• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C47s still in service!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know that much about planes but enjoyed watching this interesting vid about C47s (DC-3s?), still in service, carrying supplies and people to remote, isolated villages in the Columbian jungle.
It always amazes me seeing old MVs (or planes in this case) still on active (civilian) duty... and the people operating and maintaining these!

This one is called "Risking It All...", find out why...:)

The daredevil pilots of Colombia - Risking it all - Al Jazeera English

G.

It's good to see those old girls still working. The only work I've seen them do (in person that is) is show up at airshows. But hey, they're still flying!!![thumbzup] I also have to tell ya, after riding in a DC-3 (civilian equivalent) I have to say, It's an awesome aircraft and a reliable airframe!!!

Attachments

jamesfrom180

Don't know if they are still working but on the line in San Juan PR there are a few. Every time I fly into that place I look for them. Really cool plane. Oh and I don't clap and cheer when we land.

steelypip

The last time I saw a Goon (a C-53 in this case) earning its keep hauling stuff in CONUS was about 1995. A guy running a small airfreight firm had one in his fleet along with the mid-size turboprops and had several UPS airfreight contracts. He used the goon for the RDU-ILM run when there was more volume than a turboprop could haul. He'd painted it up in a gloss camo paint job and it looked great. I know he displayed it on the ramp at the RDU air show a couple of years.

It was obviously an excuse to have his toy airplane be a commercial asset and therefore a write-off, but it wasn't just a toy. My home at the time was to the southeast of RDU and I was awakened many mornings at 0-dark-30 by the distinctive drone of twin radials at FL 20, particularly during peaks in shipping volume like the Christmas rush, Mothers Day rush, and the graduation/memorial day rush.

It'd be nice to hear that somebody was still operating these neat old beasts - they're not pressurized (no cycle fatigue) and parts are plentiful, so it's not like they couldn't still be earning their keep here, too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The is a C47 that flys in and about PBI. I got some pics earlier this year. Several of them in SE FL. I thought it was a DC3 but it had the double door in the side. The pics do show the tail number. Once I get my laptop back I will post them.

TIGERFANS2

Don't know if they are still working but on the line in San Juan PR there are a few. Every time I fly into that place I look for them. Really cool plane. Oh and I don't clap and cheer when we land.
Used to be some C46's too, but it's been a few lustrums since I've been to to P.R.

Capt.Marion

Thanks for sharing that video--it was pretty cool. My dad spent a lot of time on those (including several Delta Airlines flights), and he really enjoyed it as well.

quickfarms

There are still many flying commercially around the world.

They have a nitch market that involves short hops into remote areas that destroy more modern aircraft.

Last i heard there were two flying cargo from long beach to catalina reguraly

I the early 90's I flew on one that was built in 1936 but had been overhauled and upgraded many times so it had all of the features of a modern aircraft for both the passengers and the elctronics for the crew.

You order one that will be rebuilt to zero hour certification.

If you want they will add turbo props and legnthen the fusalage about 12 feet to keep the ballance of the aircraft.

vtdeucedriver

The is a C47 that flys in and about PBI. I got some pics earlier this year. Several of them in SE FL. I thought it was a DC3 but it had the double door in the side. The pics do show the tail number. Once I get my laptop back I will post them.

Kenny. That's missionary flights Inc. They have 4 of them. Two are bassler
Turbo 3's. They do cargo runs to hati. My dad is right seat qualified and makes some trips now and again

Also a FYI. The us govt just landed a turbo 3 in afganastan. :)

Awesome Possum

Can't remember the name of the show, but believe it's on Nat Geo about an outfit that flies in Canada to remote outposts in the north. They have some C-47s, I think, but they do fly the C-46s. Great show.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks