• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sealing a deuce fuel tank

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I need to seal the tank in my deuce. Any one have any recommendations on what brand of sealer to use? (had the tank boiled out recently and am now leaking from seam)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joel, my fuel tank was in pretty bad shape when I got it, many leaks especially where the support bands were. I cleaned the surface down to bare metal with a grinder/sander and applied fiberglass to seal it. Has been a year now and it appears to be good and tight.
Used fiberglass to seal off one of the inside baffels too for the two-tank system.

westfolk

Joel,
I have used "seal-all" for years. Wal-mart generally sells it(in auto sec.). Comes in a red, black, yellow tube. A couple ounces. Costs a buck something. Clean the surface real good and put it on. Unbelievable stuff, especially when you look at the price of it. I did a tank on an M135...around the straps and some pit holes near the drain plug....I'd say 10-11 years ago. Still not leaking. Be aware that the stuff really does not want to come off your fingers. No cleaner, solvent whatever I have found will get it off. Let it dry a little and then just work it off by rubbing your fingers together.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do you really need to seal a diesel fuel tank? I know gas will absorb moisture from the atmosphere, but isn't diesel "oily" enough to protect the interior from rust? The possibly NOS tank I picked up a bit ago had bare steel interior.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joel wants to seal it because of a seam leak after having it boiled. I would think diesel, being a thin oil, would prevent rust but its just not so. They can become a nasty mess inside. I've tossed a few for just that reason and so have many of the members. Who'da thunk!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tank I used (still use) for the dual tank project was rusty inside with the plating gone in many places, not to mention the pin holes repaired with fiberglass.
The specs of rust has caused a bunch of filter and valve problems over the last year with thousands of miles logged.
I now have another tank to worry about, the one for the 8x8. It's not the original aluminum tank, but a smaller used tank from a 5-ton M52. This time I'm determined to do the tank right, maybe one day I'll find the right tank for it, but meanwhile...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks