• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How NOT to use jumper cables

idM1028

While working in the garage I decided to swap around the alternators in my M1028A1 around as I suspected that one, although I had taken it out and it tested fine, had a faulty voltage regulator. All went according to plan until I noticed that the terminal on the red wire for the alternator was too small for the post (I know why this, I did it, and my reasons for doing so are too long and besides the point) What to do, what to do. . . I had a small section of heavy gauge wire, that no doubt would have been up to the task, but I would have needed to strip the ends and I'm not sure I would've gotten a good connection. Then it occurred to me: I had a set of jumper cables that had been split in two and which I keep for occasions just like this. They would be much quicker to put on, would be able to handle the load and would likely provide a better connection. Brilliant! Or so I thought. . . The smoking from the engine bay, the smell of burnt wiring, and what appeared to be a small fire indicated I had much bigger worries than a potentially faulty voltage regulator. Turns out the clamp on the alt wire had grounded out to a steel line from the brake fluid reservoir. I was quick to disconnect everything (to include the batteries; one of the smart decisions I had made: putting the batteries clamps on loosely rather than tightening them down) Also while patching up all the burnt up insulation on the wiring (fusible links= :roll:) I found a major wire (that happens to run to the suspected faulty alternator) had burnt through but the insulation was intact. Not sure if it had burned up before or after this incident, but I suspect before so at least some good came out of it.

idM1028

Brake line seems to be fine. Looks like it just singed the surface a little. Sorry armytruck, not much to take pictures of other than burnt up wiring and the ensuing electrical tape. If you've seen one CUCV you've seen that already and I'm sure as **** not recreating the incident. If I do take pictures its gonna be of the alt and the wire disconnected with arrows and "DO NOT ATTACH JUMPER CABLE HERE!"

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any arcing on a brake line most likely cause a pit or at least surface deformation. It will now have a weak spot. It most likely will corrode there also. I would seriously consider replacing the brake line now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks