• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Telephone Set TA-43/PT

Boatcarpenter

Does anyone have an instruction manual for these phones. I would like to know what the 3 position switch next to the volume control selects. It is turned by using a screwdriver.
Thanks,
Boatcarpenter

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have any markings like LB or CB? I have manuals on the TA1/PT and the TA/838-TT but not the 43.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if the phone is powered by the phone system it is hooked up to. Then you dont need the 2 D cells.. I've never see them used that way though..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB is common battery, LB is local battery. Forget the other one. Tha 43 can receive residential calls but can't plave them unless you find the add on keypad. The TA838/TT however does everything on regular phone lines.

dsk

Pretty old thread, but worth to wake up.
T-43/TP and TA-312/TP has equal qualities in hence of plain telephony. In CB mode The phone acts as a regular telephone, no batteries needed, and the range of operation is about like a normal telephone, e.g. 14 miles on a twisted pair of common or field telephone wire. Putting in a pair of batteries, and using it in CBS mode extends the distance of clear voice transmission with several miles. (still connected to a regular telephone line)
In LB mode, it acts as a regular field telephone, point to point, or phone to a manual switchboard as SB22. Now the it may connect to telephones more than 20 miles away.
The thicker copper wires, and the more it is twisted the better. (within reasonable sizes).

If we look back in time, it was used fence wire, as the one and only wire, and ground as the other, this solution worked well for at least 10 miles in areas where it was no other electric current traveling trough the ground.

dsk

papakb

Here's another place you can download the manual for free: http://radionerds.com/index.php/TA-43~PT

Kurt

Last edited:

Wile E. Coyote

Mike Murphy has the add-on tone adapters for them, but if you're clever, you can dial out using the hookswitch :) Takes a bit of practice. They sound quite nice hooked up to residential POTS lines. The only difference between the 43 and the 312 is the extra panel-mounted connector for hookup of some external audio apparatus (which I think was a PTT headset like the ones used with the SB-22* switchboards) though I've never seen that used.

Bulletproof phones for the most part - just the first thing you do when shopping for one is look in the D-cell compartment to see if some moron's left some old cardboard Ray-o-Vacs in there for 30 yrs. The second thing is check out the coil cord, as lots are pretty rotted.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually have a 312 that the tone adapter will NOT fit. But it is a remanufactured 43 with a different placement of the secondary audio plug - a somewhat rare intermediate design that does NOT fit in the canvas bags that they are generally found with. It is slated to be donated to the U.S. Army Signal Museum at Ft. Gordon, GA.

dsk

Interesting, do you have pictures?

We used the SB22 here when I served, but did never need the DTMF since the "new" exchange was rotary only. (That was put in service in 1983 but used another place before) Until then it was manual in the fortress.

Then when I quit they put in 2 billions (NOK) and then closed it down! :-(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks