• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915: Converting to all 12V

Irv

I have finished what the previous owner started, that being the complete conversion to 12V. The only downside is that the trailer light connector puts out 12v instead of 24v, but hold on to your horses! With a single $100 inverter off of ebay, you can power the mil connector, and be done with it. All mil lighting lines start as 12V lines, which control some relays that then gate 24V out to the plug. So, by lifting the feed source off of 12v and putting it on the output of the ebay inverter, I should get a healthy 20 amps to the lighting connector. Considering that the 12/24v alternator only puts out 15 amps at 24v, this exceeds the standard capacity a bit. Enough so to be able to add a funky mil radio in the cab. I have not actually added the inverter, because I don't plan on hauling a mil trailer. The schematic wiring diagrams support my plan, however.

As for the rest of the conversion, the starter was swapped out for a 12v one, as was the alternator. The 12 and 24v lines were just simply joined together. The fuel solenoid is supposedly 24v, but in my case, someone in the military or the Forest Service (a previous owner) must have changed it to 12v, because that is what I found in there, believe it or not. I changed out the relay by the ether can, but it may also have been a 12v unit, for all I know. I am going to check to see what it's pull-in voltage is. I think that relay runs the Jakes (which work fine, btw).

So there you have it. Pretty simple, and there is none of the hair pulling 12/24 stuff to deal with anymore. I have 3 group 31 truck batteries in parallel, although two will start the truck fine in 50 degree weather. Each battery has 950 CCA available. The last issue is the wire sizes. For a given power, if you halve the voltage as I did, you will need to push twice the current through the wire. Fortunately for us, the military over-does stuff to the point that there is no significant heating of the heavy battery cables that run to the starter or the alternator.

Foot note: The slave port on the side of the battery box now produces 12v, which is dandy for a 12v winch I have for recovery work. I can cable over to the winch with a standard NATO slave cable that I keep on board for jumping 24v vehicles. Now to find a flame suit to incur the wrath of the purists! :smile:

Irv

R Racing

I actually went the other way for different reasons. I bought a hummve ac unit which is 24 v and needed more 24v to run it. So I did a 24v 220 amp alt and then used a 24 to 12v equalizer. For my 12 v side. It was a easy wire up.and I can still jump my other truck with a slave cable.and gives me tons of juice to charge all 4 batteries

eldgenb

Yeah it is cool if it is the only green truck you own but I recover other trucks with my 920 and I need to have a strong 24v source to start up and recover old trucks.

Flat Black

im no electrical guru but I never understood the whole 24 volt thing. For something like a light or electric over hydraulic trailer brakes or a relay, it doesnt make enough difference to hassle with it, IMO. For things like car audio and other "normal" vehicle systems, I would say its kind of a pain....

Where you would see an advantage would be something like running a large inverter for an RV (converting 24 volts to 110 versus 12 volts to 110) or something like a winch, where using 24 volts would drastically improve performance and lower amp draw on your electrical systems.

I would be inclined to keep 12v for things like lights and radio/CB and HVAC, as that is what we use in America. Then for something like a winch or an inverter have that directly wired on a separate circuit maybe even switched since it would not be used all the time.

Last edited:

Irv

I tend to agree. I think they selected 24v for starting so it would be compatible with all the other 24v military vehicles, plus they needed 24v for mil trailer lighting. The rest of it is indeed all 12v.

quickfarms

12 volt or 24 volt has been an issue for years.

The military went 24 volt to start aircraft.

Some big civilian trucks were 24 volt to start the diesel.

Most if not all civilian trucks are now 12 volt.

I have a modern military truck and several trailers that were manufactured as 12 volt. the trailers use resistors to be compatible with the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks