• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kansas residents wanting change?

Sportsmanfromkc

I know I am new here, and I will be joining the MVPA very soon. But, just trying to get a feel as to how many ks residents would like to see the tagging of mv's change to resemble how other states are doing it. Using the numbers on the bumper instead of a tag, keeping the tag in the vehicle not on it. My uncle is a state rep and I spoke with him about this tonight and he said when the session is open again he would be willing to help us.

rcflyer70

I really like the idea of not having to display a tag. Of coarse, that is as long as it doesn't affect the $17.00 a year I pay for the tag - that is cheap by any standard.

91W350

Our antique tags are free once purchased, I bought a personalized tag, so it cost a little extra, we do have annual property tax though. Glen

Last edited:

KsM715

I like the idea as long as it doesnt screw with the "use" of the vehicle. I was informed by my county DMV that KS has regular antique and "Heavy" antique and with either one you can drive all you want and haul cargo without hassle.

91W350

Saline County did not say anything about heavy tag, but they did say there was no weight limit. Haul what I want, run as many miles as I want, just nothing commercial. Glen

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it looks bad to display tags on MVs, especially during events, it is better than the alternative. Take Wisconsin law for example. They have a military tag that looks great, but there are limitations of where and when they can drive them on the roads. In Kansas, the MVPA local club working with the MVPA main office, was instrumental in getting a Kansas Law on the books that would protect us from this type of restriction. We can drive them just as any antique owner can and pay only antique rates. Here is the state law:

8-166

Chapter 8.--AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
Article 1.--GENERAL PROVISIONS
8-166. Registration of antique vehicles; antique military vehicles; definitions. The following words and phrases when used in this act shall for the purpose of this act have the following meaning:
(a) "Antique" means any vehicle, including an antique military vehicle, more than 35 years old, propelled by a motor using petroleum fuel, steam or electricity or any combination thereof.
(b) "Person" means every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, corporation, club or organization.
(c) "Antique military vehicle" means a vehicle, regardless of the vehicle's size or weight, which was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design, except that an antique military vehicle shall not include a fully tracked vehicle.
(d) The words and phrases defined in K.S.A. 8-126 and 8-126a, and amendments thereto, when used in this act shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by such sections.
History: L. 1955, ch. 62, § 1; L. 2006, ch. 136, § 4; July 1
The registration of these vehicles being antique (if they qualify with age) or a standard tag allows us to drive them on the roads anywhere with only antique restrictions (mainly hauling or using as a commercial vehicle). Some cities are fighting this STATE LAW, by trying to add more restrictions, such as parking them, but they will not change the tagging of these vehicles since the law is in place.

I think it would be best to leave this issue as is since it is to all of our advantages.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Makes me no never mind. I run the antique tag on my MV's that qualifies to have one and on the newer stuff a normal tag I have them mounted so when it is display time off the come.

Sportsmanfromkc

I belive my uncle was on the transportation board when the issue about half tracks came through. Anyways it was just an idea, he has been in office for a long time now and sounded like he would be eager to help if we wanted it. I was looking forward to using just the Id numbers on the bumper and keeping tag in the glove box. If we do this he would not steer us wrong and turn it against us. For a politician he is very honest. Guess you could say he is one of the good ones. Keep the feedback coming in. Thanks.

jollyroger

In your neighboring state, Colorado, the MVCC got a bill passed into law where we still have to register a MV, pay for the license plates but we don't have to display them outside the vehicle. We can display them outside the vehicle but we don't have to.

If we decide to not display the license plates on the outside of the vehicle we have to have the license plates and registration inside the vehicle at all times and have to show them to Law enforcement officers upon request.

We can run any kind of license plate we were running before the law was passed. They just don't have to be on the outside of the vehicle anymore.

And now we can register equipment using bumper numbers, hood numbers and other painted on identification numbers. This really helps with trailers and with the whole question over the 13 or 16 or 92 digit vehicle identification number issue.

I really like how the bill was worded, what it does and the problems that it solved for us in the MV hobby here in CO.

I would recomend you do this kind of thing if you have an opportunity to do so.[thumbzup]

undysworld

As was mentioned previously, the recent Wisconsin HMV law is pretty restrictive in what you can do with your vehicles. But even worse, WisDOT is currently citing that law as authority to deny normal registration for ex-govt. surplus GM Blazers and Pickups.

So a law written to enable collectors to license collector's vehicles is instead gutting the rights of others who want(ed) to use their vehicles to do things. That was not how it was intended.

If/when you pursue a legislative change, be very careful in how you word it, to make sure it accomplishes what you want. Otherwise, you're stuck trying to fix it later.

col.halftrack

While I would love the tagless look we have it pretty good in Kansas. It was very gratifying to be involved in the defeat of KsDMV's attempt to throw all MVs off Kansas roads. I am very proud of how all MV owners stood together. My advice would be: Before getting to far we would have a representative meet with the respective Senate and House transportation committee chairmen. Only if they were firmly behind this would it be a good idea. Even then you are opening a statute to modification and it can go badly.
Kevin Lockwood

Sportsmanfromkc

I hear what you guys are saying, but before we do anything my uncle would talk to everyone and do his political thing he does. Not gonna lie I have no clue what's involved but I do belive he would tell us no from the get go if he didn't think we could get what we want. Miami county is not the largest county by any means but he had been doing this along time and knows when to dot the I's and cross his T's.

91W350

Personally, I would rather just leave it rest. It would be our luck that some clown in the legislature would think we have no right to use the roads in our trucks or that we should pay extra due to their weight. That antique tag law is a fantastic break, I am all for letting it rest.

steelandcanvas

I Agree

Personally, I would rather just leave it rest. It would be our luck that some clown in the legislature would think we have no right to use the roads in our trucks or that we should pay extra due to their weight. That antique tag law is a fantastic break, I am all for letting it rest.
I agree with you Glen. Let the dust settle a little bit before you start poking at the hornet's nest again. Someone could raise their ugly head and bite you again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks