• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Large Flatbed MV trailer....

M1075

The HEMATs were designed for use with the HEMTT. I've been looking for one of these to pull behind my M1075 PLS and I plan on bidding on it. If you have a serious interest and plan to bid, please let me know. Thanks.

ida34

I saw a self loading trailer on GL. It looked like it had a crane on the front. Looked pretty cool to me. I just wonder where it got the power for the hydraulics?

jasonjc

ida34 that trailer you are talking about is part of the Marines HEMTT like truck the cab and front two axles are the truck/power unit and then they hook up trailer witch has 2 driving axles also.

gee I hope some one can explain this better then I did

rmgill

ida34

jasonjc said:
ida34 that trailer you are talking about is part of the Marines HEMTT like truck the cab and front two axles are the truck/power unit and then they hook up trailer witch has 2 driving axles also.

gee I hope some one can explain this better then I did
I drove a hemtt in the army and the truck does not have a "trailer unit" The front power section is on the same frame as the back wheels. It does not pivot in the middle like some front end loaders. The front wheels turn at different rates to make up for two different axles steering. Did you look at the trailer. I will post a link. The hemtt has the crane at the rear of the bed and this trailer looked like it had a smaller crane in the front of the trailer. Again, I drove one in the Army.

I could not find the trailer. Unless the HEMTT was radically redesigned I have never seen on that pivoits like a gamagoat and I think that is what you are saying the HEMTT is like.

BigJay

rmgill

ida34 said:
I drove a hemtt in the army and the truck does not have a "trailer unit" The front power section is on the same frame as the back wheels. It does not pivot in the middle like some front end loaders. The front wheels turn at different rates to make up for two different axles steering. Did you look at the trailer. I will post a link. The hemtt has the crane at the rear of the bed and this trailer looked like it had a smaller crane in the front of the trailer. Again, I drove one in the Army.
Ida, the vehicle in question is the MK 48. There's several varieties of rear units and the PLS System with host of attachments for the Palletized Load System.

The Mk48 and the HEMTT are brothers as they're made by Oshkosh and share a lot of features. The Mk48 does bend in the middle. There's the rear unit AND there have been trailers made for them as well. The Ammo Trailer and there's also a PLS trailer in addition to the PLS rear unit. That allows the PLS to carry and load/unload two pallets or containers.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The USMC truck in question here is called a MK 48 LVS. Logistics Vehicle System. It is made by Oshkosh, same guys who make the PLS and HEMTT, so there are alot of similiar parts, and they look similar, but are 2 totally different vehicles. I has a tractor, and several different trailers. More info here... http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/mk48-lvs.htm. The front axles do steer, and the "trailer hookup" is articulated.

rmgill

Yeah. You're right. I'd somehow managed to combine the PLS components onto the Mk48, probably the LVS description. :-/

Anyhow... Emmando, what did you guys hate about the M989 trailer? Too unweildy? Seems like it's just a BIG tag trailer that's pretty short. My tag trailer seems to work just fine behind my deuce. Though I need to add features to it to make it better.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly what you said. Too short to be towed behind a HEMTT or PLS. The A1 version is a totally different trailer, they towed like a dream.

jasonjc

thanks for bailying me out guys I knew what I wanted to say but my fingers some times have a mind of there own.
But I did say that it was a HEMTT "like" truck I to was in the army too but never drove the HEMTT but did ride in a few. The HEMTT and the mk48 are alot alike( but not the same)
:p

rmgill

emmado22 said:
Exactly what you said. Too short to be towed behind a HEMTT or PLS. The A1 version is a totally different trailer, they towed like a dream.
As long as the HEMMT is, I'd think the trailer would do fine no? Or was the length of the tongue a pain and made it easy to jackknife even the long HEMMT?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks