• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Field Stoves

CGarbee

You can't tell if they are complete unless you open them up and look. the M1959 basic unit is just a big box (what you can see) that opens up on the front to reveal a nested 20 and 15 gallon stock pots (with lids). Top flips up to reveal a square pan about five inches deep used for deep frying, etc. that also has a rack in it for holding Mermite inserts for warming/serving. Loaded into the deep square pan will be a griddle, stacked on top of the griddle should be a collection of knives, spoons, ladles, potatoe pealers, measuring cups/spoons, cutting board, and other utensils. Unit has a gas (regular or unleaded) burner that slides into the very bottom. I have not seen one up for sale at GL in the last couple of years that had the burner in it... The M2 burner can be converted to run on propane (guy at Seabee Cook dot com has a writeup on this), or you can rig up a high pressure burner assembly to slide into the rack in place of the gas burner (much safer and easier on the wallet). I have two of them... They were used not only in the mobile kitchen trailers but as stand alone units. Each one has the utensils and tools needed to cook food for 150 troops (not included the troop's individual mess gear, sanitation gear, etc. that was also shipped with the kitchen trailer or otherwise supplied when setting up a mess unit...

Unless it is wrapped up in a big plastic wrapper with a not saying that it is "new", assume that it is missing a few items...

They are great if you cook for a group even though they are heavy...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Make sure the burner unit is in there. It should be in the very bottom.
The units I am most familiar with ran on gasoline. They are pretty good. :)
You could fry, grill, bake, boil and heat a large tent with them.
You had to pressurize the burner unit to atomize the fuel. This was accomplished by a bicycle pump that was included with the unit.
I would not bid unless I checked the unit out in person.
Also, as stated above, this item came with a bunch of pots, pans, utensils and a griddle. There was also a box that had a set of knives, a whetstone and other Basic Issue Items.
If you want to (literally) cook for an army, this is the ticket.
They can be hinky to light since you are dealing with atomized gasoline. I have lost arm and face hair when lighting one. :shock:

CGarbee

I don't see any burner units in the photos (not that you can see the bottom that well considering the angles and lighting...). Every GL sale of these that I have looked at in the last year did not include the burner units. I think somebody got concerned that we would all blow ourselves up... (as you say Wreckerman893, they are pretty hinky to light...). It is real easy to fix up a nice propane burner assembly for them though. I'll get off my rear and photograph/draw up some plans for the arrangement that I am using in lieu of the gas burner next time I pull them out for use...
As you say, you really have to do an inspection on them as the surplus sale units are all over the map when it comes to what they have included in the package, and you can't do inventory from a photo posted on the internet that only shows the outside of the unit...

devilman96

Geesh... I had no idea those had so much too them... I have looked at them on auction in the past with some interest but after hearing everything about them I will most certainly try to buy one close to me the next time they come up!!!

NEIOWA

The point needs to be more strongly made that the burners for the stove are DANGEROUS, HAZARDOUS, CAUTION, WATCH OUT, CAREFUL ETC ETC ETC.

When on active duty we regularily used these in the field. With and without the MKTs or oven units (there is also a set with a frame/gumbo kettle that sets on top of the burner). Serious burn injury to soldier/cooks was quite frequent. They burn gasoline/mogas. The burn must be filled and lit outside. Not in a building, tent, or vehicle. The the burner carried to the stove and slid in. The burner is quite heavy (around 50lb as I recall). And is now BURNING/FLAMES out the top you have to have two men or a very very very foolhard/brave individual (you face is right at the flames). SOP was TWO MAN CARRY. DOD learned these lessons at great expense.

If DOD is selling these I'm surprised. A heck of a lot more hazardous than much of the demil stuff they get their panties in a knot over (see M151 etc). Typically not danger of death I supposed but frequent burns, including serious burns.

They do make lots of heat/work well but are a considerable danger. Have not heard of a propane conversion. That would be a very good idea.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M2 burner unit is a WONDERFUL way to blow yourself up, burn, and get killed. There is a reason Uncle Sam went with the MBU as a replacement.

CGarbee

I have seen repair parts for the M2 burner assemblies up for action from GL in the last couple of years, but no M2 burners... The MBU is a wonderful unit, (diesel, fire it up while in the stove, etc...) but I have only seen a few come up for sale on Ebay and they have been very high priced (not surprising since they are "new").
Propane conversion of a M2 burner is not hard and reduces the health hazard to that of any propane burner, fixing up a high pressure ring is easier (especially if you don't have a good condition M2 to convert) and gives the same level of safety as a turkey frier or gas griddle...

I love my M1959 field ranges. I really want to acquire and outfit a kitchen trailer (see the thread about stuff at Coleman's), I really hate the M2 burners and don't use them (went propane...).

ida34

Paul,
Did you bid on them? I saw one at General Jims when we were up there. I looked at the photos and I think they are missing the burner assemblies. I did not work directly with them but worked closely with the mess section (remember the water buffalo story) and I remember them lighting the burners then putting them in the stoves. If I remember right they went in the empty slot in the bottom on the photos for the auction.

Chuck

Armada

No, didn't bid. Was going to though. I have a 30,000 btu propane burner that would fit in place of the gas burner. Thought about getting one as part of our deer camp gear, but what would I do with all the others? And I didn't get a chance to call and find out if any other stuff, utensils, etc., were included.

citizensoldier

Thought it was you

Hey Paul. I watched them and thought it was you bidding. They went for cheep but like you said who knew what else was with them. I would have bought one off of you for my own deer camp set up. I have seen the burner units for sale at a good price. Not affraid of loosing a little facial hair... :shock:

Armada

RE: Thought it was you

Lane ,that link you sent for the burner looked like a fair price indeed. I'll watch if they come up again. My problem is not having room for storage. My 105 trailer is already filling with overflow from the garage. Next will be the back of the duece..... :)

Mach

How do I find a field range

I'm looking for one of these field ranges. How do you find them and bid on them. I haven't done the army surplus bidding thing before. Any help with sites to go to would be appreciated.

Also for those wanting to convert to propane, I have done it before with a King Kooker ring burner on a special slide that I made. It made for a slick conversion for our CSB father son group.

jatonka

Thanks for reviving an old thread, nice to remember some of the people who aren't here anymore. The field ranges are around, without burners, pretty cheap nowadays, I have one extra I could sell but I'm in Upstate New York, pretty far from you.
I am looking for some MBU burners, I got one and made a cable up for it last weekend and it works perfect. I also need one jack for the MKT to raise the roof, I only have one and it takes 2.

You'll find a range, keep asking. JT

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mach,
On GL they usually show up in the FSC 7320, 7330, and 7360, and are described as either (or both) M-59, Field Range Outfit.

John,
Are you going to be at Aberdeen this year? If so I can check with Cabell to see if he can haul a roof jack up there that I got from the secret source. Shipping is a beyouch - ask Gilles (WPNS421) when I sent him one. I need some canvas to go around the shifter on my deuces.

HAWKMAN

I too could use one roof jack for my MKT as I was only able to get one from Ziggy @ Aberdeen last year.I'll be in yellow section K-7......TX's:-D

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking for one of these field ranges. How do you find them and bid on them. I haven't done the army surplus bidding thing before. Any help with sites to go to would be appreciated.

Also for those wanting to convert to propane, I have done it before with a King Kooker ring burner on a special slide that I made. It made for a slick conversion for our CSB father son group.
I have a half dozen of them in OKC. Ranges with MBU burners. They had pots but someone stole them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks