• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GPW trailer plug question

Kaiserjeeps

I recently rebuilt a M416 in 319 Gillespie paint for a gentleman that wanted to tow it behind his GPW. His wiring is vinyl and not cloth so it looks like someone has replaced it.
His trailer plug is hooked up and goes into the harness near a rear tank. The jeep looks original and is mostly original but it is not. Different transmission and a few other minor things like a kill switch.

From there it the harness goes into the fire wall and headlight switch.

My question??

In all the different stages of the headlight switch, is there any selection that will disable the rear trailer plug? I had headlights and a tail light. Nothing at either terminal of the rear plug. I am assuming my problem is not related to my question, but I thought I would rule it out.
My experiences are mostly with the MV series trucks. I'd take a GPW though...:grin:

Thanks.

Barrman

Al,
The plug should be "live" along with the lights it relays power for. I didn't say that right. If the brake lights on the vehicle are hot, then the brake light pin in the plug should be hot when the brakes are pushed. Same for running and black out lights. Is that what you wanted to know?

Pull that 416 behind your CJ on a trail and you won't want the owner to take it away.

Are you asking about a 3 lever switch or the stock for that model pull to different indent switch?

Kaiserjeeps

Tim, It is an original light switch with the multiple detents as you pull it out. I think you answered my question. If the rear lights work so should the plug. I thought it safe to ask. Never know. I think I asked because ford built it. Just kidding.:jumpin: I don't know the early stuff well despite owning a GPW for a short time in the 80's.
Anyway his trailer is fresh and set up to go with 6 volt bulbs. We will see what gets done on the wiring. Waiting.

Would you believe I stumbled on a 1966 M416 right here in town. My 6 banger CJ hardly knows it's there. I have several hundred miles on it hauling stuff up to the hill. It is unmolested and in good shape. I just added a 4 wire harness and some jeep tail lights. No new holes drilled. They fit the original holes. I have several ideas for it that would leave it original yet functional camping or hauling.
Nice trailers.

Thanks for posting.

paulfarber

original harnesses were wrapped in tape.... so it can be an original. The cloth braiding took way to much time and skill, so they were taped:

2.2.2 Wiring harnesses
GPW wiring consisted of lacquered, cotton insulated wire assembled into harnesses wrapped with shiny black harness tape. The terminals were soldered and the solder joints were covered with short (1”) sections of black rubber tubing. Modern plastic wiring is not acceptable and its use should result in full deduction of wiring points. Original wiring colors were muted, watch out for overly colorful reproduction wiring.
The left front fender (headlamp) wiring harness is shielded for radio suppression. The shielding should be of tinned copper, neatly applied with a cable loom machine. Slip-over shielding braid is not correct.

This is for late jeeps (44-45).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks