• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overhaulin a CNN H1 (or lipstick on a hog)

rmgill

So CNN (Eason Jordan really) bought two HMMWVs for the second gulfwar drive to Bagdad for our Iraq news crews, one H1 one and ex military HMMWV. The H1 spent most of its time being towed because the fuel system or something crapped out. Both vehicles were brought back to the US last year and spent a large amount of time sitting.

Overhaulin was given one of the HMMWVs (now, thank god it was the H1) to "overhaul". I came into work this morning and they've got the H1 out for making into a package for us and for their conclusion of their show. The plan is to auction the H1 off.

I am unhappy with the results that Overhaulin has to show. I didn't see what they did to the engine, the drive-line looks painted (red springs and pumpkins, polished aluminum castings, etc), the towing shackles front and rear and their mounts were chromed. The rims are chrome. The tires are off road tires (probably the original type tires) but aside from the standard hardware nothing was done to make this a more capable off-road vehicle. There's a couple of huge speakers in the back, some LCD displays and it's been dolled up like a basic show truck with nothing useful added to it's HMMWV heritage for a vehicle that's been near the pointy end of the stick and around combat. There is a mural on the metal flake tan/gold paint that honors the troops which is good, but I'm not sure it's execution was so hot.

Personally, I'd have added a winch in lieu of chroming the tow shackles, I'd have added an 8000 lb winch. In lieu of chrome rims, I'd have checked the driveline out and perhaps fixed a few things (I wonder if the vampire transmission issue was addressed). In lieu of a big amp and speakers, I'd have put in a GPS system, Sat Com System, Nav computer, High Power CB system and other communications gear to show off what such a truck should look like. A Secondary alternator and perhaps a small APU (one of those little honda units?) would be good. Upgrades to lighting would also be in order, front and rear spot lights and floods plus a tougher bumper and some diamond plate on the roof to increase stowage capacity. Something OTHER than leather on the seats too.

mangus580

nopics

although, I am aware that you probably cant share any yet...

I do agree with your opinion on this though, they could have done something useful. But then again, this show seems to be about 'hot rodding' things...

BigJay

I generally really like what Chip & crew do with the cars on that show. It's light years ahead of what they do on pimp my ride and stuff. But the last 4x4 they did on there didn't look so hot. I think it's just not where their heads are. I'm interested in seeing the show, but I'm not expecting much.

On a side note, I thought I read a year or more ago that the guys at Blue Torch Fab were doing a show like American Chopper/Hotrod but with the competition 4x4s... But I haven't heard anything since. I wonder what happened?

-Jay

dilvoy

Ah.... Grasshopper, don't forget that with good pose and lighting you can take an excellent foto of gao si and make it seem more than the sum of it's ingredients.

devilman96

I think they do a great job with that show also but they are not at all geared for off road work... Their version of a Hummer would be to cruise to South Beach or something.

Chip is a "car guy"... and proably one of the best in the world when it comes to street rods and design work. I am in awe of some of the work he and his father have produced over the years... Its a fading talent that is being lost to a generation that thinks peel and stick graphics and LED / neon lights make cars go fast or look good...

Most importantly... Don't forget these poor guys are also stuck with boneheaded producers whom proably think a H1 with a chromed out look is "Yo... da bomb... Bytich"

*sigh*... someone fetch my gun for me please...

wyliek

just saw the ad for that tonight i think its going to air next week, cant wait to see it.....tonight they have a lifted 2wd F100, SWEET, and even better its for a celebraty like he cant afford it..... :x

rmgill

They Buffed/Belted all the Grade 8 hardware down to smooth heads. You can't tell that they're grade 8 any more. Shackles that are bolted on with smooth headed bolts.

Swapped out the Diesel with a 454 Gasser Chevy engine, that's good because you can't get diesel just anywhere...?

I just love the convoy of Leopard 1 A4 tanks, Bradleys, CCKWs, Stalwarts, and Bedford TM trucks.... I don't know about Bedfords, but CCKWs, Stalwarts and Leopards weren't part of the coalition forces......

I pray that they NEVER, EVER touch a real truck.

David_4x4

Meh, it's a TV show with a group of people who, like stated earlier, are car guys and in which CNN obviously had no intention of ever bringing the vehicle back into any severe service of any kind.

Of course there's things we all would have been done different, but someone will get a vehicle that will most likely never be driven a whole lot, have a story, make car show appearances and a charity will get a donation.

My 2 psi.

wyliek

overall probably the worst overhaulin i have ever seen. That bright red 454 was really fitting for a hummer :x boo what a waste, they definatly could have done a much better job once you get over the fact that its a 'pimped' H1

rmgill

One thing I realized at work is that to pull the rear plugs you're in for a real pain. Think the rear glowplugs on the 6.2 are hard? The distributor is impossible to get to. It's right at the rear of the engine way inside that cave.

BKinzey

Methinks a conspiracy is afoot!

Tivo records "Overhauled" for me but I haven't got this one yet. I got one titled for the CNN show but it was the F100 Ford show. Then I got the F100 show and it was the F100 show again!

I'm not pleased with Tivo :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks