• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What oil filter for 10kw MEP-018a with a spin on filter?

ida34

Does anyone have a number for the spin on oil filter used on the 10kw mep18-a with the 4ao84 engine? I think it might be a fram PH8A since Saturn Surplus lists the part number for it as 8A. I got one today and will try it on the genset this weekend and post the results. As I remember from my parts days, I think the 8a is the Ford V-8 filter. I also think the spin on filter is the same for the 5k and 3k units.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spin on adapter is common between the 3, 5 and 10 KW sets. One of my 3 KW parts sets has the spin on adapter on it. I'll check to see if I can figure out what filter it has. Did your genset have the adapter or did you buy one from Saturn?

mangus580

Oil Filter for the spin on, is the same filter used on a Ford 302 engine ;-)

I think the PH8A is exactly the right number. You wont be wrong if you get one for the 302.

ida34

I do remember that it is the one for the ford V-8. I worked parts back before the computers so we memorized a lot of the common part numbers.

Ken
Mine came with the spin on. I have not bought anything yet but I need to get some plugs and fuel filters from them. I am looking the gens over this weekend to see what I need to get. I hope to get at least one running. I have only one starter between the two and it is on the one that is locked up so I am looking for a good starter. $125 at Saturn is a little steep right now so I will probably wait until I can get the one freed up. Saturn will get some business from me on these I am sure.

New question:

Does anyone know if the 12 volt batteries for the gen cross to any civvy battery number? Mine are set up with two 12's for more cranking power. Ken, didn't you know of some stuff to rejuvenate old batteries? If so what is it and how can I get it?

When I confirm the number tommarow I will submit it to the cross reference section.

mangus580

Not sure on the batteries, but for the starter, there is some rumor that a starter from a 93 Mazda 626 can be modified to fit these engines. (at least the 4a032, but I think they are all the same). This would give you 12v start. Oh yeah, forgot the 084 charges the batts.... that might not work so well :-(

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EDTA I believe is the product that works on the batts. There is a commercial battery thats close but I can't recall the number at all.

ida34

I still have yet to pull the batteries and try to charge them. I have two 6tl's from my new cucv and four from the gens. They all seem pretty dead. The 6tls are showing about 1.25 volts each. I have a newer computer controller charger and it will not charge dead batteries. It will just give you an error code to replace the batteries. Does that stuff work for some what dead batteries or is it just for weak batteries?

ida34

I found out that a group 51 battery fits almost perfectly in place of the military 2hn batteries. I found them at the local auto parts store.

peyton

Re: RE: What oil filter for 10kw MEP-018a with a spin on fil

mangus580 said:
Not sure on the batteries, but for the starter, there is some rumor that a starter from a 93 Mazda 626 can be modified to fit these engines. (at least the 4a032, but I think they are all the same). This would give you 12v start. Oh yeah, forgot the 084 charges the batts.... that might not work so well :-(
Any idea what kind of mods are required? I'd love to put a starter on my 4a032. Thanks

Peyton

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: What oil filter for 10kw MEP-018a with a spin on

I think you just need to turn down the nose cone to fit the hole. Look up the 4a032 yahoo group. Thats where I got the info from.

CCATLETT1984

hey ida, I had no idea that you had a couple of the 10k gensets. If you don't need them, I need a few of the springs off of the top of the genset.
Will get some pics of the places where they are missing.

ida34

I may part one but I have not made that decision yet. As of now I plan to get both of them running. I will let you know if I start parting out one.

Armada

Chuck, have you had a chance to play with the latest cucv yet? Does she run?

ida34

Yea I got it started. I just need to get new batteries, change the trans filter, fill the trans, and fill the radiator. The glow plug relay was fried but after I replaced it with one I had it worked great. How was the color trip up north?

Armada

The trip was great. Perfect weather, and peak colors. Spent the 4 days on Drummond Island. Found a guy with a 47 Willy's and asked him about it when I went into his store. He said it runs, and would sell it for $900. Went out and looked closer at it, wow, what a pos. I don't know how long ago it had run, but the moter was the only thing of value if it did run. It has sat outdoors with no top for years. About 8 coats of paint on it and I think thats the only thing holding it together, it was totally rotted. There was actually lichens gowing on everything. It had not moved in years as it was sunken into the ground.

peyton

Re: RE: Re: RE: What oil filter for 10kw MEP-018a with a spi

mangus580 said:
I think you just need to turn down the nose cone to fit the hole. Look up the 4a032 yahoo group. Thats where I got the info from.
Thanks, one more interesting site I didn't know about.

Peyton

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks