• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Article on Military Vehicle Licensing Requirements

dittle

Thought I would share an article that went out about changes to military vehicle licensing changes. Basically all military non-tactical vehicles are now required to have license plates. Guess there are enough privately owned ex-military vehicles out there now that they want to make sure which are PO and which are mil.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your privately owned ex MV is legally registered, insured, and tagged (if needed, you lucky Texans), there is nothing to worry about when you operate it on base.

Motorcar

What a frightening cartoon...gone is the buxom long haired beauty of our old Deuce manuals, replaced by the perfect blend of all races that is male or female named "Pat"....I remember an old SNL gag that ran on that for a while....sorry dude, didn't mean to hijack the thread, good info you posted.

dittle

If your privately owned ex MV is legally registered, insured, and tagged (if needed, you lucky Texans), there is nothing to worry about when you operate it on base.
Wasn't meant as a scare tactic, more information if anything about changes done to military vehicles.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Dont all MV's that arent tactical already have tags? Every one I have seen has had them in the last bunch of years. Every Ford Van , Blue Bird Bus , Freightliner semi , Chevy Silverado, and all the others I have driven has had US Gov tags.

HMMWV's ,M35A2-3's , 5 tons , M915-920 , etc ., etc. are tactical vehicles for some that might not know. So im not sure what the point of the article is ?

rpollitt01

Just got mine insured and ready to pick up in the morning. I live in Ohio and I have to take the highway for 10-15 miles, Do I nees a slow moving vehicle sign? I t has been sitting for a while and I dont want to hammer on it untill I feel it out....Any suggestions?

dittle

Dont all MV's that arent tactical already have tags? Every one I have seen has had them in the last bunch of years. Every Ford Van , Blue Bird Bus , Freightliner semi , Chevy Silverado, and all the others I have driven has had US Gov tags.

HMMWV's ,M35A2-3's , 5 tons , M915-920 , etc ., etc. are tactical vehicles for some that might not know. So im not sure what the point of the article is ?
Until recently vehicles that I've seen didn't always have plates. GSA vehicles did (the F-series trucks, Chevys, etc) but CUCVs did not. Also am seeing semi trailers being issued these plates. From what the article also states is that the plates are changing which now will include expiration dates like a normal civi plate.

This shouldn't affect privately owned vehicles. Like I said previously, more of a informational piece than anything.

dittle

Just got mine insured and ready to pick up in the morning. I live in Ohio and I have to take the highway for 10-15 miles, Do I nees a slow moving vehicle sign? I t has been sitting for a while and I dont want to hammer on it untill I feel it out....Any suggestions?
I would just get a chase vehicle with flashers. If you can't do that then flashers on the truck and watch the traffic coming up behind you. I don't think a SMV sign is necessary.

vtwinpilot

Is this the reason certain state's have been passing restrictions to fall in line with federal wishes? Claiming it is for eliminating confusion with police and mv vehicles is very disconcerting. So when is the all out ban on former police cruiser's coming? I realize it's for current gov. vehicles but it sure drops in line with all the property theft restrictions getting shoved up the pipe these days.

135gmc

My plates were always on the vehicle, but then again, my newest was a 1952 GMC. It was kinds hard to look like it was a current vehicle when it was about 2 generations older than current.

firefirefire90

not planning on putting the plates on my CUCV, but at Miramar, the CUCV's that stay on base that I've seen all have govt. plates... but they're the never expiring ones. I don't see a reason for the plates to expire... seems like another useless expense that our country doesn't need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks