• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which heat nozzle should I buy for my torch?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After going years without a torch and either working around it or borrowing one, I bought a mid-grade Victor torch set this week.

It came with most everything except a heating nozzle.

What would you guys recommend for the general automotive/army truck toy I have?

My choices are sizes 2, 4, 6 and 8, with the 4, 6 and 8 available as clamshells.

My setup takes the MFA-1 series: http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/Literature/lit_331_067_65-2007.pdf

Shoot, soon I'll be just like wreckerman, I'll never have to pick up a wrench again!

Thanks in advance.

C

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a welder and fab guy. You need a small one and a mid size and if you like toys go for a big one also.
But if you just need one I would get a mid size.
Good luck!![thumbzup]

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Id take a 2 and a 4 with the regular cutting nozzle setup. Grab a medium (#6) clamshell, the small one is just plain too small and the large is just plain too big, you can even sense the oxygen goin yippee, I'm outta here!!! You might want to get a #2 'washing' nozzle, the one with a bend in the end, they are great for washing metals flush with the surrounding base, takes some practise though.

That should take you through most of everything you would do. You can always go get the larger nozzles if you get into bigger work...

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what size my rosebud is (it came with the torch) but it's big enough for my needs. You'll find that you can just use the cutting head to heat stuff up most of the time on things such as stuck bolts and such. About the only time you really need the rosebud if if you're heating and bending steel or you're having to heat a fairly large area for some reason.

IMO, a torch is one of the most useful tools in the shop. I use mine almost daily to either heat something up or cut something. I'll even make an occasional weld with the torch if I need to make a quick weld on something thin and don't want to fool with setting up the mig.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The next thing you know, you'll be selling off your wrenches and socket sets to fund the bigger cutting tips because you won't need them anymore. Then, you'll be looking for land in Alabama.:roll:

zout

I was going to tell Clinto I would trade him my tips for that plazma cutter he has straight up - but someone must be already pm'ing him
rofl

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, on torches, in selecting tips, you always push a tip harder with more pressure/flow, but if you try to run a tip to low it will pop and crack to no end. So as said, a small and medium are great starts. Note that this applies to cutting tips, welding tips and rosebuds. And it does not matter what kind of mixer you use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks