• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 in residential neighborhood - Huntsville, AL

PalmerBS

So as advertised, i had 2 of my trucks, a M35A2 and a 109 van truck parked in my driveway for roughly a year. Tucked away so you could hardly see them (if you can believe that). Then one day i get a note saying the city would take them if i didn't move them etc. Got a call saying (somehow after a whole year) that some of the neighbors were calling to complain. BS.

Anyways, is this kinda par for the course??? Is there any way around this??? I had to move the big fellas out to the country because of this.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wasn't there a thread a year or so ago in Huntsville about this? I seem to remember that they had some specific code in that city that affected deuces.

monkeythumbs

There's a few members in Huntsville, can't think of their names, PM them incase they don't wander into this thread. Maybe they've had similar experiences with code violations, just a thought.

PalmerBS

Thanks for all the replies, i'm gonna start doing some research on HSV in particular, and try to get a hold of some of the HSV guys on the board here.

Makes me wonder how they'd feel about a bobber???

phil2968

I had the same thing here in Polk county Florida. My M109 never got noticed. When I picked up two more M35s and did not plan for storage they wound up in my driveway. The county sent me a letter saying no commercial (3 axles on the road) vehicles parked in a residential area. I had to find another parking place for them. I might be able to bring one back without causing a problem.
Polk county does not allow 3 axle vehicles to be parked in residential neighborhoods. They only allow 1 three axle vehicle per 5 acres in rural residential areas. I think most counties and cities have the same restrictions. I do not agree with Polks broad brush interpretation of three axle vehicles. The state of Florida says they are Former Military Vehicles and they a registered as such. I don't see how the county can override the state but I have not decided to fight that battle yet.
My brother and I will just have to rent a commercial shop/warehouse to work out of. We both have three trucks and lots of projects to do on each.
Just my thoughts and experiences on the situation.

PalmerBS

And one big question I have, is if I were to bob one, or get a bobbed deuce, would THAT be legal to have in the city like that??

Certainly the weight is greatly reduced, as is the axle count. Wonder how the weight compares between a 6x6 and bobber?? Anyone know? I'm sure the info is out there.

Flyingvan911

They may still object even if it is bobbed, it is still a big truck. Try to find out what the weight/size restrictions are. Call the code enforcement and just ask what the restrictions are for parking a truck in a driveway or street in a residential area.

197thhhc

With a bobbed deuce the weight is down to about 10,500 lbs. Sometimes this is enough to make a difference on residential zoning laws. I would definately find out which ordinance you supposedly violated.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a bobbed deuce the weight is down to about 10,500 lbs. Sometimes this is enough to make a difference on residential zoning laws. I would definately find out which ordinance you supposedly violated.
But the thing is that the bobbed deuce has more weight per tire then the regular deuce.
10,500/4=2625 per tire.
10,500/6=1750 per tire
Regular Deuce 13,030/10=1303 per tire.
If i were the city, I would want more tires on the ground, not less. :mrgreen: :jumpin:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THEY SAID THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE YOUR TRUCKS...............?

N.F.W > I would call the number on the notice and ask to see the ordinance and or LAW concerning any supposed VIOLATION. This S//T is why I live on an Island. If the person who sent you the note can not come up with any ordinance or law or bylaw from a HOA. Personally I would have them served for causing you stress,bring back your trucks and park them out in front.

Thats my 2 cents on the matter.

PalmerBS

Here is some of it.....

73.14. - Residential parking modifications.

For the purpose of this section, parking means the keeping on a residential lot of a vehicle regularly used or owned by a member of the residential household. A motorized vehicle that does not have a current license registration or tag is deemed to be stored only and shall not be parked in a residential yard. The following provisions of this section shall not apply to passenger automobiles or passenger vans or pickup trucks.
73.14.1 The parking of a truck, bus, or commercial vehicle greater than three-quarter ton or 9,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) shall not be permitted on any residential lot, except that a truck, bus, or commercial vehicle not greater than 1½ tons or 16,000 pounds GVWR may be parked in a fully enclosed accessory structure on a residential lot. This provision includes bus conversions.
73.14.2 Refrigeration units and generators attached to vehicles shall not be operated while such vehicles are parked on a residential lot.
73.14.3 All motorized vehicles shall be parked off-street, not within nor overhanging any right-of-way, and shall not obstruct vision with respect to traffic entering or exiting any adjoining or nearby driveway or street, nor obstruct any pedestrian walkway.
73.14.4 The occupancy of any motor home, camping trailer, or similar vehicle designed or intended for occupancy is prohibited while such vehicle is parked on a residential lot.
73.14.5 All vehicles that fail to comply with section 73.14.1 shall be removed by the owner or person responsible for same within 90 days after the effective date of this ordinance, and thereafter it shall be unlawful to maintain such vehicles on a residential lot except in conformity with this ordinance.
73.14.6 No variances from section 73.14 shall be permitted.​

PalmerBS

I think this is the main thing though....

For the purpose of this section, parking means the keeping on a residential lot of a vehicle regularly used or owned by a member of the residential household. A motorized vehicle that does not have a current license registration or tag is deemed to be stored only and shall not be parked in a residential yard. The following provisions of this section shall not apply to passenger automobiles or passenger vans or pickup trucks.
73.14.1 The parking of a truck, bus, or commercial vehicle greater than three-quarter ton or 9,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) shall not be permitted on any residential lot, except that a truck, bus, or commercial vehicle not greater than 1½ tons or 16,000 pounds GVWR may be parked in a fully enclosed accessory structure on a residential lot. This provision includes bus conversions.
73.14.5 All vehicles that fail to comply with section 73.14.1 shall be removed by the owner or person responsible for same within 90 days after the effective date of this ordinance, and thereafter it shall be unlawful to maintain such vehicles on a residential lot except in conformity with this ordinance.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PalmerBS ,

I would challange that, "NOTHING BIGGER THAN A 3/4 ton"...? when was that written.

So a 1 ton standard pick up truck can not be parked in your neighborhood..?

Looks like it's time for the next city council meeting to discuss. 2cents

Darwin T

see if you can park a rv in the driveway and if you can convert your M109 to and rv and register it as a rv, thats what i am going to do. if not buy you an M1008, M1009, M1010 or M1028 and park it in your driveway, thats what i am doing now.

Heath_h49008

PalmerBS ,

I would challange that, "NOTHING BIGGER THAN A 3/4 ton"...? when was that written.

So a 1 ton standard pick up truck can not be parked in your neighborhood..?

Looks like it's time for the next city council meeting to discuss. 2cents
Yep... find every 1ton Superduty 4x4 (10,000lbs each) in the city and start taking pictures for the "selective enforcement" lawsuit you plan on filing.... after the code officer cleans his shorts at the prospect of what that would mean, tell us what he says.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks