• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic power unit?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there such an animal? Say an A084 engine powered hydraulic pump.
Thinking about a engine driven pump for my crane as an alternative.
Not sure, but 20 hp should be enough.

Appreciate any info on this.

rmgill

What you're thinking is an APU in other words. Something tapped into the hydraulic system as an alternate source of power/pressure.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's right, a smaller engine powering a hydraulic pump, which can run the crane.
The present pump is driven via the pto by the deuce multifuel engine.
The idea is to eliminate long hours at high idle, which may have been part of the reason one of my injectors clogged.

PS. Haven't found anything wrong yet with the hydraulic head Jason and I replaced in Joplin , MO. Used it to verify the movement of the plunger, as a matter of fact.

hot rod deuce

any idea on the pump specs? I have a few similar units on rock crushers to run the jacks and other small items when the diesel in out of service

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be 10 gpm and 3,000 psi pressure. Rpm, perhaps 2,000.
20 hp should be sufficient.
There is short drive shaft between the pto and the pump. Yes it could be used if one fabbed a unit from scratch.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Northern tool & equipment catalog has alot of adapter stuff for hydraulics. I would check there first.

hot rod deuce

Yeah, my calculations come up with 21 HP at 3000 PSI so 20 should do er, I was thinkin if you could hide the motor in the frame, like an RV gen-set. Then just run another shaft and roller chain to the drive shaft. SO...you would just leave the pto from the truck in N and run off the little gas. If i guy could get a sprag on the gas motors drive sprocket it could "free wheel" when you ran the PTO with the diesel.

Wonder if the PTO would oil good enough turning in N with out the tranny turning?

rmgill

What you need is a surplus diesel engine and a hydraulic pump (2 stage?) that you plumb into your system. Run EITHER the Truck to run hydraulics or the APU.

You could run the coolant lines to the radiator for the truck and use the APU to warm the truck engine prior to start up and it would likely keep things nice and warm in the cab while running. I wonder if you could also add some sort of alternator to it as well to charge batteries?

hot rod deuce

hmm i like the double coolant system idea that does sound like a good deal but man getting complicated either system. by the time you have all that stuff you might as well use a multi-fuel and toss in an extra tranny and have the only twin engine deuce!

I still think the cheapest and most reliable rout would be a manual hydraulic jack pump and an "illegal minority contractor" to run it.

Most British ARV's and 434's have hiabs that run on an electric pumps...

OSO

Just saw your question Ditch witch Has small gas powered hydraulic units., I have 2, one is a power pac 14 which is a14hp gas Kohler Has a 2000psi relief single cylinder the other is a power pac 25 twin cylinder 2500psi relief valve , both are frame mounted self contained with reservoir, both have electric start DitchWitch makes for there underground equipment. I know this was posted back in Nov 2006 hope this is not to late. I know not army issue. OSO

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you are looking for is an Aircraft hydraulic Jenney. We use them everyday. They come up on GL every so often. Basically diesel, gas, or electric hydraulic power units that you could adapt to connect to your hoses to run the crane.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an old jaws of life power unit that probably would have done it- small diesel yanmar. It wouldn't have been fast, but I bet it would have done the job. I still have the pump, but stole the engine for my welder/gen.

I like the idea of it charging batteries and such, but then your power unit would just have to be bigger, with all those extras added in. Both in HP and the space it takes up. I like the idea, save the big engine some headaches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks