• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog SEE at GSA

NEIOWA

Re: RE: Unimog SEE at GSA

emmado22 said:
The body is made by Freightliner. They are a maintaince nightmare.
No, at the time Sam started playing with Unimog was sold in the US by a tractor mfg JI Case. Was mostly a sop to our Euro "allies". You buy our stuff and we'll buy some of your's. History of Unimog

http://www.eurotech-services.com/articles/J1ince.htm

Freightliner is now the sales rep in the US for Unimog (they have common ownership, MB, Chrysler, Frieightliner, etc).

Yet complicated piece but very useful and the Unimog is very capable offroad.

Reactions: PLP

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
luapmonn said:
Check out the SEE in South Carolina listed as Freightliner tractor http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucbystate/
Man, this gives us privates (even long timers like me) a bad name. Why is the urge to "share" so overwhelming? I guess some people never had trucks they wanted to bid on and didn't want them TO BE ADVERTISED MORE THAN THEY ALREADY ARE??? :?

devilman96

RE: Re: Unimog SEE at GSA

Well private... Usually when a member here stakes a claim on a said vehicle the rest of us will bow out of the bidding process. Which with some of us is a very good thing because we tend to REALLY like green iron and would end up driving prices up amongst ourselves... With our little obsessive compulsive addiction that could get ugly on the wallet... The ones whom do not bow out will usually say so and by all means, all is fair in love and war from that point forward...

As for why it is being posted on the site Luapmonn found it interesting and wanted to share it with the rest of us... Which is the point to the whole forum!!! We only get out of this site what we put into this site which includes a LOT of GSA, Ebay and GL auction information.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: Unimog SEE at GSA

With the prices things bring anymore, it probably doesn't make a diff...
:ditto:

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: Unimog SEE at GSA

devilman96 said:
Well private... Usually when a member here stakes a claim on a said vehicle the rest of us will bow out of the bidding process.
Don't bet the retirement on that one...

devilman96 said:
The ones whom do not bow out will usually say so...
Nor that one....

devilman96 said:
...and by all means, all is fair in love and war from that point forward...
Agreed.

devilman96 said:
As for why it is being posted on the site Luapmonn found it interesting and wanted to share it with the rest of us... Which is the point to the whole forum!!! We only get out of this site what we put into this site which includes a LOT of GSA, Ebay and GL auction information.
I understand the urge, but having been on both sides of the fence, I would rather not know who is bidding against me nor do I want people announcing what there is to bid on. There's probably over 2500 people on this forum and I don't personally know but a handful of them, and I don't expect them NOT bid on something they want just because I want it. That's foolish. As you said, "..all is fair in love and war..

The problem is that it's hard enough to get a decent deal anymore. Some people don't check the sites weekly, but some do. But now, even if you are a diligent watcher, that diligence is thwarted by this type of post. I've seen lots of guys post about a truck in their local area that they are going to try to get. They don't usually tell exactly where unless they have already made a deal or have no intention of getting it.

Share it with us after you own it.... We'll congratulate you. That's my motto.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Re: Unimog SEE at GSA

cucvfan, i beleave you are wrong, the first post was just a general interest post, there may be some members here who would like to bid on something like that and not know its even up for bid. thats how i got the xm977, someone posted a general post about this neet truck on ebay, i didnt even know it was there, anyone here could have gotten it, more power to them, if some one wants something, thay know what thay are willing to pay know matter what, sometimes we work together, other times a bunch will want the same thing amd go for it, thats just part of life and owning a mv, there are only so many parts and things out there

reblawyer

RE: Re: RE: Re: Unimog SEE at GSA

I was a Combat Engineer during my time with the USAR and will tell you these little puppies look pretty cool but they have too much crap on them to be of much good, they are too light also. They would pass a deuce on the highway but that bucket on front's not good for pushing much more than air and the hoe on back is very useful, if you don't mind moving dirt 5 gallons at a time. I hear that they didn't handle live fire very well either. Oh yeah, they are great for rolling over, luckily for us there was usually a deuce around to bring them back up right. Just my thoughts, sure would turn a lot of heads.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a free country...and people can continue to post to this and other lists every auction they hear of or see. However, what people don't understand readily is that this serves ONLY to raise the prices by bringing more interested buyers to the auction. It never ceases to amaze me why people feel the need to "alert" everyone else about cool trucks that they see, but can't afford or are too far away or some other reason. I wonder if these same people would post links to auctions that they were going to bid on! Personally, I was not bidding on this item, but it appears as if Jeff at Tactical Truck was and this post MAY have cost him the vehicle. While on the other mil-veh list, I once emailed a guy about posting trucks on GSA.

I KNOW that this post was not made with malicious intent and I am not trying to "flame" anyone.

Bruce

Olney, MD
--------

1991 M149A2
1990 M105A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, I've never seen a SEE in your collection of top shelf vehicles. Could there be one in the future?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't foresee that. It is not that I am not interested in the truck...I just have too many projects going on at once.

Bruce

Olney, MD
--------

1991 M149A2
1990 M105A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

NEIOWA

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Unimog SEE at GSA

reblawyer said:
I was a Combat Engineer during my time with the USAR and will tell you these little puppies look pretty cool but they have too much crap on them to be of much good, they are too light also. They would pass a deuce on the highway but that bucket on front's not good for pushing much more than air and the hoe on back is very useful, if you don't mind moving dirt 5 gallons at a time. I hear that they didn't handle live fire very well either. Oh yeah, they are great for rolling over, luckily for us there was usually a deuce around to bring them back up right. Just my thoughts, sure would turn a lot of heads.
I was once upon a time a HMMWV TOW Pl and Co Cdr. Our engineer direct support was SEE or wheel loader. Typical operator (active or reserve/guard) didn't know much about operating the equipment or what to do with it. On the rare occasion when an NCO will show up with the operator they sometimes were useful in tell/showing the oper how/what to do in digging a vehicle (or individual) fighting/firing position or hide. Just not sufficient training. Unit has to lead them around by the hand and show exactly what to do where to do it and what to do with the spoil.

And that little hoe does beat the heck out of the D handle shovel in preparing a vehicle position. Bucket then move the spoil away from the position (about as useful as a skidsteer bucket for digging ie not at all). Actually a big skid steer with 35mph road speed and a trailer load of implements would be as good or better than the SEE. Sam has recently been buying a tracked unit of some type to do such (don't know about extra tools such as the backhoe though).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks