• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Close call today - forklift accident

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess today was not my day to check out. Thank you Almighty. I was busy removing the boom tip from the P&H M320T 20 ton crane for painting. I was too lazy to start the crane and swing the house around and lower the boom, and there was a giant hornet's nest in the pulleys, and I was too lazy to get the hornet spray. So I stabbed the boom way too far to the left of the center of gravity to stay clear of the hornets. You can see the results. I remembered my OSHA forklift training and held tight! In the end, nothing was damaged. Moral: Don't take shortcuts with safety!!!

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
check that boom REAL close, the lacing, cord, next time place the fork lift UNDER the boom, right behind the boom tip, it willl balance a lot better, NEVER stab though a crane boom

dmetalmiki

So WHERE did the hornets go ..when you woke/shook them up??? luckily not in your direction obviously! Glad you are ok, as an aside (not bieng in the know) I would have thought it plain easy and staightforward to lower the the whole thing to the floor? or down to blocks? to work on..Or am I missing somehing?

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seroiusly though--- glad there were no injuries. (other than pride) But I might also add that carrying boom sections with forks is do-able if you take EXTRA EXTRA good care and don't ding lacing or cord. In Cali here, that will get you not only fired but crane certification will NOT be issued by certified inspector until certified welded fixes damage... meanwhile boss chases you out the front gate with a stick!:shock:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
most places WILL fire you on the spot for GOING THOUGH a crane boom with forks

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That fork truck looks to be to small to raise a span that heavy and wide more than a foot or 2 off the ground safely.

peecook

glad you're ok. the rest of the guys need to settle down with the judging, he posted it on here to help remind us, i think he'll remember going forward.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That fork truck looks to be to small to raise a span that heavy and wide more than a foot or 2 off the ground safely.
It would be ok if you catch it on balance and not go through the boom. If he had been under the boom with the forks the boom would have just slid off the forks (still not good but the forklift wouldn't have turned over). With the boom through the forks when the boom went to tip off the forks it couldn't because the forks were inside the boom, taking the forklift with it.

What I'd like to know is how you got the mess untangled. I'm thinking you may could just let the forks down and the lift would right itself. You risk causing further damage to the boom though doing this.

stampy

Glad you are Ok Thanks for the post. It never hurts to remind everyone that no matter how many times we hear it safety counts and we are all just one "short cut" away from a bad accident. Like the old addage measure twice and cut once...think twice...before taking a shortcut.

rickf

How many of you guys criticizing would have the gonads to put your screw-ups on here knowing full well what was going to happen? Lesson learned, lesson taught. Thank you sir. And what did come of the hornets?:razz: My guess would be that your butt was hanging on to that seat too tight to move quickly.:roll::lol::lol:

Rick

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you are alright! The "Man Upstairs" smiled on you! Thanks for sharing your misfortune here and allowing us to learn and re-learn.
God bless,
Tony

stampy

If you need recurrent training and a ROTFL

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks