• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cranetruck in Hesperia

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
I had a great time with Bjorn and the cranetruck Tuesday and Wednesday... He arrived at my house mid-afternoon on Tuesday after having a bit of trouble; after fueling up earlier in the day he started intermittently losing power. Possibly contaminated fuel or some crud from the tank clogging the primary filter? He particularly had trouble going up Cajon Pass, where he drove on the shoulder at 45mph, but at least he made it to my place. He wanted to drain some of the fuel out of his tank to see what came out, so I provided clean buckets and my jerry can. What I would call "quite a bit" of small rust particles came out... like coffee grounds. Possibly a lot more had made their way into his primary filter and clogged it. I had no spare, so we swapped our primary filters... the one on my truck had only a hundred or so miles on it. I put Bjorn's "dirty" one (which was also not very old) on my truck. I couldn't tell the difference on my truck, but something we did must have made a difference because we drove around quite a bit and the cranetruck had no further problems.

We stopped by Walker Auto & Truck Wrecking here in Hesperia, and didn't find Dave Walker there... as expected. He hadn't answered calls all week or returned messages. It figures he's back now that Bjorn is on his way east... Dave had been out of town all week. Oh well. At least he does mail-order.

After arriving back at my house, I got called to go to work... I'm a locomotive engineer and work "on-call" 24/7. However, there was time for me to follow Bjorn in my deuce over to the local Pilot truck stop a few miles away. Not only was this my first "convoy", but my ride in the cranetruck was the first time I had been in a deuce other than my own.

I ended up getting off work early Wednesday morning so I drove home, got the deuce, and met Bjorn at the truck stop. (Who needs sleep?) :shock: We headed out at 0830 and caravaned from there to Barstow (40 miles) to visit Barstow Truck Parts. We poked around there for half the day before it was time for Bjorn to hit the road and me to head home.

I had a lot of fun and I thought our deuces looked great together since they are both desert camo... And we were in the desert!

Anyway, when Bjorn left Barstow, the cranetruck was running great... Hopefully he can have a safe and enjoyable trip home. What an adventure!

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, what is it with that. Mine of course, is yellow. Rizzos was yellow IIRC. Andy Bell's is half yellow, Jim Hossack in Seattle has a yellow one. Question is, how many aren't. There's just not alot of them out there. I'm de-yellowing mine as quick as I can. The yellow parts swapped out so far include fenders, top, windshield assy, both doors and the tool box door. Battery compartment door is next and hopefully the cab here before long.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Mine was too. It was originally Strata Blue as I've found that color at the bottom of every piece I've stripped and its even under the cowl. Looks like it was Air Force but when painted, its going to be re assigned to the Navy.

JDToumanian

Thanks Guys... I wanted my girlfriend to follow us on the freeway at least part of the way to get some shots of us driving. I thought the two desert deuces rolling along I-15 through the desert would have made great shots... She could even get ahead of us, pull over and get out and take little video clips of us driving by. I especially wanted some pics because mine is eventually going to revert to OD with stars. But although she was pleased to meet Bjorn, she does not particularly like my own deuce let alone the cranetruck... and so was not too interested in the photo op. :roll:

Wait till she sees the 5-ton I am eyeing... I've got GREEN IRON FEVER! ("Why isn't ONE army truck good enough?!", she asks.)

Bjorn took more pics, including a few that feature yours truly, that may get posted after he gets back home and recovers from his trip.

Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks