• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few Pics from the DMZ

TacticalTruck

RE: Cooooool

It must be a better tow/lift bar than the HEMTT's. I watched a Guard guy tow a Humvee w/ a HEMTT and he had to remove the brush guard to hook up.
Jeff

dannymoz71

No, much rather have a HEMTT wrecker. They are much more user friendly, more versitile, more powerful, and half the price as the LMTV wrecker. I've never had to remover the brush gurard to tow with the HEMTT's Ive had over the years. To be honest I think the old M816 I had last time in Korea was a more versitile truck. But the LMTV gats the job done, just not as well as it should for $350,000.

rmgill

Check is location. He's at the Joint Security Area on the DMZ in Korea. Google that. It's an interesting place where people get killed for cutting tree limbs.

RE the FMTV's their problem is they're built to be Air Portable. The Army is still wed to this idea of being able to move divisions with C130s. They wanted a C130 portable truck and in the case of the LMTV a parachute capable 2.5 ton truck. That means a lot of things that make deuces stout for their size but also heavy undesirable so a lot of weight was shaved from the FMTV family of trucks. That adds cost, lots.

The kicker is that aside from the 101st and 82nd being speed-bumps, the Air Portable function is just a pipe dream. RO-RO from ship is the highly likely form and usually it's on a port rather than at a beach.

dannymoz71

BKinzey said:
Thanks for the pics.

Are those UN flags? Sorry to be stooopid but where are you?
Yes they are UN flags. As said I am part of the United Nations Command Security Battalion - Joint Security Area on the DMZ in Korea. Weird place to be now a days, as it was turned over to the ROK Army and is actually their base now and mostly ROK soldiers here. Only a handful of US Soldiers here. I'll post some pics of their vehicle here soon. They still use the older deuces and 5 tons. Not sure what models they are, as I havent looked very close at them yet, but the exhaust comes out by the rear tires.

dannymoz71

maddawg308 said:
Sorry, just my two cents about the UN.
We dont really have anything to do with the UN, just the name of the battalion. We just secure the DMZ and inforce the Armastice agreement. The flags are on the trucks for when we go inside the DMZ, guess its so the KPA knows who we are and dont think they are being invaded. They flipped our LTC off a couple weeks ago, thought that was pretty funny.

JDToumanian

If I were in Korea, I think I'd be nervously watching which way the wind was blowing at all times... I know they say that underground nuclear tests release very little radiation, but I wouldn't trust that little twerp to the north!

Take care over there...

Regards,
Jon

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rmgill said:
RE the FMTV's their problem is they're built to be Air Portable. The Army is still wed to this idea of being able to move divisions with C130s. They wanted a C130 portable truck and in the case of the LMTV a parachute capable 2.5 ton truck. That means a lot of things that make deuces stout for their size but also heavy undesirable so a lot of weight was shaved from the FMTV family of trucks. That adds cost, lots.
The M35 is actually a lot lighter than the replacement 2-axle M1078A1.
The FMTV M1078A1 has a curb weight of 17,589 lb vs the M35 with its 12,465 lb.
My XM757 8x8 weighs less than the "new deuce".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The topic has been split, you guys can carry on your discussion ref airborne in the Airborne dispute thread in Conversations.

rmgill

cranetruck said:
rmgill said:
The M35 is actually a lot lighter than the replacement 2-axle M1078A1.
The FMTV M1078A1 has a curb weight of 17,589 lb vs the M35 with its 12,465 lb.
My XM757 8x8 weighs less than the "new deuce".

I saw that. Odd, it's "more portable" in an airborne role, but heavier and with fewer axles and tires. They do seem to be having issues with maintaining the fleet's reliability and I've tried to be positive about the design, but I just keep seeing bad comments about it from the users. The need to up-armor them does more or less hamstring the 2.5 ton model though. I like the idea of a cab over design for shorter wheelbase, but that presents survivability issues. Even back during the 80s I was reading literature about how US trucks (M44s and the like) were less dangerous to the crews since they weren't sitting directly over the wheels if the truck were to run over a mine. Not the case now.

It does look like S&S isn't quite up to the task that REO/AM General/Kaiser Jeep was and that Oshkosh Truck is up to today. Though, I suspect some of the issues are the design requirements first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks