• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

welder purchase questions

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I am about to buy a welder and need some advice.
For all intents and purposes I am a beginner at welding and I would like to buy a quality machine that is...
user friendly
easy to find parts and consumables for
and big enough for me to "grow into"

So far I have narrowed the field down to the following machines
Hobart Handler 187 ($600)
Lincoln 180 ($715)
Millermatic 180 ($825)
Millermatic 211 (1011)

What I think I know...
the lincoln is rated for 3/16" in a single pass where all the others are rated for 5/16".
The hobart and miiler machines are made by the same company ie a hobart is a bare bones miller.
Both of the millers have "autoset"

Having said all that, here are my questions....
1. Is the hobart 187 just a miller 180 minus autoset?
2. If so is autoset worth $200 extra
3. If the autoset is worth it, is it worth $200 extra to jump from the mm180 to mm211? (BTW the best price I could find on a hobart 210 was essentially the same as a MM211)

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont forget to check the duty cycle of each. The welder that works best for me is Devilman96.

Stalwart

Go with the autoset, I've been welding for over 30 years, 20+ on mig and I find I cannot set the welder manually better than the autoset can. On the Miller anyway, the welder's fan only comes on when needed and makes for a quiet work area.

BTW, I got mine new on ePay with free shipping and it was the best price I could find. It was sold by a big outfit in the midwest.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I was in the same boat a few years ago and did alot of research and decided on a millermatic 252 because it would do anything i ever needed it to and I have welded everything from 18ga to 1/2" with it and have no complaints with it at all. Very user friendly in my limited knowledge opinion.

Last edited:

paulfarber

I have a Lincoln MIG I picked up from Lowes.. not sure the model but its a standard MIG GMAW/FCAW.

If I had to do it all over again I would pick of the Harbor Freight TIG welder. DON'T LAUGH... these units get HIGH PRAISE from many people.... there are some tool snobs that will never use 'Chinese junk' (yeah.. sure... look at your gear just a *liitle* closer for country of origin).

MiG sucks for thin and tick metal. The HF Tig does TIG for thin, and ARC for thick. TIG has a little higher learning curve but since you are new you should learn quick becuase you have no baggage to re-learn.

Google HF Tig Welder and spend just a little time looking into it.

ZackRidesRed

I would spend a little more now and get the Millermatic 211, if you have it plugged into a 220/240 volt outlet. In my opinion it is twice the machine as the 180 class welders.

When buying a welder for the welding shop I manage I always try to get one with a little more capacity then I will need. Its pretty hard on them to always be ran right at or above duty cycle, especially the small machines like what you are looking at. If taken care of and not ran to hard the 211 should last a hobbyist a life time. I would bet you will never regret spending a little more for the 211.

The Harbor Freight welders have there place (At the end of a chain in a lake?;-)), I'm sure they would work fine for the guy that needs it for small jobs a few times a year.

I'm sure other peoples opinions will differ.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Miller 255 does it all, but I also have an old Lincoln buss box. It's good for farm repair. Rusty and dirty in the wind kind of welding. The Migs can't handle that. Would be nice to have a Tig also. Oh boy here we go, something else to buy!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in the same boat as Gimp. I got a base Lincoln MIG which worked well on patch panels of a restoration I was doing but now that I have improved my welding skills I realize I should have gotten a bigger unit to handle the ranch projects I have. Good luck with your decision.

rickf

If you go with a Lincoln 180 series make sure you get the 180C. The "C" stands for commercial and has a MUCH higher duty cycle. You will not find the C at Lowes or Home Depot, You will have to go to a welding supply. Unless you are welding 1/2" a lot then the 180C is a really good machine.

Rick

Nonotagain

I've got the predecessor to the 211, the DVI.

Having the ability to run on both 120-220 voltages is a major plus.

IMHO, purchasing a Miller machine is the way to go since just about every weld distributor sells Miller.

The auto-set is good for the novice, set thickness and process you want to use and start welding.

The Hobart machines are a few years behind the Miller line with features. All of the accessories for both lines are the same, Miller for torches and Hobart for the foot treadles.

Get a cart when you purchase the welder as the storage for the gas bottle, tips, and cleaning stuff builds up fast in weight.

ryker725

I have a Millermatic 210 (before auto set) and this machine does great until I try to weld auto sheet metal. I have a lot of trouble with thin metal. But for 1/8" up to 3/8 it is great.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a Lincoln MIG and straight AC stick welder....the stick is old as the hills but still welds as good as ever.

I bought a new one a few years ago to replace it with "just in case". It's still in the storage trailer waiting to start work.

If you are going to weld once and a while you can go with an off brand and get by.....since I do a lot of scratch welding and fab work I decided to go with the best I could afford.

ZackRidesRed

I have a Millermatic 210 (before auto set) and this machine does great until I try to weld auto sheet metal. I have a lot of trouble with thin metal. But for 1/8" up to 3/8 it is great.
Try using a .020 wire as well as turning down the voltage and wire feed speed. you should be able to weld sheet metal no problem if you stager the welds and only weld .25"-1" at a time.

Katahdin

I'm a newby as well, I went with the 211. I like it, the Miller Videos are helpful to get it set up and there's an online Mig tutorial you can take. My experience so far is just with .30 mig wire it came with.

Regarding autoset for the 211, please note it only works with .30 and .35 Mig wire. You'll need to dial in your voltage and wire speed for flux core and other wire thicknesses. Its my understanding the .25 wire is best for thin sheet metal, it carries less voltage, less chance of burn through. The 110V Millers, on the other hand, autoset to .25 and .30 wire.

197thhhc

The Millermatic 211 would be my bet. I repaired welders for years and have been to Miller school. I cant praise these welder enough. The autoset is well worth the price especially when welding all the different thickness metal on the deuces

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks