• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BOBBED EARLY Deuce

comdiver

I can get a M135 for not much money. The engine and transmission
are bad. I am thinking about bobbing the truck and replacing the engine and transmission with a DT466 and a Allision from a schoolbus. Any thoughts?

JDToumanian

That looks pretty cool. The DT-466 is pretty tall and long... Also, the tranny may be long such that the transfer case would be in the way. You may want to do some preliminary measuring before you commit. Maybe you already have, or maybe you're a fabricator and will stuff it in there anyway!

Jon

comdiver

The pictures are great! My project is still in the armchair stage and it's great you guys are willing to sit and think with me. Where is the truck in the photos from? There is a short drive shaft between the transfer and tranny, I think. I haven't mesured the old engine and tranny yet. Does anyone know how long the GMC is?
PS: I'm from buffalo.

jasonjc

the trans and tranfer are sperat But the tranfer is only one speed. the eng compartment is short remeber it only had a 302cid in it.
and the axles are not rockwells they are old style GMC not shure about parts for these. All thing to think about the truck maybe cheap but if you have to replace evey thing are you still saveing any thing??? Just my $0.02 and some things to think about.

n1bnc

Just a thought, when and if you break up the M135 you will have a truck load of parts kicking around causing bruises etc. Let us know what you have and people are rather likely to take bits off your hands.

Have at it! Mine is almost out of the shop for repairs I didn't have the time to address personally. It will be a fun ride when done!!! :D

I am also curious as to the eventual success of your ideas.

snakeater

I also have found a ultra cheap 211 that will make it's way to my home in the next week or so. I will be bobbing this one for sure. Inform me on the winches on these trucks. Hydraulic or pto? This truck I am looking at has a pto for sure, but no winch. Snakeater

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always thought a 135 would be way cool with a big block GM engine and a TH400. Lots of rpm and torque, and short enough too. And light in weight compared to some other things. The caddilac 500 is quite light.

snakeater

well I solidified the deal today for the Jimmy. It's actually a 135 that someone has added dual rear tires. Seems to be in " savable shape" with the bed being a total loss and the rest in fair shape. Engine runs well, but no brakes, owner suspects a wheel cylinder is to blame. Used to be an old fire dept. truck so is equiped with various pipes and pumps that are no longer needed. It does however have the front winch bumper intact and serviceable. More than likely I will be installing a m-35 winch that a friend has collecting dust in his shop. May even add two one front and one rear? That would be kinda cool for bobbed truck. Gonna need a major clean up however as I disturbed a number of field mice in the cab scrambling around. I will start a threat on this shortly and show the rebuild, think I will call it snakes jimmy. Has a certain ring to it huh...

SasquatchSanta

One of my friends has an M135 with a dump box on it that he uses to haul sand and gravel over the lakes (ice) in the window. Even with the weight of the heavy dump box and tandem axles the stock 305 6-culinder performes admirably. If the truck were bobbed and the heavy dump box was removed and replaced with a standard shortened box the stock engine would be completely ample and a whole of a lot quieter and lighter than a diesel.

If it were up to me I wouldn't even install a winch --- I'd keep it light and simple. I've had several trucks with winches that I've never used. All they did was hang out over the front axle and make it harder to steer.

My tastes and yours are probably different but my feeling is to keep it uncomplicated. I personally get tired of listening to a clattering diesel. Gas engines just seem a lot more civilized.

Whateve you do, M135a are cool.

snakeater

I was really only considering a winch because my truck already has the bumper and pto, just the winch has been removed. Although I feel like if you have something as large as a bobbed deuce, it pays dividends to be able to self recover if need be. I never used the winch on my last deuce, but I felt more comfortable that it was there if I needed it. Makes you feel all warm and snuggly inside, also makes you do more stupid things knowing you have the ability to get out. Snakeater

hippiedude

W/w and wo/w bumpers are the same .....all you do is turn the bumper over an add a center stone sheld ....Good luck with your project , and if you want to part with the motor and trany :wink: let me know ........... Tim

BugEyeBear

"snakeater"

Welcome to the club of Jimmy Deuce owners!

The old dueces are great!
They are built REALLY SOLID, and have a small but strong following here on SS.

Take a look at the size of the rear spring pack and compare it to the spring pack on a M35 Deuce & you'll soon see what I mean!

Good sources for parts are Alpha Heaven, Memphis Equip, and a few other vendors.
Occasionally you can get a good deal on parts via eBay, but BE CAREFUL as some of these "deals" are junk and/or wornout/weathered.
Some vendors occasionally clear out their stocks of LARGE Parts, and these sell for BARGAIN prices!! But once these stocks of parts are gone, they're GONE!

Fellow Jimmy owners on SS are also very supportive.
Many have their own stockpile of spare parts that they are willing to share to a fellow Jimmy enthusiast for minimal cost.

Please keep us posted on your project!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks