• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M66 ring and actual useage question

CanonNinja

Just picked up an M66 ring setup from another member here, waiting to put it all on the M35A3 I have coming in this week. I have a Mk23 pintle mount for a semi-auto M2HB we have at my shop, but I'm thinking this isnt going to be good to actually use, even with the cab reinforcement. Does anyone actually use their ring setups to shoot from, and if so what gun mount is being used? I have a legitimate line on a Mk93 soft mount, but I want to make sure I actually need it to save the truck and cab before spending almost half of what the gun cost me.

midcounty

As far as I know the M66 was made for that set up, and ofcourse they were full auto and mounted on Deuces as well as 5 tons with the same cabs. Why would you think it wouldn't work? I do know the 909 series truck cabs are not approved for use with the M66 mount. I am guessing the cabs are not as strong as the 809 series cabs.

CanonNinja

I know it will work, but even with the cab reinforcement plates I dont want to actively take part in tweaking/ruining the cab. I dont really know anyone that uses their truck with a real Browning, and I dont want to trash my truck if there is a better way of doing things.

midcounty

I can say a friend of mine bought a M813A1 that had signs of a previous ring mount, including a couple 50 bmg cases floating around the cab. His truck didn't have the reinforcement plate, and his cab shows no sign of stress. I would be curious to hear from someone who has run a F/A Mah Deuce for a time on one. I have a ring mount and plate to install on one of my trucks. It may see a 50 some day, but for the time being it will be a F/A 1919A4 I have converted to 8mm mauser. I just have to get off my butt and mount it all up.

JAYHAWK 1962

The m-66 mount was approved for this vehicle. Not that it wont tear the cab up. I wonder if you coulld extend the reaI have seen a couple of trucks with pedestal mounts placed in the bed. I would think it would be extremely easy to reinforce the area between mount and bed with some steel plate. This seems pretty secure. Have seen a twin .30 bm done this way. I know there is a big difference between .30 and .50 but when firing the twin .30 there was no major problems with vibration or movement.
i also wonder if you could extend the legs to where the would reach the frame at least on the back and that might add some more stability tho the system. front might be tough eith the fender in the way. i would think there are at least a few on this site that have fired a .50 from a m35.

flyxpl

The ring mount and ring without the gun will cause stress just with everyday driving . If you can afford to put enough ammo through an M2HB to stress out your cab then you have nothing to worry about .I can see the door jamb gusset on my A3 flex as I drive down the road with the M66 ring on top . If you are worried about your cab don't put on the ring . I shoot an M2 off of mine ,but not very often . Getting to old to put all that heavy stuff up on the ring .

wehring

Go light weight

I have put rings on several vehicles and I shoot off of them often. I am 30 min South of you so come down and visit about rings.

My.02 worth. Put an LWS on your M35A3 (I have one for sale) and save a lot of weight. The M901 set up I have on my Lexus is 135# w/o the gun and I have shot thousands of rounds off of it. The soft mount is a plus. I had a similar M901 setup on a Land Cruiser with my M249. No soft mount required. I just picked up a minigun and it too will go on my Lexus.

Save wt on the mount that is ALWAYS beating on the truck because of its weight. A semi auto M2 will not beat on a cab as badly. The energy generated from a single shot M2 is mostly absorbed by the weight of the gun so the cab will not take a hit.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

wehring

Lws

Lightweight Weapon Station (LWS) it is the ring mount found on HMMWVs and M939 trucks. It is alloy instead of steel.

Jusrtin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

CanonNinja

I assume that it mounts to a 939 similar to the M66 and 2.5 tons? I guess its a good thing I have an extra pole mount for the driver's door

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks