• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unusual Goat and It just keeps swinging

Joe Gamma

Hey Guys,

I bought a goat from Texas ( From a good guy) and first thing I realise is the wiring system is 12 volts not 24...ok..The I notice the Bateries are incased in metal boxes but when I scrape away the red paint they have green underneith..A unit mod maybe...Then I call someone ordering two square metal plates for the bottom and he swears there is only one...I look and there is two square holes and two round ones...and the square ones are not the same size by of course an inch wide...

Any one else have a crazy mod Goat story..I will send pics..

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The square holes look like the were done by "other than the factory" See how the bolt holes and cut out aren't straight?

Emmett

Interesting. The aft square plate is the bilge pump access hole....or rather the 'dig out the oily junk hole'. Not that I'm an expert but haven't seen the front hole in a goat.
If the system was converted to 12 volts, I guess you would only need one battery and could use one of those boxes for tools or better yet, beer.

Joe Gamma

I actually think the second square panel was made by some upper echelon maintainance organization. I base most of that on they patched it again with an obvious attemt to seal it to keep its hull integrity. In its life the vehicle did take some serious wacks and most look like they were repaired to keep the hull water tight.

Joe

Joe Gamma

I thought it was a street mod from day one. The goat was bought surplus by an electrical power Company in Minnisota and the first thing they did was sand blast the goat, use yellow primer and a red paint. They converted it to 12 volts and I assumed put metal boxes to replace the Resein ones because with the artic cab I assumed cold weather duty. But when we scraped the boxes...

Oddly these battery boxes had a rubber type seal spray on them and when we scraped it it was green underneith..This shocked me and the guy restoring it. Trying to figure out the green on the box.

Joe

Joe Gamma

I have an old Vietnam guy restoring my my goat and when I brought this up he walked over to another vehicle which had the M-37 battery box and showed it to me stating.." It is not a M-37 Battery box"...I had to agree since he has restored military vehicles for the last twenty years....He said the box was spreayed green and then coated in a black rubber sealent? He felt no private company would go through this effort and it might be a mod for a Goat however rare in alaska ect serving in the cold weather...Sure he could be wrong but the inside and outside under the Rubber was green...

I certainly am not changing them since they are welded to the fuel tank...Just another occurence of my goat biting me in the ass....

Joe

Joe Gamma

True and I took it out again and even at Thirty Miles an hr it was a blast.. hard to explain until you own one...Monday I swap out fuel filters and see if it picks up some speed..never noticed the trailor either. I am really getting to enjoy it...

Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks