• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought my First Welder

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturday I went to an auction at the local Votech Center. I didn't really intend on buying anything but the wife had given me a liberty-pass from the honey-do list so I said what the heck.

I ended up with a few items as most of it went really cheap.

So I spotted a little 110v welder and the price was right. $100 with the cart.

It's a Lincoln SP-100 Mig with CO2/Argon gas. Not a big unit but something to perfect my welding skills (non-existant...lol) and will work on body panels.

Also with all the MV work I have done, I have needed to transfer fuel from one fuel tank to another. They had a brand new Handy Gas Caddy. The paint wasn't even scratched.

HMC Industries, Inc. - Home

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Those welders are very nice for body work and very small jobs. Spend a little time with it and you will be welding like a pro. Very nice find.

See if you can get your hands on a little tub of the anti spatter to dip the nozzle in once in a while to keep debris off the tip.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the first metals were processed from the earth, man has had the desire to weld. Enjoy it!

A

A/C Cages

Want to save money but still have a better welder? Try Thermadyne
I have all brands and its the only one which runs better, costs less, and fewer breaks. My welders are running at my shop 18 to 20 hours a day too.

Keith_J

You got a cylinder of C25 with it too? You might have to go through their gas supplier. Not a real issue, they probably got package deals.

They are easy to learn and great for auto body, just keep the welds short. As in spot short, then let the metal cool or quench with damp towel. Either ER70 S6 or an easy grind variety in 0.023-0.030" diameter, they have good ductility and blend well with 80 grit flap wheel. Knock down the high spots with a solid wheel to within a hair, then blend with the flap.

I'm stuck on TIG but it requires exact fitting on body panels. And the learning curve is steep.

tlessin86

Just and FYI (sell welders as part of our business). It is a very good welder just that parts are getting hard to find for them. Otherwise good find if nothing else the tank is well worth it.

big block 88

$100 is a hella deal for sure. Nice find, don;t waste your time with flux core go to a straight mild steel wire .024 will be perfect, and a good C25 tank will get the job done. It will be much eaiser for you to learn with out having to look through a big puddle of slag and flux it will be amuch cleaner all around weld no doubt.

Look into uping your duty cycle I would assume it is around 30% at 100 amps, I use all millers at work and in my personal shop but I would assume the Lincoln log welders can be turned up a bit to improve performance

Theres alot of welders on here if you need any help post it up or send me a PM I will help where I can.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got a cylinder of C25 with it too?
No bottle, regulator or hose. :(

I have a couple of helium and oxygen bottles that I don't use any more so I may trade them in.

I have to finish a bunch of honey-dos before I can start playing with it. I did power it on and it was spooling the wire out with the trigger puller. I didn't strike an arc.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a stick welder and a Lincoln Mig welder.....the Mig is great for quick light work and can weld thicker stuff if you run it hot and make multiple passes.

I can also gas weld (using oxy-actylene) but don't use that skill very much.

You did good on that score.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have a few extraconversion kits to use gas with that welder. I'll try to look for one in the next couple days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks