• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carrier Bearing

Emmett

There is a post on SS about the carrier bearing but no part numbers...
Anyone know of a civvy part number/conversion for the carrier bearing?

Although the bearing is seized the rubber can be salavged. It took a torch to heat it up enough to get it off the drive shaft. In doing so, the bearing numbers are unreadable.

It would be nice to be able to get the rubber and bearing.

Tnx

Gamagoat1

Emmett,

The original is a BCA 88208WW, However it will not be found...
The replacement is a NAPA, SKF6208-2RSJ. (0085311062732) Made in USA. This is not a double steel seal like the original. However it has double rubber seals and can be relubricated, where as the original could not. This is only the bearing so the rubber will have to be reused. This one will probably not work well if you are crossing the English channel but sure will work well for what we use it for.

Emmett

Gamagoat1, Thanks for that info!
I hope the rubber fits tight around the bearing. I will be happy when I can lubercate the bearing as it is tho only one I couldn't.
Seems there are many parts on the goat that are made out of "un-obtanium".

Thanks Again

Gamagoat1

Very true. Some of these parts were for Goat only.
The bearing outside race is an exact match so it fits the rubber perfectly. The inner race is a little narrower but holds the shaft well. This is one of those items that were over engineered to the max. Very little load on this bearing.
If, when removing the bearing from the rubber, you press on one side of the bearing at the outer race, it will rotate in the rubber mount and can be pulled out.

Attachments

Last edited:

Emmett

Nice clean shelf. I had no problem getting it apart as I had to do it while it was installed. The bearing had to be heated/chiseled off the shaft.
I believe the rubber is still good and will work up the shaft later as I am in the middle of a 151A2 restoration.
Drove the Goat during a local 4th parade without the rear propeller shaft.

I guess one of the problems is that with the vibration and noise, it's hard to hear/feel when something is going bad. Interestingly enough, while under the goat taking the shaft out, I noticed a bolt comming out of the rear diff seal housing. I was just under there a few weeks ago lubing and changing ball joints.

I guess I need to perform an extensive PMCS prior to each outing to prevent a failure on the road.

Gamagoat1

The noise should be expected because of the Detroit, but there should be little vibration. Check mounting bolts at the transfer case to front diff. connection. These have a tendancy to back off. Also , make sure all the drive shafts are in phase. If it's a high speed vibration check the joint between the transmission and transfer. If all looks good run the engine up to governor speed in neutral to check for vibration. These engines are not balanced but have counter shafts that are supposed to cancel out the vibration. I worked on one that had been assembled wrong and had a real wild vibration.
These are great little vehicles but not to be used with out constant PMS.
I drove mine to Kansas City and back , 1200 miles. Great ride if hearing protection is used.
55 miles per hour at 14 mpg.

Emmett

I'm not sure how to tell if the drive shafts are "in phase". Thereis vibration but not so bad.
I have a Chadwick (made for balancing helicopter blades) and was considering installing it at various places just to see what the vibration is.
I have had this goat for a long time now and it has always been good to me. I parked it for a few years while I was in Kuwait and when I got back the brakes were Tango Uniform. That started the whole process of replacing the ball joints and bushings along with bearings and seals not to mention a few missing lock washers on u-joints.
I'm sure it's just a matter of time to find everything that is wrong with the goat but I will get there if I can ever finish up my other projects.

Emmett

Mike,
I was about to blast my propeller drive shafts for the M151 and believe it or not they are welded "out of phase".
There is no way, other than cutting and re-welding, the shafts to be correctly phased.
The 151 is basicly the same as the gama goat due to the differintal being secured to the frame (body) and it should not move in relation to the suspension.
I guess the engineers at AMG and Ford decided to ignore the phasing issue. Very interesting indeed.

Gamagoat1

If they are welded then they were balanced in that configuration. When they are made of seperatable elements , like the Goat, Dopge etc. Then this must be a means of reassembly to close to original balance.
Goat's rear shaft must be variable in length because of the movement between tractor and carrier.

Good guess anyway.

Last edited:

Emmett

Fair enough Mike.
I guess my vibration is somewhere else because my rear shaft is out awaiting re-assembly.
Very interesting topic none the less!
I do plan on taking the dog box out again ( grrrrr, what a pain) and going over the whole monkey motion of insuring things are secure. I will take your sage advice and look over all that you mentioned.

Gamagoat1

I find it very funny that the MWO was performed to add a little piece of clear tube so that oil flow could be observed at the transfer oil pump. With the dificulty removing the dog house, I doubt this was ever used as intended. I was considering making a little door, similar to the transfer case oil hatch, to be able to see the flow.

Emmett

I have not read that MWO but heard about it. I replaced my tube as it was stained from the oil and was no longer clear.
Each time I do remove the dog box, I insure that there is oil flow to the top of the transfer case shaft.
Adding a door where you can see the tube would be an iteresting modification and not a bad idea at all.
I won't do anything to the goat until the 151 project is finished. I am a bit anal about finishing a project before going on to the next one......The goat project is never finished but I guess I expected that.

Gamagoat1

I added Lucas oil stabilizer to insure that I never loose prime in that little pump.

I'm the same way about starting new projects. It just never seems to go the way I plan. Always too many things on the bench.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks