• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Has anyone changed their air horn to one that has a little bit deeper sound to it? I don't like how high pitch the stock horn is. I did some searching but most of the threads were of people put on the huge train horns that will blow out your ear drums, and that's not what I'm looking for.

I have a set of Hadleys that will go on my truck when I get the motivation. The larger diaphram and longer horn tubes will make them lower. Have you tried adjusting your horns on the truck? There should be a screw on the back of the diaphram that you can turn in/out to raise/lower the tone.

asgtoolman

I agree with gimpyrobb, try adjusting the sound with the screw on the back. I actually took mine apart, cleaned them completely, sprayed some WD-40 on the diaphram, reassembled them and "played" with the adjustment until I got the sound I wanted.

Capt.Marion

If you search for "horn" and "deuce horn" and the like, you'll find a couple of decent threads about upgrading from the M-series air horns.

Don't use the built in search feature, go to google.com and type the following:

'searchquery site:steelsoldiers.com' where 'searchquery' is what you're searching for. It works a lot better than the site's built-in search function.

Vintage iron

Thank you Capt. Marion for the constructive way of advise other members on searching Steel soldiers archives. Nothing worse that seeing the same guys saying the same thing about "use your search feature" I think I will give that a try! Cool

Stan Leschert

I put in a train horn, donated off an old CN engine,
run off of the Aux Air spigot in the cab.

The Pipe band demanded that I not blow it if they are marching in front of us
.... that would be most parades.

But when else do we take the old girl out?

GTO Tiger

I also don't like the high pitched sound on my son's M51. It is ear piercing load though! Didn't know about the adjustment. Will have to look into that.

A 23000lb vehicle shouldn't sound like a little foreign car! :evil:

Check out this thread I made about the horn I built : http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...66181-installed-grover-products-air-horn.html

The Grover air horns are very easy to find in salvage yards and on e-pay. I paid $20 for mine. You will find that the volume is about the same but the tone is much more fitting for a truck of it's size. I made mine as a seperate system from my stock horn but you could run a line right off of your electric horn valve.
Hope this helps, good luck!
-GM

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I thought about one of those loud train horns. But I figured I would have some old person cut me off and I use it and gives them a heart attack and they go off the road. Or going through the woods and blow it at a moose and then we got a standoff.

dmetalmiki

HA! noise?

well ..when I approach an intersection..(or just when I feel like it) I "TOOT" these...(CARSON police kit/welan police kit..) WOLO Noo York fire truck horns, RHINE tug boat horns... 18"truck horns..Oh..and the orriginal M54a2 horns!..Goes down well with ditherers...and at shows..specially with the "lights" a going..

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks