• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New ADDICT in City Code Enforcement

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dianna and I were running some errands yesterday (not in the Deuce, but in her minivan) and one of the stops was the Post Office.

While patiently standing in line, the gentleman behind us struck up a conversation. He recognized me from recent Newspaper Parade Photos and my occasional presence at City Council Meetings, etc. Here's how the conversation went....

Him: Aren't you John with the BIG old Army Truck?

Me: Yes, sir, that would be me.
(Introductions... including his supervisory position with Code Enforcement)

Him: I've "always" wanted a Deuce and a Half. How did you get yours?

(Quick "story" and overview of GL, GSA, and other sources.)

Him: WOW! I didn't realize that they were so readily available.

Then the floodgates opened and the questions started flowing....

How did you learn how to drive it?
Can you get parts?
Is it fun to drive?
Do you take it off-road?
If I get one, would you help me figure it all out???
(Now I KNEW I was talking to a new addict needing a "FIX"!!!)
Are there others around here that we can get together with?
(OK - Now he's showing signs of OD Fever.)

Me: (I answered all his questions and our friendship is taking root. Looks like next weekend we'll be giving him his first ride and "lessons".)

At this point in the conversation it was our turn with the Postal Clerk.... afterward we lingered until he was done with mailing a PILE of REGISTERED MAIL CITATIONS (I thought that to be a little ironic - but it is his job.)

We then briefly resumed talking.... and he related this...

Him: I've had several calls about seeing your truck all over town. Some have said that it has no license plates and no inspection sticker, so it must not be "legal". I've had to assure them all that you have a a perfectly legal Former Military Vehicle and that you do wonderful things for the community with it. They usually accept that, but a couple of the complainers refused to accept my "authoritative" reply and threaten to call the Police.
I've also talked to the Police about your truck and they tell me that they get calls about you practically every time you drive it. They also assure the gripers that you're perfectly legit.
Finally, he added that even one City Councilman wanted the truck IMPOUNDED and BANNED from the City, but he (the Code Enforcement Guy) informed the Councilman that he wanted to get one too and that Texas Law supported the hobby. And that if it were brought before the City Council he, as a Code Enforcement Officer, would speak against any ordinances attempting to restrict Former Military Vehicles or Antique Cars and Trucks. (Several City Board Members and another City Councilman are VERY active with their Antique Cars - So this was a pointedly inclusive rebuke of any "threat".)

I sensed that he was already feeling kinda proud to be speaking out for the MV Hobby.

BTW: The Postal Clerk that waited on him happens to own a "fleet" of restored antique postal vehicles - from Cushman 3-wheelers to Jeeps, to Gruman (sp?) route trucks, and even an old USPS Tow Truck!

... With that, we went our separate ways and are all looking forward to a long and fun friendship.

It's GREAT to have a City Official infected with OD Fever! And for him to be in such a key position to run interference on any potential complaints.

mistaken1

Him: I've had several calls about seeing your truck all over town. Some have said that it has no license plates and no inspection sticker, so it must not be "legal". I've had to assure them all that you have a a perfectly legal Former Military Vehicle and that you do wonderful things for the community with it. They usually accept that, but a couple of the complainers refused to accept my "authoritative" reply and threaten to call the Police.

I've also talked to the Police about your truck and they tell me that they get calls about you practically every time you drive it. They also assure the gripers that you're perfectly legit.

Finally, he added that even one City Councilman wanted the truck IMPOUNDED and BANNED from the City, but he (the Code Enforcement Guy) informed the Councilman that he wanted to get one too and that Texas Law supported the hobby.

America! Land of the FREE and home of the brave.

Simply amazing how many people BELIEVE that no one should be allowed to do anything that they do not personally approve of. Yet these people would be the first to scream bloody murder if someone tried to "shove their morals down the complainer's throat".

Lawrence of Arabia

I can bet the people complaining are usually driving a Prius or foreign fuel efficient car. I have a name for them, but since this is not a Political thread/website, I will refrain.

phil2968

I'm glad you have things so well. Here in Polk County Florida anything with 3 axles is considered a commercial vehical. That really messes me up as commercial vehicals are not allowed to be parked in a residental area. Bummer, I own 3 of them!

AceHigh

I'm glad you have things so well. Here in Polk County Florida anything with 3 axles is considered a commercial vehical. That really messes me up as commercial vehicals are not allowed to be parked in a residental area. Bummer, I own 3 of them!
Wonder if you can successfully challenge that? Since you are not commercial (I assume) how can your vehicle be commercial? Just pondering.

Here is my friend's 4 axle "something", it has 4 axles but it is not commercial.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great story CW. Keep us informed on how your relationship develops. Being from Texas, your information may come in handy in the future.

steelandcanvas

John, Obviously he's a good guy to have on our side, and you are truly a great representitive of the hobby. It just amazes how many people pre-judge and stick their nose into things they know absolutely nothing about.

appnut1

You are lucky to have a code enforcement guy on your side. My duece was legal by city and HOA rules but a couple of neighbors made mine and my 10 year old daughter's life so miserable we sold it.

bulldawg

I can bet the people complaining are usually driving a Prius or foreign fuel efficient car. I have a name for them, but since this is not a Political thread/website, I will refrain.
Sorry to burst your bubble but some people own both OD Green and a Prius. Not sure how ownership of one means you can't have the other.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are lucky to have a code enforcement guy on your side. My deuce was legal by city and HOA rules but a couple of neighbors made mine and my 10 year old daughter's life so miserable we sold it.
I'm bringing home my first Deuce next week and hope this will not be an issue. I've called and City code enforcement and police about it. Neigher have a problem with it parked on the street. HOA will not allow it in the driveway overnight and would take issue with it parked on the street, but allows recreational vehicles to be parked out of sight. My concern is having someone complain when they see me driving it into my back yard, and having to deal with the HOA.

Mine will be behind a 9ft wood covered gate totally out of sight. I am also planting shrubs this fall that will grow up to 12'-15' in a few years to increase my 6.5 ft wood privacy fence. Idea is to block the side neighbors view and break up a little bit of the noise.

Beyond parades what does everyone else do with their vehicles to be a public service to people around them and the city? (i.e., Suggestions on how to be a good ambassador and create good opinions of OD steel collectors?)

bugei

mike

my wife keeps watching all those pawn shows (pawn stars and hardcore pawn),, and every time comments on how good i'd be at the buyn part, not so good at the selln part.

we were discussing how if i would get rid of just one thing, she would be happy, then it hit her, which thing might be going; and then i'd be happy. END OF DISCUSSION

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks