• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have a '57 M45 Inline 6 gas engine & I need help.

deaddeuce

When I recently bought the truck everything was sound. Replaced an oil hose going to the side filter, continued to check fluids regularly, but over the past 2weeks of not checking the precious engine blood, it managed to be as efficient in burning the oil as it does gas. Out of the nine qts. only 2 remained as I checked the dipstick after a loss in pressure, slowing the rig down to a crawl with a gut wrenching knocking noise that makes you sick to your stomach, and then it was over, my adventure sat seized up on the side of the Highway. I know my way around some of our more common domestic motor's, but this big inline six has me a bit puzzed as to where to start. I'm dropping the pan to see if I have a rod jamming things up in there. I'll try to post my tear down and trouble search as best as possible, but if there is anyone out there who know's something that I don't about this gas terd, or who could point me in the right direction as to parts I would be very greatful.

deadduce in Tulsa.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: I have a

I ran my OA331 without oil for a while and it siezed up 4 valves in the head. At that point I gave it up and repowered the truck with a Multifuel. I would pull the valve covers first.
Forgot to ask, got any pics? What body does the M45 have. Do you know if its a Stude, Reo or maybe a Utica Bend?

deaddeuce

I have pics, just need to find the time to post them. Not too sure who make this one, but I'll find out. The body looks like any 60's model, or even 70's & up, the truck used to be a water purification truck for the corps of engineer reserves. I think the only good thing about that is that I haven't even turned 15,000 miles. The bad part is that most of the gassers are a little rare, because not all of them have been recycled.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

The OA-331 is a sleeved engine, and was popular with commercial truckers - hence parts are relatively plentiful, and fairly inexpensive and available through not only surplus dealers but also NAPA. The crankshafts tend to be a little "soft" and score easily.

Do you still have the water purification gear?

Best,
David Doyle

deaddeuce

That's great news! I have access to the water purification gear, but not in my possession. OA-331, does that mean that it is a 331 cu.in.?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Yes, its 331 cid Reo Gold Comet. It is a sleeved engine, so boring the block won't be needed. Bearings are available in multiple sizes - you could check the journals with plasticgauge. On other subjects, is the equipment still in the box body?

Regards,
David Doyle

louism99

if you need a crankshaft, i have one for cheap (free) just come by Riverside, CA and pick it up, not sure about the condition, it's been in a wooden ammo box, that came with my 52 Stude

deaddeuce

Well, the verdict is in, the motor is trashed. Not sure if I want to replace with same, rebuild, or swap out for multifuel, I would prefer the latter. I am under the understanding that the only things that need to be changed out are the radiator, engine mounts, and rerouting the breather. Found a reputable guy who works on rig, and will do the swap for $ 300-400, although I'm not sure what to expect on the $ of the multifuel. Any suggestions?

dd

Towman2277

I'd go for the multi-fuel at this point, unless you just want originality. I will keep an eye out, as I hear about a few cheap from time to time, and let you know any good deals....I assume that the multi would bolt up to the gasser 331 tranny?? Anyone know for sure, and I wonder if it'd also bolt right up to the r6602 tranny also??

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

If you intend to drive the truck on the road at all, you'll want to change the transmission if you covert from gas to Multifuel (the Multifuel is used with an overdrive tranny). I've bought running engine and transmission combos for 500 bucks.

The water purification body is FULL of purification equipment when issued - but many have been gutted, unfortunately.

Its easier to talk about converting engines than it is to actually do it right.

Regards,
David Doyle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Get a written contract at that price. I just did one in Feb and it took me the better part of 10 days by the time I rerouted air and fuel lines, changed mounts, changed fuel tanks and a whole bunch of other little things such as changing the angle of the throttle pedal. I enjoy working on the trucks and i'd do one for somebody if they wanted but it would have to be here at least a month and I wouldn't touch it labor wise for less than $2000.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks