• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would you buy it?

45FMJoe

I'm looking at a 1943 Willys MB that's local to me. The body is actually pretty solid from the couple pictures I was sent by the seller. He said the hood isn't in the best shape but there aren't any holes in the body. He said he's pretty sure the frame is the same. It has aftermarket wheels and tires, and I do not believe he has the original combat rims. The engine appears to be a Hurricane and not a Go Devil. He's asking $2500 OBO, but I'm thinking $1500 to 2k wouldn't be hard.

My daily driver is an '07 Wrangler, I'm a big Jeep junkie. Ever since I was a little kid I've been a WWII history buff. My holy grail of pistols is an original M1911A1, and I have a 100% original 1945 Remington Rand in 97% or so. My holy grail of vehicles is a WWII Willys MB.

What would you do? I'm thinking that finding a Go Devil to rebuild is much easier than finding a body and frame that isn't rotten. Of course, I don't know what else in the drivetrain might have been changed either.

B3.3T

Considering what restored MBs go for these days, sounds like a good example at a decent price.

Jimma

Better consult someone who is a jeep authority to make sure you are getting the real thing for a decent price. "Zout" has become pretty knowledgeable about jeeps.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its not even from the 40's. It looks like a civi cj5 tub with some flat fenders put on. Do you have a picture of the front. I am fairly familiar with WWII jeeps. I have a 42 GPW and have owned maybe 10 WWII jeeps. In fact I have had one of every military jeep from a GPA to M151A2 mutt.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you buy a copy of the All American Wonder volumes I, II and III and educate yourself a little about WWII jeeps. jimma if its US and avialable I have probably had one.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
its not even from the 40's. It looks like a civi cj5 tub with some flat fenders put on. Do you have a picture of the front. I am fairly familiar with WWII jeeps. I have a 42 GPW and have owned maybe 10 WWII jeeps. In fact I have had one of every military jeep from a GPA to M151A2 mutt.
I'm thinking CJ3B maybe?? Definately NOT MB or GPW.

I say CJ3B cause of the tub, flat fenders, round speedo (civi), and F-head engine.

If it has the "high hood" might have been a Navy Shore Patrol jeep after WWII??

Then again...I've been wrong before...frequently:oops::oops:

To answer your question directly...yes...I would buy it for $300.00...for parts...if it were very, very close to me...and I had $300.00 I could find no other use for.

Last edited:

paulfarber

For $2500 there better be a good frame, the driveline better be correct and the tub should be all there (seats, gas tank etc) maybe not in pristine condition, but there (even if rusted).

If you pay more than $5000-7000 for at least whats called a 'motorpool' jeep then you are getting ripped. The cost to restore a rust bucket is not much more.

The only thing that wold budge my price range would be 'numbers matching' (although for a motorpool jeep I don't care... motors are replaced, not repaired) or if it had a radio installed or a MG mount (the proper one) that would add about $1k.

There really are no 'unobtainable' parts for a production 42-45 jeep.... either repop or take off.

AAW is kinda overrated... Vol I has mostly been 'overruled' on much of the restoration advice it offers. Some of the pics are good, and the history part is OK, but the nuts and bolts restoration info is out of date. Its nice to have, but nothing you cannot live without (or find on the net for free).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks