• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M820 with 16.00x20 tires possible?

802dot1q

I've seen a lot of M818s with 16.00 tires. While the tandems put the tires pretty close, it seems like they work. My question is will they work on the M820? I have a source for some 16.00s and a good price and would really like the highway speed they would provide. I was recently informed that they would be too tight of a fit by a SS M820 owner. What gives? Are the M820 tandems closer than the M818? Are the M818 owners really running with 1"-2" of clearance between the tandem's tires?

I swear I saw a picture of an M820 with 16.00s on it but I can't find it.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tandem spread is the same so they will fit. Under articulation fore and aft there is a possibility they will hit the underside of the body. Do you think the 250 has the power to push that big windscreen down the road faster with the big rubber?

Sirblissfull

Sirblissful has one, check with him. He runs 14's maybe....

I run 14s same truck GE is referring to. I bought his.

I was the one that told him it was cutting it close. Its too darn hot for me to go get close up pics of how little clearance is left with the 49 inch diameter 1400s. The tread is still 90 percent on my tires.

With 1600s being 53 inches diameter I highly doubt I could slide my palm between the rears if they were new. Any kind of rough terrain would have them hitting the box.

Attachments

Last edited:

802dot1q

Thanks for the pic. I guess I was dreaming about the M820 with 16s. Bliss, what is your cruise speed on the highway with the 14s? Goldeneagle, you said 62mph but at what RPM?

Sirblissfull

63 MPH on a VERY long flat or down hill with a tail wind. Top speed I have seen on GPS is 63.

Thats always going to be 2100 rpm.

I " cruise " at 5 below the speed limit up to 60 then I am going to keep it at 58 or so. I do not care to run her close to max all day long. Being retired I am not in a hurry.

802dot1q

Excellent! I was shooting for 55. Looks like the 14's will get me where I need to be without making a lot of extra work/clearance issues. Thanks for the info Bliss!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I know that TIM of Timstrucks had 1600s on his 816, he is/ if not already changing the 1600s to 1400s because of a power issue, not to bad on flat road, but when power was needed (hills ect) another thing. Tim ran those 1600s for a few years, so he has been there .

Vintage iron

I would be concerned about vehicle height with 16.00's. How tall is your truck now? What is the legal eight limit 13' 6"? I believe that height for modern bridges. Forget about going though the hills of Connecticut, the low railroad bridges will make your M820 a convertible!

indy4x4fab

Banned
Side note, do you guys think that 16r20s on an 818 with a shorten deuce bed will have the same problems or do u think it will be fine because its so much shorter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks