• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sandblaster reccomendation

Chief_919

I just picked up a nice military trailer mounted, diesel powered compressor. Specs say 15cfm at 175psi, but the same comepressor in civilian service is often sold as a 20cfm, so it may do better than 15.

Of course that means I need a sandblaster!

What do you guys like? I need to keep it $600 or less, hopefully less, as this is a hobby tool.

I have seen some now with a vacum in them that sucks the media back up and recycles it. Has anyone used them, and do they work worth a darn?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, those are based on siphon feed system. You want a pressure pot system. I got a Clemco and love it. Still needs a little work, but works great just the same.

CGarbee

If you can hold off until you come to Raleigh, I'll show you both of my sandblasters and will tell you the pros and cons of each and why I invested the way I did... :)

One is a blast cabinet, the other is a pressure pot. Neither was very expensive...

My gas powered Ingersoll-Rand unit came surplus from a local contractor rental outfit, but is the same compressor head that is on a lot of military units. It is spec'ed at 15cfm at 125psi, but is 25cfm at 100psi... (I think, I'd really have to go look at the dataplate to be really sure). The lower the pressure, the more air it puts out...

If you don't have one yet, one of the Harbor Freight 1" extended anvil impact guns is a wonderful thing to have as well... Even better is the I-R unit, but they are way more expensive... :)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Northern tool has nice quality ones reasonable (right around 5-600). Get the ones with a convex top so you don't have to use a funnel to fill.

Chief_919

That sounds great. I won't be picking up the compressor until next week, so no hurry to buy the blaster yet.

Here are some pics of the compressor.

Attachments

yd328

I have a Brut blaster, it works great. I have tried some "inexpensive" ones only to have problems. With the Brut I just blast away.

Gary

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks