• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best place to buy a unimog 404?

tm america

I have been interested in getting a 404 for a while now.I know i want to get a german -nato unimog 404 with the dropside bed. Problem is most of the ones i see in the states guys have removed and made different beds. I have seen a couple places that sell them in germany and europe. HAs anyone bought overseas and had them shipped here? If so how was dealing with importing and getting a title?THis is probably the route i will go so i can get one recently released from the gov and unmolested by private owners.Any input will be a great help...

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your best source for an unmolested Mog is from a European supplier. I have imported Mogs and registered them here in CR and believe that if it can be done here it can certainly be done stateside!

The 404 has been out of service for 2 decades so you will be looking for pretty old stock. I purchased my initial Mogs from a company run by Charly Alfers, of European Truck trials fame. The company is not too far from port in northern Germany:
Alfers&Sohn Verkauf und weltweiter Export gebrauchte Nutzfahrzeuge LKW Allradfahrzeuge von Bundeswehr Militär Armee THW und Feuerwehr in Norddeutschland

The contact person you are seeking is Detlef, who has very passable English.

There are also a constant supply of private party sales in the German classifieds, however you may find it more comfortable to deal with a company if you purchase sight unseeen.

Rick

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are smart to try to find an unmolested 404. Too many have been converted to 'trail' trucks, and ruined, IMHO.

Probably the best place to watch for a Unimog is on the Unimog Exchange:

Unimog® Exchange

There are often 404s on the Exchange in original condition. A good buddy bought a beautiful Belgium variety 404 recently.

I'm partial to radio trucks and see a couple of nice ones currently listed. Item 40 on second page is a troop carrier but I can't tell if it has drop sides or not.

Placing a "wanted" listing might be successful. There seem to be a lot of 404's available right now.

Good luck,

Bob

mog1218

There are a bunch of unmolested trucks out there. I know of at least 10 just here in the Northwest.

Also give this site a try Unimog Classifieds | UnimogXchange

Give Scott at Expedition Imports or Willy at Swiss Army Vehicles a call. They will likely have very good information for you. Both are good guys and I have bought from both
Expedition Imports Corporation Home
Swiss Army Vehicles - The Prime Pinzgauer and Unimog Source

I know of a original swiss unit for sale. PM me if you want the owners info.

Wolf.Dose

The address in northern germany is reasonable. Swiss MOG's are probably in better condition overall, however much more expensive. The MOG's are usually for more than 10 years out of service and parked outside, so a lot of work. And they are trucks, so the prices are truck like for spares (which means European truck prices). And a 404 S need for some work a big box of special tools. You should by them , too.
For Import in the US, the truck must be built before 1975, else no title for the gas engine. EPA 75 exhaust emmissions required for most of the gas engines simple catalysts. The M180 Unimog engine of the mid 50's will not fullfill EPA 75.
But that engine runs , if propperly adjusted for that, on fuel as low as 60 oktan.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks