• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chris in Anchorage AK

AK Westphal

So I had my first GL experience. First trying to get EUC filled out and questions answered about load out protocal. Chris actually was friendly and talked me through everything that I needed to do before heading to Anchorage 360 miles away. First trailer I won was a 105 so got the EUC in and waited. A week or two later I won an auction on (accidently) two 101A2s. Figured that the EUC would catch up to the first one and I could get all the trailers together. Then the following week realize that the 101s don't need EUC. So I scramble trying to come up with a recovery plan. Figure I can haul the two back on a car hauler and deal with the 105 later. So I spend several days trying to get a phone call through finally reach Chris's yard hand, Chris is in Fairbanks helping GL site for upcoming auction and won't be back for a week. I finally reach him, there is a loadout time a week away, I'm a little worried about the ten day retrieval policy. Two days before I leave EUC clears, less then four weeks first time buyer. So I head for Anchorage the night before day ten and make it 50 miles with my borrowed equipement trailer, needed better weight capacity for load, when my alternator quits and I get towed home. Cooked battery and part of wiring harness, also sprayed acid down the side of the truck. Not going to make Anchorage by morning. Sorta high point was I made it back to work the next day and didn't have to burn my day of leave. Call Chris, "No problem. Call when you get your truck fixed."
I'm waiting for parts so do some calling around and call in a favor. My budy is neighbors with local rental company owner, he cuts me a deal on a f-350 crew cab diesel 4x4. 80 a day unlimited mileage but I'm responsible for trailer. So I reschedule for following week same time and head south again. This time no hitches, get there early and take the guys donuts. We spent two hours loading trailers, ok I was barely helping cause I didn't know what needed to be done, but they were working. I jumped in werever I could, which would be why one trailer had a little paint scraped off the fender by the forklift. We wouldn't have taken near that amount of time had we not loaded the wrong 101 first, A3 axles don't fit inside 105 trailers:( Also taking tarps and bows and sides off three trailers is a work out. That took as long as anything and we were all sweating even though it was a cool morning. 105s are ridiculus, may cut the bottom of the side rails off if it ever comes apart again. Made it back home and unloaded the next day with about 15 minutes to spare after returning trailer and truck. Chris and his helper wer awesome and he insisted on loading the trailers pointed backward on trailer so I could pull them off. The 101 inside the 105 loaded to the back of that trailer. I was able to pull it all apart with the rental truck attatched to the car hauler and using my truck to pull the trailers off. The 105 I backed up to a bank and used my plow truck and a short chain in the lunett ring it came right out. I did have to put the tires of the 101 on a couple 6x6 blocks to clear taillights. When I went to pull it out there was a gap between the block and the fender well that the tires wanted to drop into, I left the brakes locked and pulled forward until they slid into the wheel wells then released the brakes and out she rolled. Would never have worked if Chris hadn't insisted we load in that direction, I'd have been looking for equipement to pick them apart then multi trips to get it all back home.

My vote GL employees are awesome and I didn't lose any taillights. Sorry I don't have pictures, video of seperating the 101 and 105 would have been good but the wife was busy hiding and peaking around the corner ready to call for help if I screwed up:)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks