• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arkansas vs military vehicles

ARYankee

I had no issues with getting my deuce done up. It has antique tags. Not too sure about a 5 ton though. The only advice I can give you is call your local revenue office and speak to the supervisor and explain what you have and what options are there. I will give you an email address for someone that I dealt with at the main office in Little Rock. I spoke with her first, then called my local office and spoke with the supervisor there, that way they had a heads up of what I was doing. I know there are some issues with local offices not having a clue and making misinformed decisions. That was why I contacted the main office in Little Rock. I actually corresponded with 2 people from there and here are their email addresses : Pam.Moore@dfa.arkansas.gov (501) 682-1434

Juanita.Butler@dfa.arkansas.gov

If you need any thing else let me know. Also keep us posted on what you find out.

Welder Sam

Antique! Awesome! Ive actually spoken with mrs pam and a mrs anita from another dept. They made no mention of antique tags but i didn kno to ask either. I have yet to make my purchase and officially join the brotherhood. However, i am doing all of the recon i can to have an effective strategy in place. Hopefully January will be the month in which i get my deuces home.
Im just curious, more less, abt a 5t. Ill hollar when they start coming in. Ive got big plans... hope they all work!
THANKS!

ARYankee

Cool!!! I know one of them were the ones to tell me about antique tags. Now you will be limited to carrying less than 1000 lbs. I also have State Farm for insurance. It is a personal commercial policy due to the size of the vehicle. It costs me $180 per 6 months. It gives me the ability to drive it whenever.

When it is time I would recommend possibly going to the main office in Little Rock. I know I still had some issues with the local office but luckily I did my homework and they called the main and got it straight. I know a few others were unable to go antique and their local office gave them regular tags. That is why I recommend doing what I did. If the Arkansas branch of the MVPA wasn't so worthless this wouldn't be such a headache for us. I'm thinking of coming up with a guide for newbies from Arkansas dealing with registration and what not plus I would also like to work with the revenue folks on regulations. Just need a little time :)

Welder Sam

1k lbs? Haha i really dont plan to haul but i do plan to crewcab it, and single out the front and 1 rear axle.. i may even drop a 109 box on it and leave it 6x6 if i can get ahold of an m36.. who'd really kno if i did tho..
Benton aint far frm carlisle..
Im already getting the "what are u gonna do with it?" and "can i drive it?"
I asked the local lady, the only person in this office, abt tagging it and she got the most confounded look on her face. Thats y i took up emailing hq and ill follow ur advice by going there.

ARYankee

Exactly!!! Welcome to the Addiction!!! I got the same reaction from my local office and I get those questions all the time :) If you are out and about today I'll be at a car show with one of the deuces at the Home depot in Benton. The show is from 11 to 3pm. If not you'll have to come by some time and check out the trucks.

jasonjc

The crew cab and bob could get you in troble with the antique tag. It is for a stock vehicle. The only mod aloud are for safty ie set belts, better lights. Now if anyone would know or not. All it takes is one money grubing politician with $$ in his eye to think he is lossing money and we are all screwed. Truck tag would be $500-$1000 a year vs's the $7 for life.

Welder Sam

Good pt. I think mrs pam said itd run under $150 for the b tag. I dont mind paying a bit to do it right. Idk if ud call it a bob.. if i cat get the 36, ill have toremove the inter ax, thus not change the oa wb. But ill have to have a good shop make a new ds

jasonjc

The "B" tag for a deuce would at min. 14000lbs is $91.00 and go up from there per 1,000lbs. With a deuce with the 14,000lbs tag you had better not eat a big lunch and go for a drive.:p

If you tag a 5 ton you will need a "C" tag. Those start at $168.

Yet the biggest RV/motor home you can buy is only $30. How the **** is that fair.

Last edited:

Welder Sam

I think she said it goes by gvwr so i gave her the #'s frm the data plate that shows it 23,500 approx w/w. At that weight, id have no concerns abt being scaled by hwy patrol id hope

ARYankee

Oh. BTW. It was great meeting you today Sam!!! The great part was that you also got to meet a few other members off here as well. Unfortunately Jim nor me won a trophey :(

Welder Sam

So... back on topic... we've pretty much ruled out antique tags for me. What other headaches do u fellas in Ar think i could run into? While mrs pam and i spoke, i explained that i plan to make it into a crewcab 4x4 and she said id just have to write a statement detailing what i did and keep reciepts. To estimate value to double tax? Idk. I dont plan to do much more than get it "roughed in" before i re-tag the squisher. As always, advice and oppinions are appreciatedfat lady sings

Welder Sam

Hey fellas, if u dont mind me askin, how does Ar LE handle fuel testing? I know they nail semi's every year for running farm diesel instead of "on hwy use" fuel but if ya dump atf into pump grade fuel, wouldn it appear to be "off highway use only" or farm grade fuel? Knowin my luck ill get stopped by some "officer" thats got the typical "ima cop and ur not" attitude....

ARYankee

Great question!!! Now I spoke with a highway patrolman a couple months ago and he said that I would have no issues as long as I explain what I use it for and what not. That is running motor oil and anything else I can get a hold of. Now unless it is registered as farm use, you are SOL on using off road.

Keep the questions coming and I hope others jump in as well. I'm going to try and work with the revenue office to find out all I can about the rules and regulations pertaining to MVs. I'm going to try and build a cheat sheet for Arkansas folks. I'm also going to try and attempt to get some more specific laws for us. I'm not going to hose it up like Wisconsin but I would like to do something like FL or TX.

Welder Sam

Man, ur an awesome source as are the other fellas that have chimmed in! As always, i appreciate ya and keep the info coming! Im sure there is or will be more ppl out there that find yalls posts very helpful, just as i have

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks