• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where's Cranetruck?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone heard the progress on Bjorn? haven't heard in a while, wondering how he's doing!

Jones

RE: Where

Me too neither. Hope he's still chugging along. Texas seems even bigger when you're driving across it and islands of comfort or contact with the outside world are few and far between.

CGarbee

I was wondering last night as well... Especially since I spotted an item for sale on Ebay yesterday and got to thinking that he would be a great resource for hauling it home if he hadn't passed its location yet...

jasonjc

He's in OKC working on his M757 8X8. Last I talk to him he was planing on towing it home in a few more days I think?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Where

Jones said:
Thanks for the update Jason. Always worry when one of the brood is away from the nest.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic Jones! I can't wait to see Bjorn's latest project. Hey Bjorn, if you read this, don't forget to stop in WV on your way home and pick up the Goat :wink:

Yeah, like Leonard says, we miss our other siblings when away.
I tuned in here specifically to check on Bjorn's progress.

Speaking of Leonard..............

I had the opportunity to meet Leonard and the Baby Hemtt but only in a very truncated visit as I was in transit. Holy S*&T!! That HEMTT is a monster!! I have some new updated pictures that I will download later this weekend when I have a static moment. I am still in the process of moving my wife's things from one city to the next.

Will Wagner if you read this.............I stopped by Tony's to re-register my Deuce in California as a historical and was there at 11:45. I found out that they are open from 1-4pm only. :cry:

Will try again today on my way through to Riverside.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OOPS, I knew that...forgot to tell you! Isn't it funny how great minds think alike, I was wondering about bjorn last night too! Glad he's all ok.

Elwenil

Tractor? Isn't that the 8x8 like Tom in MD had minus the expansible van body? I seem to remember pics of it being posted a month or so ago.

jasonjc

He did too its the one that M1075 found a school had put a flat bed on it and evey one thought it was a cargo. The last I talk too him he was takeing off the bed get a fith wheel off a five ton and going to use my tow bar too tow it home. IF things go good... I bet he wont make many side trips on the way home pulling that beast. Plan "B" is if it does not seem to be pulling to good is to devert to my place for storage and start making plan "C".I have not heard from him in a few days so I'm not shure how thing are going.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! You guys are the best! I have been here in Oklahoma for almost a week now, working the old cranetruck to death. Lots of little jobs on a site being cleared of all MV's.
I'm staying with Charley Bell and his wife while we prepare the XM757 for the trip to Virginia.
Got the homemade bed and top off of it and tested the brakes today. Truck is in great shape. Pictures later tonight when we have a few reduced to manageable size (dial-up).
Everything on the lot is scrapped and several trucks are hauling off the burnt debris. Grove cranes like the one spicergear has are hauled off to the scrapper and they get about $125/ea !!!!! for them, none left now....

Queston for David Doyle...how many XM757's were built? This one may be a truck tractor, but there is no evidence that a 5th wheel was ever mounted on it, only regular bed mounts. We removed a 5th wheel set from a 5-ton tractor for future use.

Charley's mother Edna lives on the property and it's a pleasure to be able to use the cranetruck to help clear bulky items from the vicinity of her home. Almost everything burnt and if it hadn't been for Charleys firefighting efforts, much more would have been lost. A fully equipped and well stocked shop was lost to the grass fire, mostly due to a trailer loaded with aircraft tires, which was parked next to the shop. When it caught fire the heat from it ignited shelves stocked with everything thinkable (MV style) inside the shop.
Charley's brother Gary lost his restored M35, which is now a rusty hulk, fiberglass strands covering the burnt out bed. Gary is trying to get the whole sad story behind him while Charley is doing his best to get the most out of what is left for his mother.
Charley is a super guy, helping with the XM757 and trying to save parts from the scrappers, but so much is damaged by the heat. The XM757 was not touched by the fire....
The fire started on April 6th 2006.

More later,

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Glad to see you are alive and well Bjorn. I can't wait to hear all about your trip. I am going to have to make the trip over to western va to see this truck for myself. Stay safe!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some images from my visit here in Oklahoma. Having some problems with resolution, so if Mike can help resize the pictures that would be ok.

We hooked up Jason's towbar today and got lights and brakes working. Hoping to leave tomorrow after a test drive.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks