseburgers blocks something in the brain that makes you forget things; I think this is true but I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly--oops--maybe too many cheeseburgers!

CStillings82

I can't wait to visit the museum. Rumor has it there are two F4s from VMFA-235 at the museum?

I'm still investigating, but there is a chance that they may have the exact F4 that my dad flew. He flew the F4 in VMFA-235.

He passed away 16 years ago but I'm scrounging up as many photos as I can of his bird for comparison. Great to see these photos!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks