• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad day in Oshkosh

Nonotagain

And you thought that you were having a bad day.

Airventure in Oshkosh
(WITI-TV, OSHKOSH) There was a landing mishap involving a military jet Thursday morning at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh. An F-16 with the Alabama Air National Guard landed around 11 a.m., but not on the runway.

Officials with EAA Airventure estimate the F-16 was traveling about 70 m.p.h. when it hit the grass at the end of the runway. That's when the aircraft his a low spot and went nose down -- sending grass and dirt flying everywhere.

The pilot of the F-16 is with the Alabama Air National Guard according to the guard's spokesperson. He was taken to the hospital as a precaution and has since been released.

**** Knapinski with EAA says it could have been a mechanical malfunction or pilot error. He also says no EAA visitors were ever in any danger.

The Air Force is investigating the incident. No damage estimate was available. Alabama's only F-16 unit is based in Montgomery.

Attachments

twa@ezdn.net

I flew in and camped under my wing one year, land in the middle of two other airplanes on the same runway hit my dot spot on. That place is well run but
can be very stressfull. Lot's going on all the time.

TedG

twa, I did the same thing a few years back, only they made us expedite off the runway into the grassy area to allow a B17 comming in!

Srjeeper

Lookin at the elevators in the sequence of pictures you can see when it either broke off in his hand or he just threw his hands up...rofl

At least the pilot's OK, embarrased maybe..:oops:..but OK..:beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And announcing the newest candidate for a one-way trip to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in sunny Tucson AZ!

He really should put a set of NDTs on that bird if he's gonna go offroad like that. Get much better traction in the dirt.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mmmmmmm.... a mouth full of dirt and pooped it out the tailpipe....

Just add it to our National Debt Credit Card...:neutral:

Glad the pilot is okay.

G-Force

And announcing the newest candidate for a one-way trip to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in sunny Tucson AZ!

He really should put a set of NDTs on that bird if he's gonna go offroad like that. Get much better traction in the dirt.

I'll bet you he was texting on his cell phone..............

WarrenD

From another site, it was reported that his nose gear had failed. Earlier photos show he did a very good job landing nose-high and kept it up until airspeed dropped and gravity took over.

usmctopgun

From another site, it was reported that his nose gear had failed. Earlier photos show he did a very good job landing nose-high and kept it up until airspeed dropped and gravity took over.
Looks like his nose gear held up fine til he dug it in the grass though. Even still you'd think he would have put it on the numbers and took advantage of all the hardball. Will be intersting to see what the story turns out to be. Sucks regardless

Nonotagain

I suspect that the former pilot will be riding a desk for the rest of his short ANG career.

One of the beanie hat groups http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?p=1780869 blogging from Oshkosh reported that he landed way too long on runway 36 which is posted @ 8100'.

The video posted also showed another F-16 landing before #120, he also appeared to land long, but was able to brake before the end of strip.

Iyaayas184

The plane will probably be just fine, The F-16 was the first airplane I worked on and have seen the R&R crews return alot worse to flight

CatMan

Bad day at Oshkosh

We were sitting on the flight line about mid field when he touched down in front of us yesterday. My pilot pal sitting next to me is an old USMC F-4 Phantom pilot. I commented "he looked like he landed "hot" and my pal smiled and said without looking, the guy was not going to get it stopped before he ran out of run way. Next we heard the radio tower swak "sent the crash trucks north". Sure enough.

My pilot pal had twice bailed out of jets back when so he should know. He laughed out loud and confirmed "you can't even imagine the paperwork that event just created.

Glad the pilot is OK. Wait till he gets to the O club after that little bobo.

Cat Man

I suspect that the former pilot will be riding a desk for the rest of his short ANG career.

One of the beanie hat groups Slight F16 mishap at Oshkosh - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums blogging from Oshkosh reported that he landed way too long on runway 36 which is posted @ 8100'.

The video posted also showed another F-16 landing before #120, he also appeared to land long, but was able to brake before the end of strip.
If you ain't got it wowed up in 8100', it may be time for a go around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks