• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want a Mule

Blacksmoke

Saw a Mule at the Vietnam base mockup at Patriots Point, SC. Had a full day checking out the USS Yorktown. Don't know too much about the mules. Are they hard to find?

txdodge43man

they are out there mostly on the east and west coast. There is a company that deals with military mules only and I belive they are on the east coast I just can think of their name.

gunboy1656

There are 2 primary companies that deal with mules:

Mechanical Mules of America- be prepared to drop a LOT of money out of your wallet

and Mechanical Mules.com (David Kelone)- Got a good deal upfront had to do a bunch of work to make it good again, but it was fun to work on. had to redo the needle bearings, the tie rods, boots, correct farmer bills updates.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mules are out there, in various places like eBay, classifieds sections on MV sites (like this one!), occasionally on Craigslist and through word of mouth.

They are pretty expensive to purchase and certain parts can be expensive. The best source of parts is Bill Watson. (Home)

I think since you are reasonably close by, you should contact SS member "charlie", he's in Alabama and is really in touch with the mule community. Ask him if he knows where any are for sale.

Definitely educate yourself about the mules, they are available in several flavors (2cyl, 4cyl, 2 wheel steer, 4 wheel steer, etc.).

Prices can go anywhere from $2K for a basketcase to $10K for a gorgeous show mule.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mules are out there, in various places like eBay, classifieds sections on MV sites (like this one!), occasionally on Craigslist and through word of mouth.

They are pretty expensive to purchase and certain parts can be expensive. The best source of parts is Bill Watson. (Home)

I think since you are reasonably close by, you should contact SS member "charlie", he's in Alabama and is really in touch with the mule community. Ask him if he knows where any are for sale.

Definitely educate yourself about the mules, they are available in several flavors (2cyl, 4cyl, 2 wheel steer, 4 wheel steer, etc.).

Prices can go anywhere from $2K for a basketcase to $10K for a gorgeous show mule.
Hey Clinto,

I didn't think the mule would fit in the back of the M105 without taking off the front basket. Does it fit in and you can close the tailgate without removing items?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have transported mine in an M101, backed in, with a block of wood under the front tires so the basket is above the tailgate. It is far from ideal(the fenders are too narrow so you have to try to hit both and go over them as you back in, while going up a ramp). I do the same thing when I haul it in my pickup truck(to close the tailgate)

You can use a bottle jack to lift the front tires up and place a wood bock under them to get more height under the basket.

An M105 is much easier.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

An M105 is much easier. You can use a bottle jack to lift the front tires up and place a wood bock under them to get more height under the basket.
You needed to get more height? Mine had enough clearance whether it was pulled in or backed in. I have to pick up my trailer and mule tonight so I will measure the height difference.

There is also this pic from NickD.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I edited that post to be more clear.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey Clinto,

I didn't think the mule would fit in the back of the M105 without taking off the front basket. Does it fit in and you can close the tailgate without removing items?
I always back mine into the trailer, so the foot baskets are at the rear. This is easier to load and unload and also allows me to leave the front rack in. I leave the rear rack off, as the foot basket(s) protrude about 6" past the tailgate.

You can see in one of these pictures GoldComet6 took of us as we were leaving the Kennesaw MVPA rally last year the way the foot baskets are pushing the rear cover flap out a bit.

It is a somewhat tight fit between the M105 wheelwells, but it is manageble.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Someone here on site (think RECOVRY4X4) said that mules are the most EXPENSIVE MV pound for pound

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone here on site (think RECOVRY4X4) said that mules are the most EXPENSIVE MV pound for pound
There are 2 primary companies that deal with mules:

Mechanical Mules of America- be prepared to drop a LOT of money out of your wallet

and Mechanical Mules.com (David Kelone)- Got a good deal upfront had to do a bunch of work to make it good again, but it was fun to work on. had to redo the needle bearings, the tie rods, boots, correct farmer bills updates.
You forgot Bill Watson, who is one of the best MV/parts dealers out there and truely a GREAT guy. Mules are VERY expensive pound for pound.

Blacksmoke

Thanks for the replies. A mule sure would look cool in the 105, & would be handy around the farm. Time to do a lot of research & get educated on these.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks