• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 road trip Nashville to Miami

Captainal

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and just purchaced my first M37 in Tenn. I am feeling quite adventurous and plan to drive back to Miami via Memphis in appx 2 weeks. I would like to get some contact numbers of members along the way in case of trouble. I am not sure of my exact route south as of yet.

Thanks,
Allan

citizensoldier

Ooooohhh sore but!!

Thats one hell of a long trip is a M37! Florida is 9 hours long in a normal car.. My advice or two cents... Save the ware and tare on your vehicle, back, and ass and have it hauled by a trucker... Your going to spend almost as much on gas and who knows what will brake. Those old Flatheads cant take allot of R's for a long period of time... Oh well enough said and sorry if I offended you..

RE: Ooooohhh sore but!!

Capatainal,

Check out the thread about the guy who flew to WI to pick up his deuce. Lots of good advice about shipping a set of tools to the pickup location and making sure you have spare parts available-hoses, belts, electrical connectors. Allow yourself several days to take frequent breaks and repair and adjustment time.

I picked mine up and tried to drive it across the state and didn't make it. Left rear brake locked up on me and got REAL hot before I noticed (the truck stopped going forward). limped it to a friend's house and went back the next week. Be prepared with an alternative recovery plan if necessary.

Sorry I'm not anywhere near your route. Good luck-have fun.

colyork

RE: Ooooohhh sore but!!

I would have it hauled,better than have a break down in the middle of nowhere. and with the price of fuel it may well be a little cheaper.

Captainal

Road Trip Update

Ok so I got my Ticket and am flying to Nashville tomorrow to pick up the truck..I'll then be heading over to Memphis to a friends and double check everything out. From There I will be going to Tupelo Miss. to pick up the Natchez trace down to Natchez Miss. From Nathez I am going to cut across to Dothan Al, Valdosta Ga, Fernandina Beach Fl and then down the coast to Miami.....I'll have my Lap top with me and let ya know how it goes....... :D

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Road Trip Update

Looks like fun! I'll PM you my cell just in case you need anything say from Cocoa south.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

been thinking a bout the natchez trail. might make a good drive for sure.,

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

My son has driven his '53 M37 for thousands of miles over the years with very few problems that couldn't be handled "on the road".
If you make a trip like that, plan to have a lot of extra time on hand and bring tons of tools.
Having driven extensively on the interstate with my deuce, I can say that driving a 50-55mph is not really a problem. Would recommend LED type tail lights and extra reflector tape in the rear for visibility at night.

I may not be along a direct route to Miami, but if you come my way, I'll be available for help if needed.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I'd be reluctant to drive a M37 on I-40 from Nashville to Memphis (having made that trip 110 times in 2004) - however, there are decent secondary roads that parallel I-40. Most M37's are comfortable above the 45-50 range, and most truckers run I-40 at 7-80....too much weight speed differential for my peace of mind - heck, I wasn't comfortable with that making the trip in a M62 - which is a lot closer to a semi weight wise.

Sorry, on the road myself, so I'm no personal help to you if you have problems. Memphis Equipment is worth stopping at, as are many of our BBQ stands.

David Doyle

Captainal

I made it to Memphis last night :D :D :D I took 70/70a all the way across it added a couple of miles but was a real pretty trip. We stopped along the way in Atwood at an antique tractor show and ran in to one of the members on this fourm. Andy thanks for the info. The truck ran great it Started right up in the 34 degree morning is getting appx 13 mpg and never missed a beat on the trip. I made it to Memphis just in time to get to Memphis Equiptment to pick up a new rear wheel outer seal as mine is leaking a bit of oil. I'm going to be spending the day here in Memphis and them it's off to Tupelo tomorrow. Thank you every one for your info. in case I break down ....Hopefully I wont have to use it...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You had better be taking pictures of this trip!!!

Good luck, glad to hear it's been uneventful so far.

Captainal

Back in Miami

I made it.... :D :D :D 1600 miles total one rear wheel seal replaced in Memphis, electic fuel pump changed in Montgomery Alabama and a couple of gaskets/seals ( oil pan,oil pump) that will need to be replaced other than that an awesome road trip. Here are a few pics from the trip.... http://new.photos.yahoo.com/oceanexplorer0001

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Back in Miami

Great looking M37 and nice pics of the trip. Did you have your girl with you on this trip? Be interesting to hear her take on all this.

citizensoldier

Congrats!

Nice looking truck!!! Glad to hear you made it safe. That is one straight and nicely done M37... Your first post made it sound like you were buying a beater truck? Hell that sucker would make it to Cali.. :D
P.S. Your girl aint half bad either.... :wink:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Congrats!

Wow, that's a great looking truck, glad to hear your journey was mostly problem free.. :beer:

Now, drive up to Georgia and go with us to our next trail ride/campout/cookout!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks