• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Forming a Rally?

This is intended to be a conversation about forming a Rally.

A few questions:
- What constitutes an "SS Rally"?
- Does it need an administrators blessing?
- Should each event have its own name?

These questions came up after a recent event. Some members would like to have a similar event at the same venue. The existing event has been organized by one group for several years, and it has been a success. Is it proper to take over an event or should it involve the original event organizers?

This thread is not intended to attack or upset anyone, but rather to make our site and events better.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Too many chefs

I don't know that any rally needs to be branded as an SS Rally.
I think the state/region etc., sorta defines the rally and it is just attended by SS members....and lots of other folks.

For instance, Georgia Rally, Haspin, LA., etc., the SS part just mainly comes from postings on here.

I would think if anyone wanted to "take over" a rally they would consult with whoever organized the event to be sure no toes were stepped on and more importantly, to gain whatever experience the organizer had.

Too many rallys in a particular region will detract from each other IMO.

Actually...is there an official Steelsoldiers Rally? Anywhere?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with PB. It would be like someone trying to setup another rally in GA for the 08-11 of September 2011. If nothing else, i'd say just in bad taste.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We have kicked the idea of an officially sactioned Steel Soldiers Rally (blessed by the owners of the site) before.

The main questions are location and date. A national rally would have to be sort of in the middle of the country so that the max amount of people could attend.

As for date you have to work around climate (too hot/cold), holidays, other events (NASCAR, sports) and school schedules.

It would be an exercise in logistics and there would prob have to be an admission charge to cover expenses. Finding someone to take charge might be a challenge.

The high cost of fuel is also a concern for a lot of folks.....I spent over 200 dollars on gas to attend the Haspin rally and I'm sure other folks spent that or more.

That being said "if you hold it they will come" is prob true.

I would attend if it were within 500-800 miles (maybe not in an MV).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone can hold a rally. Anyone can use Steel Soldiers to help promote it. If you want to use the Steel Soldiers name,you will need Chris' blessing. When the idea of the first official rally came up, Chris was heavily involved. When Mike started the FL rally, he seeked Chris' blessings before.using the name. Clint did the same. Just a matter of what you want to do but if you want to use the site name, better call Chris.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i too had many pms back and forth with chris and mike well before i brought up the idea of a SS LA Rally. i also showed them the Tshirt design and waited till aproval was given before i did the first post on SS. its their house and i knocked before entering.. its the way of the south and the way i was brought up. [thumbzup]

zout

Not titled as an SS rally
#1 - bbq the largest fricking pig you can

#2 - invite everyone you know

#3 - find a way to help someone other than yourself through these actions

#4 - charge absolutely nothing - then it is truely a rally

#5 - have some very good cherries on hand to pass around and some clear wash to chuck em down with.

#6 - Meet everyone you can and listen to their "story"

#7 - It does not have to very large at all - small is awesome and just make sure it does not get out of control because they may not like how you deal with out of control.

#8 - Have anyone possible to bring a dish to pass - and MAKE SURE you taste each one because they will be looking even if you do not think they are.

#9 - keep all cookies under cover and if you wish to follow the culprit - follow the cookie crumb trail to their vehicle.

#10 - last but not least - play tunes to THEIR taste - not yours - because it is THEIR rally - not yours.

#11 - Come to the GA Rally 2011 and you will see this all done to perfection to where you will think the rapture has really occured and you have gone to MV heaven.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I do believe that one large scale event located in the central US would be an awesome sight to see. However, the logistics of it all would suck. What might be a cool idea would be several events on the same weekend in different parts of the country. Let's say divide the US into 6 sections and centrally locate in those sections. If not central then the closest park or SS members place that has enough space for everyone. Just a thouhgt.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This is intended to be a conversation about forming a Rally.

A few questions:
- What constitutes an "SS Rally"?
- Does it need an administrators blessing?
- Should each event have its own name?

These questions came up after a recent event. Some members would like to have a similar event at the same venue. The existing event has been organized by one group for several years, and it has been a success. Is it proper to take over an event or should it involve the original event organizers?

This thread is not intended to attack or upset anyone, but rather to make our site and events better.
If you are talking about a event 6 months down the road at the same place as a resent one, don't see why not if it is a good place for a rally. like spring rally and fall rally, doubt anyone wants to do all the work that is needed to get two rallys going in a year, I'm sure both rallys would work together, I think you would have some members at both rallys and other members that could go to one or the other for many reasons

deuceaid

Banned
I have to say, I would love to see the HUGE convoys heading to the central part of the US!:jumpin:

If I say the word "Sturgis" most people will think bikes,(no rice rockets) etc, and a formerly quite dakota town.

if this was an SS event, what would we do,,,, would it be mostly for MV owners, or for the rest of the public? Could the parts dealers fund part of the event? Would it be at a county fairgrounds, could we race our toyota prius thru the mud pit?

Regional SS rallys might have more attendants in total, but its also x number of times more planning.

A big national who ha event might be like trying to train baby Godzilla not to burn down our homes, but still put on a BBQ and fireworks show........it may not work the first few times....

I think I can speak for most everyone on SS about this,,,,,,,, I would want a Good Showing and Support, for ALL the Veterans, and current inlisted etc, and Vet Charities, Groups,,,,, After all They ARE the REASON we have this hobby, or will, or can!

another route might be a regional event every year, and then a Main event every 5 years...

I would only ask that everyone bring tools, tow bars, and food!

Westech

CPL
The members who created the haspin rally were never asked to be involved with this. Do not get this get together mixed up with the real haspin rally. The owners or haspin have been informed of this get together and if anyone acts like a knob head there will be action taken. I have no problem with any members having a get together any place any time. But i em think it is bad taste call it fall haspin. Its kinda like stealing all the hard work stretch, my self, Chris, and many others have we have been doing for over six years. We make sure the owners are happy and we do a lot to make sure that we are able to come back every year. If you use the ss name you better not mess it up for the rest of us.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way out here in west Texas MV's and MVer's are few and far between. Hence the birth of the ad hoc group nicknamed "The West Texas Detachment" - - - We are QUITE DETACHED from the rest of y'all.

To use an old quote--> "When two or more are gathered there is..." A RALLY ! ! !

Around here, I have NEVER passed another Hobby MV by chance. We did have 3 mv's at one parade, but that was planned. If I EVER run into another, and we so much as honk horns and wave to each other, well then we had us a RALLY, boys!

Anywaze... just had to get that "jealousy" outta my head.

Carry on.

3dAngus

Well, while we're on the subject of Rallies, I was thinking about investigating a spring rally in Georgia after checking in with people and management at the Georgia National Agricultrure Center here in Perry. This after consulting with Clinto to see his feelings on it, and not wanting to step on his toes either for the fall Rally he has worked so hard on.

Only, not to associate with SS specifically in any way, but the grounds with over 500 acres and some fields and shallow holding ponds in the back acreage would probably make for some great running grounds. Again, this has not been run by anyone yet, and I need another month or two of research and consulting with individuals mentioned above.

I would call it the "Southeastern MV Rally" and invite people in from all the SE states and any others who would care to come. First is always the hardest. The Ag center here likes to have their own concessionaires serve food and I need to make sure we can have our own people do the MKT thing for us, and make sure we would be welcome in the various campgrounds, with a main gang on the outskirts where hopefully they will allow us to have a central campfire. April is usually best in Middle Ga with warm days and cool nights. There are 5000 motel rooms in the area with RV hookups full electrical and sewage, central bathrooms, but I would need to check on showers in the back area, and most of the stuff we need, but it may be scattered about. Much more work to do on researching possibilities.
The Ag center usually charges for RV spots of course, but I don't know how they would work it with campers in trailers and tents and deuces out back. The site is also known as the Georgia National Fairgrounds. Maps and details in the link provided below. The new Georgia Fisharama is right next door.

Just getting thoughts down now. Comments solicited.

Georgia National Fairgrounds | Perry, GA

zout

From wanting to hold an identical event in the same logistical place and call it nearly the same neither suits me well either.

If someone is holding an event that I choose to attend I will volunteer to help that group reach its concept of what they wish to represent and produce from the event. Besides just doing something constructive that you see that needs to be done - get their blessing to manage it and ger er done so their event goes off well.

Just better to pool resources in my mind.

I would never insult anyone (and it was not inteded that is what was done by mentioning this so let me be clear) to hold an event in the same place and with the same type of aura (Military Trucks).

I would imagine by searching you may find another location and come up with a different title.

Chief_919

Well, while we're on the subject of Rallies, I was thinking about investigating a spring rally in Georgia after checking in with people and management at the Georgia National Agricultrure Center here in Perry. This after consulting with Clinto to see his feelings on it, and not wanting to step on his toes either for the fall Rally he has worked so hard on.

Only, not to associate with SS specifically in any way, but the grounds with over 500 acres and some fields and shallow holding ponds in the back acreage would probably make for some great running grounds. Again, this has not been run by anyone yet, and I need another month or two of research and consulting with individuals mentioned above.

I would call it the "Southeastern MV Rally" and invite people in from all the SE states and any others who would care to come. First is always the hardest. The Ag center here likes to have their own concessionaires serve food and I need to make sure we can have our own people do the MKT thing for us, and make sure we would be welcome in the various campgrounds, with a main gang on the outskirts where hopefully they will allow us to have a central campfire. April is usually best in Middle Ga with warm days and cool nights. There are 5000 motel rooms in the area with RV hookups full electrical and sewage, central bathrooms, but I would need to check on showers in the back area, and most of the stuff we need, but it may be scattered about. Much more work to do on researching possibilities.
The Ag center usually charges for RV spots of course, but I don't know how they would work it with campers in trailers and tents and deuces out back. The site is also known as the Georgia National Fairgrounds. Maps and details in the link provided below. The new Georgia Fisharama is right next door.

Just getting thoughts down now. Comments solicited.

Georgia National Fairgrounds | Perry, GA
It has potential.

That is a huge facility, with really easy access.

I would look at seeing if it could be made into a combination Rally and MV Show- get the GA MVPA involved as well.

It was discussed before that there needs to be a southern Aberdeen- that could be it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aberdeen isnt a "rally".. It'a bunch of vendors coming together with MV parts, and a big MV display. A rally has offroad events.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks