• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armored Jeeps

historyfanatics

I have been giving this some thought, and decided it might be kind of fun to do. After i finish The Widow Maker, of course.:p

Anyways, I have contemplating building an armored jeep based on the M151's from Vietnam.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Thoughts? Comments?

Right now, it's just an idea. I need to build another M151-series for a separate project related to The Widow Maker. I figured I'd go ahead and get two out of the way.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Actually, the Fast Attack Vehicle (FAV) belongs to Troy.;)

I think this pic is the type of jeep being sought.

This Gunjeep will be at the Gathering in Louisville, KY I think.:grd:

WarrenD

There are several pictured in James Lyles' Book Hard Ride Vol 2 and more supposedly coming later this year in Vol 3.
I've had a few folks ask if I had considered doing one when I talked about doing a M37 GT. If you're determined to use a 50Cal, think again, the pedestal mounts on the M151's couldn't take the stress of the 50, at least from what I've read. They were tried, but the 151 needs to have the floor reinforced.

vtdeucedriver

Warren. Let me clarify your statement. A m151 pedestal will take a m2hb on the stock m4 mount. Where the problem is that the gun jeeps did not use the stock military pedestal. Most mounts used in Vietnam were just pieces of pipe welded to the floor in the back. So to do the mount proper. The floor needs a good plate to be attached to. Another bonus was added protection from the bottom for the guy on the gun.

historyfanatics

Thanks, guys. And, thanks for the pic.

That's kind of what I was thinking of in building. Maybe also going with the armored windshield.

Right now, it's still in the planning stages.

I wasn't planning on putting a .50 on it. Just an M60 or two. My experience with the .50 is that they are rather unwieldy when fired over the side. I had thought about maybe putting a crank-model 40mm grenade launcher, just to be different. I have some good photos showing those on several jeeps.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The gun jeeps I saw in country had most of the time a single 60, a few double side by side (gi build) 60s, only saw one 30, and never a 50, now that was about 45 years ago, now my memory is not what used to be, like can't remember what my wife asked me to do :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks