• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Warthog, Alredneck, and SS in general

Midnight Rider

I will start this by saying that of the boards/forums/etc.. that I have been a member of, there are 3 times that other members have gone above and beyond what you would think a person would do for another. Especially someone they don't really know and could be a million miles away from.

In this age of Me First/Others Second, I want what's Mine, and I Deserve It; it has been nice to find some that restore my faith in humanity.

The first time was on another board involving motorcycles. I had bought a Suzuki Katana and immmediately joined a board called KatanaPlanet. (It no longer exists.) The bike had a slighty damaged fairing on it and since this was my first bike I wanted to fix it up right. After looking awhile, I saw someone on that board had a brand new, still in the box, straight from Suzuki fairing that fit my exact year. This person sold me this item at a heck of a price and sent it to me before he ever got my money. He could have easily charged me triple the price and it would have been worth it.

The second time was here. I had been having some issues with my 1009 running rough/stalling. After searching ( Yes, searching, though troublesome at times, is still your best friend.) and reading various posts, it came about that I might need a new injection pump.
Now, not having lots of money to go and purchase a new IP was an issue. However, upon further searching I found a post where someone mentioned Alredneck as having some used take-off IP's for sale. I immediately sent him a PM to see if he did and he did. Upon trying to figure out the exact amount to send to him for the pump, I found he had already sent it my way.
So, he didn't know me from Adam and though he had my address, I could have easily taken the IP and not paid him. But he wasn't worried in the least bit. I sent him a check as fast as I could and then something else happened. He didn't get the check. Now I was really in a bind, I could not stand here in good conscience having this IP and not having paid for it. He graciously said to wait and see if it ever came. I don't remember how long it took, but I do remember I was thinking of taking a road trip to pay him in person. It came about he did finally receive it and it had been mixed in with some other mail. In the end, I knew if I ever need anything else and he had it for sale, it would be a no brainer to buy from him.

The third time just happened today and was what made me remember I should have posted up my thanks publicly to Alredneck.
Warthog posted up a poll about the Doghead relay mod. I had posted that I had not done this mod, mainly because I hadn't need to do it. Someone else posted that it would be better to do it now, instead of having to pay for some real problems later.
I posted that I didn't have spare money for that and since the 1009 was running fine, I didn't see a justification for this purchase. Warthog posted that it wasn't that much. I foolishly posted back about my situation when this wasn't really the place for it and it wasn't a concern of anyone else. I'm not sure why I did it, more than likely a brain fart.
However, I am glad I did because Warthog's next post was telling me to PM him and he would send me the parts. While I appreciate his offer, I did humbly decline.

I don't know about you, but I know I probably couldn't drive into town and ask some random stranger to buy me parts for my truck. I'm also pretty sure that I couldn't ask that stranger to buy me the parts and I would pay him back a week or so later.

You always read the feel good stories of others help people out and you think, there's still hope for us after all. But it means so much more when it happens to you personally.

I also think thanks should go out to this board in general. I mentioned that this had happened to me 3 times. 2 of those were on this board. I dare anyone to find another board out there where the members are willing to help, basically complete strangers.

So I hope I haven't rambled too much and I hope my wall of text doesn't give anyone a headache. (I did try to space it out, but I haven't typed this much in awhile.)

Thank you again, Alredneck and Warthog. I know I can sleep a little better tonight knowing people like you are still in this world.

[thumbzup]

OSO

How did you get all that down before the site kicked you off ? Tried to type some stuff quite informative and when I went to post the site time out, and I lost everything I had just typed out !

Midnight Rider

How did you get all that down before the site kicked you off ? Tried to type some stuff quite informative and when I went to post the site time out, and I lost everything I had just typed out !
Would you believe I'm a really fast typer? :cool:

Actually, I type it all out and then copied it all to notepad. When I tried to submit it, it kicked me out. But I just logged back in and it posted it up then.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog is a huge asset to this site. His posts on CUCV electrical issues are fantastic, and he finds time to help nearly every CUCV owner that posts their electrical issues. He is very much appreciated by me, for his contributions.

Thank you very much,

DH

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
For long post, Since I type so slow ( really one finger slow) I copy then try to post, if timed out, i just paste to the reply box the second time around

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had the pleasure of working with Alredneck but can confirm Warthog is a superior human being in all aspects and I get confirmation of that from anyone else that knows him as well.

91W350

In spite of all the flack he takes, you can add Gimpy Rob to that good guy list. When my alternator puked, he sent me a PM, unsolicited and sent me one before I sent out a check. The alternator was on my deuce and I was rolling five days before my check cleared my bank.

I see several members going out of their way to help people and Chris seems to jump right into the deuce problems, any deuce problem. It is great to have a resource like that. I have met Chris in person at a truck stop, when he and Westy were making their flying trip through Kansas with the two deuces and 105. It was one of those "hi, How Ya doin, have a safe trip, gotta go" meetings.

We have many members that have passed along great information or little tips along the way. I would like to thank the masses for their continued contributions.

I also appreciate all of Warthog's input on the CUCV forums. That guy goes out of his way to help people.

You know, I do not get out of Kansas much, not that the rest of the states are not worth visiting, I just have not finished this one off yet. But I can sit here and think of outstanding people from this forum in many states, great bunch of guys.... bonded by a common interest, pretty unique really. When I think of going someplace, I always wonder if I will get a chance to meet XXXXXX along the way. Thanks for that network. Glen

Barrman

You guys that are getting kicked off trying to type long post. Click the "remember me" box when you log in next time. I have never had that problem because I always click the box, but Warthog helped somebody out with that advice on another site a few days ago and I thought I would pass it along here.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a humble man of humble means. I have been blessed untold number of times and just try to "Pay It Forward". God gave me a mechanical talent and I attemp to put it to good use.

And my wife wonders why I spend so much time here with the SS Brotherhood.

Let's see her do that with her Facebook friends.....:wink:

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have been on SS for several years and it has become a constant in my life....kind of like the Army.

99 percent of the folks I have met here are great folks that will do all they can to help a fellow member out. The bad ones are quickly rooted out and kicked off.

When my son's house burned a few years ago many members sent donations to help him out.

We all remember the generosity that has been passed on to members that have had tragedys in their lives.

Alredneck saved my bacon a while back......I was stranded in Ohio with a broke down Dodge dually and a heavily loaded trailer. Capt and Woodywood drove up there and hauled me back to Alabama for little more than fuel money.

This is more than a hobby....it is a brotherhood of good folks that support each other as best they can.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We do call that paying it forward. It happens very frequently here on Steel Soldiers. One of the other sites I belong to actuall has a PIF forum. Here its just folks offering up stuff others need. I hope everyone touched by the PIF bug can do the same for some other person wether the are members here or not.

Happyland1410

I am also lucky enough to live near Warthog. I bought my first deuce from him and I have been the recipient of his selfless willingness to help. I have also had the pleasure of meeting several other great SS members here in Oklahoma. We joke about this hobby as being an addiction or a disease but with the caliber of people I see here I believe I am in good company and have no desire to be cured.

3dAngus

SS has been my number one souce of knowledge base for learning about Mvs.

I try to give a little back to SS through the donation cup every now and then in return for 'Excellence in community affairs". The guys are great, the knowledge is in depth, and the jokes suck but you can't win them all. rofl
This site has it all.
For being so ignorant about MVs when I first came on here, I have learned much and hope to one day pass some of it on. Still looking, and now ready, for my first deuce. My first learning leg is over, but I am a student for a lifetime.

It's nice to hear things about the individual guys from time to time. I always believed a persons commitment and charity should be well recognized from time to time.
Thanks to all those who help those who need help.

M715VFD405

While I don't know Alredneck I've been talking to Warthog since I joined this site and M715zone.com and he is all and more then what you all have said. It is an honor to know him and really great to know people like him are still in this world. My hats off to anyone that treats others as he does. I know I have and always will endeavor to follow his example.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks