• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Most MV Friendly State(s)

Clutch557

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Steel Soldiers community and I am curious as to which states are the most MV friendly in terms of laws, insurance, people and just overall freedom to have fun in our trucks :cool:.

In other words, if I was looking to move to a MV friendly state, which would be most ideal?

Regards,
Clutch

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Just my personal opinion but I think the southern states are....followed by the midwest and west (excluding the Fruit and Nut State).

I have never had an issue driving, titleing, driving or keeping MV's in my yard.

You milage my vary.

paulfarber

PA has not given me any hassles... they have antique and classic plates and lifetime registration and and no inspections for either.

I had to get a title for for my 43 CCKW and it was painless (expensive and took some time.. but was painless).

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clutch, Welcome! You may be in a "friendly state already. I don't recall reading about any problems coming from there.

In addition, if you purchase a truck from GL auction, you will receive a Florida title for your purchase. People in most other states get the document that is a "right to title", known as the SF97.

Rick

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my personal opinion but I think the southern states are....followed by the midwest and west (excluding the Fruit and Nut State).

I have never had an issue driving, titleing, driving or keeping MV's in my yard.

You milage my vary.
:ditto:

I know TN and AL are pretty good.

From what I've heard, Wisconsin and California are among the worst.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone,

I am new to the Steel Soldiers community and I am curious as to which states are the most MV friendly in terms of laws, insurance, people and just overall freedom to have fun in our trucks :cool:.

In other words, if I was looking to move to a MV friendly state, which would be most ideal?

Regards,
Clutch

First off....

The West Texas Detachment of the SteelSoldiers welcomes CLUTCH aboard :grin: Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

To properly answer your question - in reference to TEXAS - I need to first ask you...
Do you intend to own/operate your vehicle as a "normally registered" truck?
Or, will you be persuing the "historic vehicle" type of registration.

If you are going the historic route, you'll probably want to do some DEEP reading in the following thread...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...-texas-fmv-laws-former-military-vehicles.html

This is all about TEXAS Former Military Vehicles.

Reading that thread will also educate you as to the various aspects of "legality" that you would want satisfactorily answered regardless of which state you're most interested in.

We wish you luck in this MV Hobby. Holler if you need help.

John
San Angelo, TX

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out here in Southern CA I personally have not run into any major problems...YET. Although, I'm not saying CA is completely MV friendly. I verified VIN through AAA, registered Historic through a DMV proxy service and insured through JC Taylor. I have been left well enough alone. But then again I'm not one to take a load of crap from anybody. I have had more compliments than jeers. I ignore the negative and relish in the good memories I may stir up in an old vet.

JDToumanian

followed by the midwest and west (excluding the Fruit and Nut State).
From what I've heard, Wisconsin and California are among the worst.
Hmmm.... 6 years, 5 MVs, over 10,000 miles in my deuce throughout the state and never any problem whatsoever. Not from the cops, not at the DMV, not the city or county.... But then, I do have an acre of worthless desert that nobody pays much attention to.

I think you guys are biased. There have been plenty of threads of folks having problems in TX and KS, but few if any in CA. Sheesh, I can't believe I'm sticking up for this crappy state! :cookoo:

Jon

Last edited:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No issues with the M109 here in California either, I had less trouble registering than what I hear about from other states.

Of course they are trying to make us paint our airsoft weapons solid orange now (not just the tip of the barrel), but that's another battle.

ALFA2

Arizona is pretty good, non emissions and historic vehicle lic plates are available for MV's, based on the year and county in which it is titled.
Hope it helps.
ALFA2

skinnedknuckles

Wisconsin isn't too bad. We now have our HMV plates ( I know we, had to fight to get them, but we got them ), insurance varies from company to company, my neighbors tolerate me. Our new laws regulating HMV's sound a bit too restrictive, but for me and others that I know here it works, until we can get some amendments to the law. You just have to stay with-in the "boundaries" of the law and remember that ,at the present time they don't want us using these vehicles as daily drivers ( I have other vehicles for that, something about fuel mileage and comfort ) until they can get some statistics on the board. They are at least letting us drive our trucks " to and from events and storage, in parades, and out for maintenance drives". There are enough events at pizza places, drive-ins, small car shows to keep one driving around during the warmer months . As for maintenance drives, I firmly believe that if you if you let a vehicle sit too long it goes to @%&$ . I figure a maintenance drive is anything that will prevent that. Of coarse that is dependent on how the officer reads the law. In the last 4 years that I have had military vehicles I have had more waves and compliments both from the police, fire department , civilians (except the ones that get upset about the fact that these trucks don't exactly have lightening acceleration and speed) . The Vets sure like them[thumbzup]:grin:
Thats my 2cents
Paul in Janesville, Wis

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coldwarrior is correct. Texas ( at least in my opinion ) is a very MV friendly state. Welcome Clutch!!
In the interest of promoting TEXAS....

We also have NO STATE INCOME TAX :!:

We have excellent roads and highways :!:

We have such varied climates around the state that you can pick whatever you want :!:

The list goes on and on.....

steelandcanvas

I'll chime in about the great state of Colorado. All HMV's do not have to display a license plate. It must be carried with the vehicle along with registration and proof of insurance, and surrendered to a Leo upon request. We have politicians that are "HMV friendly" and allowed us the no plate ruling.
As a Club, we are highly respected by the Colorado National Guard, and are called upon often to provide HMV's for their functions. We also have taken on vehicle restoral projects for them, and have a MUTT on display in their HQ. Several Club Members have offered the use of their vehicles in a emergency disaster situation, I personally have offered the use of my truck and genset to my Town's Fire Chief. This is one hobby you get back just exactly what you put into it.

RGummere

The only issues Dad and I have had in Indiana was the initial call to the DMV. We were told we had to get a CDL, DOT numbers etc. We called another DMV in another county and sailed right through. Our M-818 is registered as a green, two-door convertible but we don't care what the state calls it as long as we are legal!

New Hampshire is awesome.
No title required for older vehicles.
Antique registration no problem, insurance through AAA (Antique full coverage, very cheap) No CDL required for non-commercial use. No fuel sticker required for non-commercial use. Regular inspections (if its older than 1941 you don't need any inspection)
And I know 80% of the state troopers and local cops in my area by name, they wave at me when I drive by them.:cool:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SC is good. No questions asked when I took the SF-97 in to DMV. You can register the MV in any weight class you want, just as long as you don't cross that weight on the scales.
Plus the fact that a IFTA sticker is unneeded as long as it is a personal vehicle. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks