• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing M818, rear spring question.

Blythewoodjoe

I am looking for some opinions or plain facts too. I am bobbing a M818 and I have read on here that some people use deuce front springs on the rear of a bob to make it less stiff. My thoughts are to use use the 5 ton front springs I have and remove some of the leafs to decrease the stiffness. So the question is, has anyone did this and if so how was it and how did you do it. I don't have a plan yet but I am working on it.

Joe

wehring

joe

Joe,

For the best of both worlds tie in an air ride rear spring kit from a freightliner. Look up my bobbed M925 thread.

For metal springs I would definitely go with 5 ton springs. If you want a better ride then remove springs but I would add a Firestone helper air bag on each side to pick up the slack. These are cheap and work well.

Just my .02

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

eldgenb

2.5 vs 5 ton springs is going to be based on your intended purposes, the cummins enging in the 5 ton weighs in at a little over 3k plus sheet metal plus the majority of the cab weight etc is over the front axle. If you plan on hauling 5k + in the bobber than run the 5 ton springs, if this is a offroad, casual driver, or parade queen run the 2.5 ton's to soften up the ride and keep your fillings in your teeth, unless the customer tells me that they plan on working the truck all of mine get deuce front springs out back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks