• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Truck Conversion!

91W350

I ran across this old GMC today.... I would love to know the history. Is this a bobbed CCKW of sorts? I never saw one before. Looking for some insight! Thanks in advance! Glen

Attachments

waayfast

That appears to be a G-506 , fire truck variant. Chevy 1 1/2 ton. Some time late 1942 or later cuz I don't (can't ?) see the Chevrolet stamped on the engine side panels. Nice truck! You NEED that Glen!!!:smile:

Jim

Jeff Lakaszcyck

That is a very interesting G506 Chevrolet, and it appears to be in very good condition. It is not an original WW2 fire truck, but the Zeligson badge with serial number is very interesting. Zeligson was started in 1946 as a seller and rebuilder of surplus army trucks. In the '60's and '70's they built their own line of all wheel drive trucks. Zeligson probably re-built the Chevy as a fire truck in the '50's and re-powered it with the GMC six. That is a nice piece, someone needs to save it. The attached Zeligson ad is from 1956.

Attachments

91W350

I found a manual in the glove box which I take to be for the pump. I suspect they wrote off for it as it shows a 1960 ish International grill and headlight arrangement.

I think the truck conversion was done in 1949, found a date there as well.

The engine's manifold in a photo above has a 1960 date cast into it.

I am working on the owner, trying to get him to cough up a price for the old beast. If it is too high for my budget, maybe I can make a listing here on SS and let you guys have a crack at it. I agree, it should not spend many more days outside....the sooner the better. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks