• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TOCCOA GA. military collecters show

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
on oct 14 ,from 1000 hr to 1700 hr in toccoa ga. theres going to be a show, being held at the airport. the following is from the flier

this is where the101st airborn trained before going off to normandy in 1944, there will be vehicle displays,re-enactments and encampments, airborn drop operations, vets from all the wars, tables with military memorabila and other stuff military.

ive talked to one of the guys in charge, he would be glad if we brought our military vehicles, he told me that 3 different US military uints will be represneted with both vechiles and chopers, and a S.C. group was coming with some stuff including at least one half track.

he is going to send me some info on this which ill post as soon as i get it, i like all of us meet some where on 985/365 ,then convoy from the meet point,though the town of toccoa to the site, there is something thats just awsom about a convoy .

this is the first time ive tried to put something together like this ,so i can use all the help that i can get, lets get a BIG turnout, if you can do the show pm me or phone me 678-450-5512 or m52@charter.net. i need a vechile count so thay know how many are comming

i know this is short notice but i know we can do this.

thanks, ill post more as i get the info as well as maps to get to 985/365

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: toccoa ga military collecters show

I'll go with you Ron, let me know if I can help :beer:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: toccoa ga military collecters show

just a reminder to start thinking postive about taking part in this event, sure would be nice to have a large turnout,

Geronimo

The Toccoa/Stephens County Ga Historical Society invites you to attend our third annual Camp Toccoa Reunion and Reenactment Events. Camp Toccoa, now made famous by Band of Brothers, was the birthplace of the 501st, 506th, 507th, 511th, and 517th Parachute Infantry Regiments as well as the 460th Arty Battalion, and 596th Combat Engineers (Airborne). We will have Veterans, or their families, from these regiments attending, along with Veterans of all wars, and conflicts as well as many other units and branches of the U.S. military.

This year we are expanding our focus for the reunion and reenactments to include all WWII units. There has been great response throughout the U.S. and Europe. We hope to have re-enactors from different wars take part along with several military vehicle associations. There will also be displays and aircraft from today’s military. The event will take place at the Toccoa Airport, October 12-15, 2006, with the highlight being the 5th Ranger Training Btln “Rangers In Action” program.

One of the Weekend events will be the dedication of the new Currahee Military Museum which is housed in the restored Toccoa train depot, the debarkation point for most of those men who trained here. Tour the stables used for quarters by first A, then E company of the 506th P.I.R amd also, members of the 17th Airborne Division brought "across the pond" from Aldbourne England. This $325,000+ ongoing project is being paid for with donations and proceeds from past reunions. During the Currahee Military Weekend we will dedicate the Currahee Military Museum to honor all of our Veterans.

Those interested may participate in the Currahee Challenge Road Race, the "three miles up and three miles down" we saw in Band of Brothers.

This year I am sending invitations to all High Schools, Military Academies and many military colleges urging them to send a class/corps of cadets to the Currahee Military Weekend. We have lost so many veterans in the last few years, this may be the last opportunity to meet and talk with living heroes.

Our invitation is extended to everyone: veterans, active duty personnel, military buffs, history buffs and each and every American who wishes to show their pride in all our Veterans. If you know of others who may be interested, please pass along our invitation to them.

Photos of 2004, and 2005 reunion and Information. CampToccoaReunion .com

Bucky Simmons
Vice President, Toccoa/Stephens County Historical Society, Event coordinator.
Toccoa, Georgia. United States.

Currahee Military Weekend

October 12-15, 2006

AGENDA

*More events will be added.

Friday, October 13

9 a.m. 511th Tribute

10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Museum Open

11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Barbecue - Elk’s Lodge

2-4 p.m. Book Signing at Old Stephens County Courthouse- Mark Bando, and more.

4 p.m. Parade and Museum Dedication

Saturday, October 14

9 a.m. Currahee Challenge – Currahee Mountain

10 a.m.-5 p.m. Museum Open

9 a.m.-5 p.m. Gate Opens -Military Show & Encampment– Airport --- $5 donation per person requested from un-registered guest-*** -

**This is the museums main source of funds for the next year, we are not funded, state, or otherwise, and a $5 donation is asked of everyone.

Authentic pre-D-Day briefing by US Army WWII History team re-enactors. 35+ vintage and current military vehicles. Children’s activities.

10:30 –Operation One Voice- 112+ Corvettes, 50+ Motorcycles - benefits the children of fallen special operations members. Airport

12 noon Opening Ceremony – Brig Gen James H. Schwitters, commanding General Fort Jackson SC guest speaker- Airport.

12:15 p.m. – 5:00 pm US Army Ranger Parachute Jump and Demonstrations/ 170th Military Police Btln/ Ga State Defense Force/ 121st Airborne National Guard/ military aircraft and weapons displays/ WWII Re-enactment /other groups and events - Airport

7 p.m. Banquet - Elk’s Lodge--BG Augustus Collins, Director of Mobilization, US Army Forces Command- Guest speaker. US Army Ground Forces Band- to perform. Only 225 tickets for this event.

Sunday, October 15

8:30 a.m. Remembrance Service at PIR Regimental Memorial- Currahee Mtn.

Depot - 160 N. Alexander Street, downtown Toccoa. It houses the Toccoa-Stephens County Chamber of Commerce, Welcome Center, Stephens County Historical Society and the Currahee Military Museum.

Elk’s Lodge - intersection of Edward’s Place & Remsdale

Currahee Mountain – Highway 123 (Dick’s Hill Parkway)

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
this is even better since bucky posted this, let me here from you all

poppop

Ron, I am thinking about going. If I do I will be coming in on 441. How does that fit in with where you want to meet? We will probably make a two day event and come in on Friday. I have the 813 sanded and with a little more work tommorrow will be painting it Tuesday. It won't have any markings, will that be OK?

Geronimo

ALL,

BELOW IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT THE REUNION MEAN TO A LOT OF PEOPLE:

Hope to be @ the reunion this year. My son, Cody, now 20, had a motorcycle acc. 2/16/06. suffered a traumatic brain injury. He can't see any yet, and he had such a great time @ last yrs. event. Also, I lost my friend, Mr. Dorsey Ussery, A Co. 506th PIR. He died in Feb. too.

Thanks for all the good memories.
Paul Jones
I HOPE YOU ALL WILL TURN OUT AND MAKE THIS THE LARGEST EVENT SO FAR, FOR THE VETS.

BUCKY

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
OCT.14, toccoa

im back to pushing this, (the xm977 stora got in the way for a bit)please read this thread again, it will be a fun time for all, so let me here from you, theres a lot of us here ,lets get a good group together, its a real good excuse to put our trucks out on road, , ill get back with the meet spot and time,thanks

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, who all is going? I know Ron and Poppop are, is BFR going?

I think I can swing the time to go, but I don't know if I will have time to adjust the deuce's valves............ going to try

Are we going to convoy?

Departure times, etc.

Geronimo

All vehicals are invited to take part in the " March to the Museum" Parade Friday at 4 p.m. and can set up display in front of museum all day.

Then main event Saturday starting at 8 a.m. Airport.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ok guys last call for some ga. trucks for the toccoa event sat, thanks, ron, my phone i 678-450-5512, cel 703-389-6705

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pics from the Toccoa meeet (video too!)

Well, simple enough. Here are some pics and video from today's shindig.

I got to meet Poppop and check out his freshly painted M813-the pictures he posted of it just don't do it justice. Really nice truck.

Got to watch a Huey and a Blackhawk do their thing. I love Huey's, I never get tired of listening to that distinctive whupwhupwhup sound.

Enjoy!

Video links:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=4&fid=file&pid=61

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=4&fid=file&pid=63

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=4&fid=file&pid=60

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=4&fid=file&pid=62

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He Ron, thought you were going sans bumper. Looked like there was a bumper on the M819!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i did go up with a pair of frame rails sticking out, loyde (poppop) broght me one up that he got in a junk yard for me, we all drug out tools and had a major install right at the show in fact i guess you could say that we were putting on our on show, as we had a bunch of people watching us

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, that type of display always attracts attention at shows. Remember seeing folks at the Jamborees installing lift kits and doing mods at their displays and attracting lots of attention. For the non MV crowd, running air tools in the field always gets the perplexing look. So are the winch extensions back on the front? Now its my turn to take a shot at your big truck with my little one. Are you aware that I can remove the winch on my truck with the boom? Wait until I do the cab swap. I'll have the camera out for that one. The crane will be lifting the cab off and on for sure.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i can do the same, i just have to pull the swing stops, also with all this big stuff i realize i need a little something as a go getter, so a 108 would work pulling a 2 1/2t trailer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks