• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 GT Replica or Tribute?

WarrenD

I'm in the process of locating a M37 which I will be making into a GT. In my research to date, I'm finding that originals of the configuration that I want to build are for the most part being done or "on reserve". I'm still digging and thanks to Driver 523, James Lyles and others I may find an original truck to replicate.
My question is, how do the folks here feel about tribute GTs? I don't want to start a flame war, heated discussion or create any problems, I'm simply looking for some honest feedback on how a tribute M37 GT would be received. The only difference from a replica would be the name and graphics on the side of the box. I don't want to copy someone elses work and it seems that there were very few M37 GTs used in Vietnam according to folks who have put much more time into research than I.
So, what say you?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been slowly working on my GT replica of Raider's Light Work, it should be done by this fall if everything goes according to plan.

My opinion - do a tribute truck, there are very few actual M37 GTs, and there are only a few to copy. If, however, you do your own design, the sky is the limit as to what mods you can do, the paint and setup you can make add to it. In my experience making RLW so far, trying to copy a GT that has very few pics made of it is very hard - you want to get everything perfect. But if you have a tribute truck, no exact pics are required, YOU are the source of what it should look like.

Good luck!

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I would think about is the trucks location. Most GT's seem to be on the east coast. If you were a good distance from whoever created the same named truck, would it really matter as the trucks would probably never be in the same vicinity? Also, in my opinion, the trucks aren't built for whoever re-creates them, but are built in honor of the origional crews. If there were two trucks with the same name, it would seem to me that there would be twice the teaching, remembrance, honoring Etc. of the origionals and their crews.

WarrenD

I have been slowly working on my GT replica of Raider's Light Work, it should be done by this fall if everything goes according to plan.

My opinion - do a tribute truck, there are very few actual M37 GTs, and there are only a few to copy. If, however, you do your own design, the sky is the limit as to what mods you can do, the paint and setup you can make add to it. In my experience making RLW so far, trying to copy a GT that has very few pics made of it is very hard - you want to get everything perfect. But if you have a tribute truck, no exact pics are required, YOU are the source of what it should look like.

Good luck!
Mike, that is the exact issue I'm having. I want to do a short box truck, 2 M-60s and no front cab armor. Side window armor only, to be removed for road driving. There are only a few out there that fit that bill and as they seem the easiest to build, they are the ones that got scooped up. The main purpose will be to get it out there to be seen, car/MV shows, parades etc so I have to be able to see to drive it safely. Add to that the way they drive around here and I'll probably need more mirrors than a school bus....:confused:

WarrenD

One thing I would think about is the trucks location. Most GT's seem to be on the east coast. If you were a good distance from whoever created the same named truck, would it really matter as the trucks would probably never be in the same vicinity? Also, in my opinion, the trucks aren't built for whoever re-creates them, but are built in honor of the origional crews. If there were two trucks with the same name, it would seem to me that there would be twice the teaching, remembrance, honoring Etc. of the origionals and their crews.

I'm east coast so the odds of me running into another of the same name are a little higher. Thanks for your thoughts.

WarrenD

I say make your tribute truck, keep original equipment on it. It is your truck name it something special to you.
Thanks, I have an absolute KILLER name and graphics picked out in my head, very likely it would have been the name of my truck had I been there and had a truck of my own.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Daughter of Darkness

To my knowledge, Daughter of Darkness has not been built. (I was going to, but it hasn't happened and won't)

Whatever you do in good taste will be readly accepted I think.:beer:

I think most of us old Guntruckers would prefer a replica of an real truck. However it can very hard to get info on some of the trucks. These trucks changed constantly while in service so pictures from say 1969 might be different from 1970.I say build what you want whether replica or tribute. Just do some research and make the equipment period correct and go for it. Main thing is build a truck!

WarrenD

To my knowledge, Daughter of Darkness has not been built. (I was going to, but it hasn't happened and won't)

Whatever you do in good taste will be readly accepted I think.:beer:
It will be in good taste, politically correct and all that. Family-friendly bring the kids.....
Then again, I was raised on Warner Bros cartoons which had more acts of violence per minute than anything else on TV!:)

WarrenD

I think most of us old Guntruckers would prefer a replica of an real truck. However it can very hard to get info on some of the trucks. These trucks changed constantly while in service so pictures from say 1969 might be different from 1970.I say build what you want whether replica or tribute. Just do some research and make the equipment period correct and go for it. Main thing is build a truck!
As said above, the biggest issue right now is that there weren't many M37 GTs built and the few that were are fast being either built or "reserved." The style of GT I want to build further limits the choices and being relatively easy to build makes that style more likely to be built. Sadly, it seems that the "reserved" ones often don't get built, which effectively puts others in a bind.

Like WW2 aircraft, I believe that once a name has been done, others should respect that (ie, there should only be one replica for each named truck).

Either way I go, it will be as period correct as I can make it. If a tribute truck, it will only be a different name that wasn't used, in all other respects it will be the same as one of the real deals.

I'm still looking into a replica, have a couple of folks asking if projects ever got started (or ever will). Once that is exhausted, a tribute truck may be the only option, hence the question. I do NOT want to offend any of the Vets and if a tribute truck were offensive, I can assure you I have other things to do with the money this is going to take to build.

Srjeeper

The way I see it.......

Any and ALL tribute vehicles are better than none. You keep things as accurate as humanly possible and do what your wallet will allow.

The men that manned these vehicles are the only individuals that can tell if it was or was not like you portray it. So the majority of those that see your vehicle will appreciate it for what it is and learn from it.

I'm sure whatever you do Warren will be done to the highest level of accuracy and a true tribute no matter what it's called. [thumbzup]

historyfanatics

I look forward to seeing what you do. As long as it's correct to the time, I don't see any problems with doing a tribute truck.

When I first started out with The Widow Maker, I was planning on doing a tribute truck - combining several for their features. I lucked out in that several original crewmembers sent detailed photos showing what the truck looked like from different angles. And, I got the story of how she got her name.

I'd like to see an Air Force M37 Gun Truck. 2cents Yep, they had 'em. I just found some photos taken in country at Tan Son Nhut (sp?) Air Base. But, it's your truck.

I'm already thinking of my next foray into the gun truck realm - an armored gun jeep! Of course, I have a few projects ahead of it, but ... :D

B3.3T

My suggestion in regards to building any GT is to keep in mind these modifications were done in country using whatever materials they could scrounge, then attached and fashioned as best they could. In other words, don't make it machine shop perfect. Bolts don't have to match, edges don't have to be perfectly straight, things can be warped. Gun mounts were reinforced using angle iron of al sizes. You get the idea, I'm sure. Exhibiting the creativity used by these troops is a further tribute in their honor. My .02

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks