• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M911 Repower posibility??

NSCoyote

well things are moving forward slowly on my plans with respect to M911 aquisition , and havign looked up some of the specs on the M911, i was wondering if any of you guys have any knowladge on the possibility of re-power it from an 8v92 to a new cummins isx, my local cummins rep can get me a heck fo a good deal on the isx engine rated for 600hp *im also in the aquisition process of at least 1 m920 thats gonna get the same re-power so the rep is giving me a dea lfor multi engine purchase* but i figure that the ISX can get more hp to the ground more effeciantly then the older 8v92 which would mean better MPG in the long run. obviously mounting would have to be modified but i guess what i am lookign for is wether anyone has done a simaler swap that might share some insight.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a guy here that repowered his truck with an ISX. I forget his screen name...Sonny? I think he's out of Co. Hauls old railroad cars and engines for a museum out there.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Might help if we know more of the intended use for the trucks? The M911 is a nice truck when done right but is also a very expensive truck to get your hands on to begin with.

NSCoyote

Might help if we know more of the intended use for the trucks? The M911 is a nice truck when done right but is also a very expensive truck to get your hands on to begin with.
2 m920's and 1 m911 are being sourced and aquired over the following months for heavy haulage in adverse road conditions by me and my business partners for a new commercial venture.

i am familer with the Soni's m920 and the 2 we are aquiring will be built with similer specs and additions *simaler power train, simaler use of S250 shelter as sleeper berth. my question was more to determien the feasability to swap the 8v92 that the M911 has to the more modern cummins ISX for an increase in HP as well as the possibilty of improving MPG with heavy duty use

kennys@wi.rr.com

There is plenty of room to fit the ISX motor or just about any other motor you desire in there. The hard part, that's really not that hard, will be the fab work to make mounts strong enough to handle the conditions you are looking at. Just keep in mind these trucks were never made for any kind of creature comfort in mind, strike that, no comfort of any kind in mind. It makes me wonder if with the price tag of the M911 starting at $25K and up from there if you wouldn't be better off starting with a more suitable base truck and building that up from there? But do as you wish with your time and money. Just make sure to post plenty of pics and the details as you go through the process.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I assume speed is not an issue....just pulling power.

The 911 is geared very low.....the only advantage you will have with the Cummins may be fuel economy....the V-8 Driptriot wil suck the bottom out of a fuel tank.

Even with the Detroit in them they will pull He!!'s half-acre if you can get it on a trailer.

NSCoyote

There is plenty of room to fit the ISX motor or just about any other motor you desire in there. The hard part, that's really not that hard, will be the fab work to make mounts strong enough to handle the conditions you are looking at. Just keep in mind these trucks were never made for any kind of creature comfort in mind, strike that, no comfort of any kind in mind. It makes me wonder if with the price tag of the M911 starting at $25K and up from there if you wouldn't be better off starting with a more suitable base truck and building that up from there? But do as you wish with your time and money. Just make sure to post plenty of pics and the details as you go through the process.
im not to concerned with fab work as all three of us (me and my partners are all expierienced fabricators myself having majority of it in heavy duty. we arnt looking for super comfortable truck but one that can be used to haul heavy loads in places that typical OTR trucks cant get too or be operated in, as for comfort besides swapping the seat to an air ride, making sure the cabs got good insulation and heat/defrost, only comfort needed is a CB and cup holder/ coffee pot holder ;)

I assume speed is not an issue....just pulling power.

The 911 is geared very low.....the only advantage you will have with the Cummins may be fuel economy....the V-8 Driptriot wil suck the bottom out of a fuel tank.

Even with the Detroit in them they will pull He!!'s half-acre if you can get it on a trailer.
ya speed is definly not going to be the issue with this rig, typical operating terrain limits speeds with even half recomended capacity to 10-20mph. the swap i dea to upgrade to the cummins is more for MPG increase. the ISX 15 600hp is rated 5.5mpg at severe duty with the truck being only about 8K lbs over the m920 i figure with a typical estimated load of 145k lbs averageing around 25 mph in ideal conditions i can probebly get close to 3.5-4.5mpg Hopefully

kennys@wi.rr.com

If you are planning on using the M911 on some of those back woods snow and ice roads in the Great White North one more consideration is turning radius. the M911 needs a few back 40's to get turned so please keep that in mind also. Not trying to be a downer, just making sure that one of these pieces of history isn't cut up after it's determined it won't work for the newly intended purpose.

NSCoyote

If you are planning on using the M911 on some of those back woods snow and ice roads in the Great White North one more consideration is turning radius. the M911 needs a few back 40's to get turned so please keep that in mind also. Not trying to be a downer, just making sure that one of these pieces of history isn't cut up after it's determined it won't work for the newly intended purpose.
no worries there i understand the TR of the M911 is around 40' while i do not forsee it as being an issue, most of the roads we will be running it on are private leaseholds and should a bit of room need to be made for turn around it can be made quickly. as i said i dont see it as beign a problem. and we have no intention of cuttign any trucks up maybe modifying for purpose but defintly not cutting LOL

R Racing

As a different point of view thought. while the m911 is awesome. If you ever needed any body parts or unique drive train parts you could be up the creek with out a paddle. on the other hand the m920 parts can be had from a m915,m916,m917,m918,and m919 as well as other m920's . except for the trans the cummins engine uses common over the road parts . and I have seen good spare cat 7155's available as well. just food for thought.

NSCoyote

As a different point of view thought. while the m911 is awesome. If you ever needed any body parts or unique drive train parts you could be up the creek with out a paddle. on the other hand the m920 parts can be had from a m915,m916,m917,m918,and m919 as well as other m920's . except for the trans the cummins engine uses common over the road parts . and I have seen good spare cat 7155's available as well. just food for thought.
yes i have thought of that, while the M920 is defintly easier to source parts for and more adaptable to civvilian life, it is limited in GCVW at around 120K whereas the M911 is in the 190K range. the aquisition of 2 m920's was part of the plan but having an M911 on hand is also somethign we feel benificial

area52

Soni (M920 on here) is pretty busy this time of year so he wont be on here for a while til business slows down in the fall. He has done a great job on his M920. Not sure how long or how much it cost him though.

good luck on the venture.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks