• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting My Goat USMC

Joe Gamma

Hi Guys,

I appologise if this has been answered but what color or colors did the Marines paint their goats. I was on Okinawa in 81-83 and seem to remember them just light green but certainly be wrong.

Thanks all,

Joe

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most that I saw in the Marines (79-80's) were painted Merdec (4-colour) camo.

The usual scheme was the Winter-Verdant (green 45%-brown 45%-sand 5%-black 5%).
(Edit- the colours in 1958 M274's post link below)

Check out manual TB43-0147 for details.

Semper Fi!

Cheers

Last edited:

1958 M274

That's the way mine is painted, along with the two other Marine Corps Gama Goats that I've been around and worked on. Here's a link to a pattern that I found by a google search...

M561_Gama_Goat_Camo_Paint_Page

Any original USMC goats that I have seen have also had a winch, and a M60 mount on the passenger side. Was yours originally a USMC vehicle? If so, what is the manufacturers serial number (will start with 2252S) and USMC serial number? Do you have any pictures?
Joe

Joe Gamma

I will Pm you the serial number if that is ok. I have no idea as to the origin of this goat military wise and just know it was made in 71. I'm painting it USMC camo because of my own service and seeing them as such in Okinawa. I will add the extra bits as I come across them but I heard the Goat does not float well with a winch.

At this point working with the vehicle I realise they converted the electrical from 24v to 12v. It lacks all its bottom plates and missing some gauges. It has a artic cab I removed which might be hard to aquire so if anyone would be intrested give me a shout. Driving it with just the windshield is really a blast.

Does anyone have any good pictures of the back of a goat with the benches. Someone tore them out and I was wondering what went where the plates were..

I have a ton of foam glued in the back as if to protect the bed..is this normal?

Thanks Guys

Joe

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone doesn't beat me to it, I will take some pictures of Sarge's Goat seats this afternoon for you.

What 1958 M274 posted is the scheme I was referring to (nice illustration! [thumbzup]).

The colours are green 34079, brown (Field Drab) 30118, and Sand 30277.
I don't recall the code for black, but it is, well, black...

Cheers

Emmett

Hello Joe,
The rear (trailer) I believe was filled with foam. The whole unit was welded together.
I'm not sure what you mean by plates. The bench is made from fiberglass and flips up and down.
the rest of the bench was part of the goat wheel well.
In photo 2 I see the thin sheet metal plate that covers the master cyl access hole. I have no idea that that hose screwed into the floor is for.

In my opinion, the goat didn't swim well regardless of what was installed. I believe the manula states that if you have two or more extras ( winch, cold weather kit, MG mount) you have to install balast in the rear.

There are only a few plates I know of that are intended to be removed....The front plate that gains you access to the FRONT steering box, the access plate for the REAR steering box, the plates to gain access to the tail lights. Don't forget the plugs for the tractor section.

It seems that Bubba has had a good time having his way with that goat....more pix please!

Emmett

I looked at the photo's again. Don't know if that was some kind of insulation that was installed or if it was to protect whatever was in the back. Being red, I can only assume that the Dept of Forrestry or some FD owned it...Might it be to protect a water tank??? Never seen foam glued in like that. Gonna be fun scraping all that off.

Joe Gamma

The foam glued to the rear sides really threw me off. It would not help the goat float but would protect the aluminum bed. I am going to scrap it all off. My understanding is the Goat was owned by a Electric Company up North in like Montana or Minnasota.

I have a real pro restoring it with me and he is not fazed by its condition at all. Besides the 12 back to 24 v project and a engine leak Its ok. I'll be having it sand blasted Monday to remove any thought of that red from my mind. I am already thinking a need a scrap goat just for parts...I know they are out there ( parts) but they can add up..

Thanks again

Joe

Emmett

Yea Joe, there are parts out there...But some parts are very hard to find. Going back to 24 Volts, other than a PIA shouldn't be a big problem. Gonna have to get gauges, sending units, Alternator, Starter, Horn and bulbs.
There are some sharp guys on here that know quite a bit about the goat so dont hesitate to ask any questions...I've had mine for about 12 years and I learn something new every time I go to work on something.
There is always something new to work on.;)

Gamagoat1

Be easy on the blasting. The aluminum blows away fast.
The rear troop seats are made of aluminum and do fold down. They have a latch on each side with a wire attached to each. When you pull the wire the latches retract releasing the seat and it folds down.
The foam applied by the factory was pumped into the voids as a liquid, then as it foamed it hardened. That's why some Goats look swolen in areas. What you have is someone's attempt at making it warmer or quieter, or, an ambulance set up for extreme cold climate.
When you sandblast, watch for holes. Water gets into the voids and a reaction between the foam and water eats holes in the aluminum. If your lucky, they will be small and plugable with J B Weld.

Watch your breaklines. If there is any evidence of water having been in the master cyl. You can expect rust in the steel break lines.
I'll take some pictures of the rear seats and post them for ya.

I think the hose comming up out of the floor is the fuel line connection for the heater that the ambulance used.

The attached pictures are:
#1 is the hole for an ambulance heater.
#2 is the ambulance seat and jump seat.
#3 is the seat in mine in folded down position
#4 is the seat in the use position.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joe Gamma

Thanks Mike for the great pics. I guess I am short the two fold down seets and will take off the heater hose and store it. I be busy scrapping all the foam out Wenesday. The Guy then helping me restore it will then put it on a trailor on blocks and remove all the wheels so they do a great job sandblasting it. He assured me the sand blasting wont effect the aluminum.. I've tracked down alot of parts but are desperate for all the covers under the goat if anyone has a name and a bumper.

Anyway thanks again and I will post more picks wehen its on the blocks!

Joe

Joe Gamma

Whew! After a hard days work I am almost done scraping the foam from that **** trailor. I was side tracked after the third panel when baking at 1pm the guy restoring it..( not my foam scraping stuff) says Hey how bout a cold bud....Boy it and the four more were perfect..Six out of eight are done but decided to post some pics to show how sucky it was. ( My buddy also restores antiques or works on them. The Jeep was so cool with Buds I posted it to...)

Joe

Attachments

Joe Gamma

Cool..Er I think...definatly has a stock number on it..will have to run it tommorrow..For some reason when they guy helping me restore it saw a hose poking from the bed he asked me if it was an old Ambulance trailor...maybe it is..

joe

Gamagoat1

It's pretty bent up but it's possible that it's a part of the canopy flange for the ambulance.
The m 561 didn't have a heater, the winterized ambulance did. Does the tailgate have a step bolted to the inside surface? Is there a pintal hook?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks