• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auxiliary Weapons Mounts

historyfanatics

Okay, here's a new question for the Gun Truck crowd: how do you secure auxiliary weapons on or in the truck? These would include personal weapons for the crew, not the main armaments (.50's, M60's, etc.).

I am looking for a way to carry my AirSoft M79 in the cab where it is visible during a display, but still secure. It doesn't fit in the rifle racks (and my truck doesn't have those anyway).

Any suggestions?

wsucougarx

Not sure if this is correct with the thumper, but I've seen several pics of troops using the windshield arm set screws to hold their M16's. They simply put the set screw handle through the 16's carrying handle. You could sling your thumber through the screw as well. If you want secure then zip tie the strap to the windshield arm?

Yikes, I confused myself by what I wrote. If you don't understand I'll try and get a pic up;-)

Driver523

3/4 ton Wild Honey----if ya look real close you'll see something else laying there with that M-79-----of the trucks I was on I can't remember any formal tie down, clip in, or kind of holder for anything we carried, most everything had a strap or something to hang it with, M16s on the double walled trucks usually just laid between the armor, but rest assured where ever you put whatever it was, you alwasy knew where it was--------Driver

Attachments

txdodge43man

I see a grease gun :grin:

Robert thats a easy questions to answer but I have a question for you what MV does the museum that had the M79 mounted in it?

the answer is the M114 so look at one of the m114's and copy the mount. also two footman loops and a strap would work. thats my 2cents

JR

historyfanatics

Start with the Outlaw II and I'll look around, hard to tell just what it is holding the M-79 but it is a shot of the inside of the truck--------- Hummmm a .50 ammo can with spent brass-----Driver
Thanks for all the input. The vets I spoke with about the truck told me they didn't have any mounts on the inside to carry weapons. And, as I am trying to build an exact copy of the real truck, I have to follow what they tell me.:roll:

So, I'll just have to find a place near the radio to put a tie-down for the M79. I'll post photos of whenever I get this project finished.[thumbzup]

Darwin T

hi robert,
you getting close? will it be on display at the museum when you finish? i still have not made it by the museum but i will have to make the trip to see "The Widowmaker".

historyfanatics

hi robert,
you getting close? will it be on display at the museum when you finish? i still have not made it by the museum but i will have to make the trip to see "The Widowmaker".
Sort of. I still don't have the mount installed. I'm hoping to get the truck painted this week-end.

I have been trying to get all the little details taken care of before I tackle larger ones.

I did get the headlights "flipped." Thanks goes out to several folks with the Museum. They jumped right in and did in a couple of hours what it has taken me a month of Sundays to do. It helps when you know what you're doing and have the proper tools.

The Museum is doing pretty good. Lots of stuff to see. Hopefully, a new guntruck soon.[thumbzup]

m816

We have a rifle mount in the cab of the Untouchable but the M 79 won't fit it properly and winds up on the floor. So I cleverly hung it by it's strap on the windshield knob. same as the M1 carbine with the airborne stock. All the m-60's have what appears to be a bent fencepost wrapped in tape bolted to the sides Everything else is kind of hung up on the radio hooks at each station in the gunbox. Like Driver says It was put where you could get it when you needed it. I was issued the M14 when I was in country and the only place you could keep it semi safely was in the corner of the cab behind the driver seat. Not very handy but I had a glove box full of grenades. for when needed. Oterwise ya grab a gear and hope for the best getting out of dodge

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert, here is how the M79 was mounted in the V100, looks like maybe what is in Driver's picture. Just a large rubber coated spring clip and a standard vehicle butt stock holder.
The clip has a little bent tab thingy at the bottom rear.

I'm trying to find a source for the clip parts, since I need a couple (okay, 3) for my V100, I will let you know what I come up with.

Looking forward to seeing the gun truck. It would be very cool to have two of them at Temple next year! :jumpin:

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

historyfanatics

Looking forward to seeing the gun truck. It would be very cool to have two of them at Temple next year! :jumpin:

Cheers
Rory,

Looks good. I'll look into acquiring some of those off some of the parts trucks I have been finding. If I can get any that look good, I'll let you know.

I'll bring the marshmellows for next year's roast at Temple.:wink:

Thanks for the info!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks